• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Girlfriend is Shobitch Anime's Promo Video Highlights Main Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
Well that seems like a pretty insulting name. I wonder what twitter thinks of this one.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
lol what's a "Shobitch"? Hopefully this gets a better title officially in English ...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
This is almost as bad as the main villain's name in Kick Ass 2.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
lol what's a "Shobitch"? Hopefully this gets a better title officially in English ...

The name in Japanese is "Boku no Kanojo ga Majime Sugiru Shojo Bitch na Ken"

Alternate english names by manga translators include the one in the title or "My Girlfriend Is a Virgin Who Takes Being Slutty Too Seriously"

It should also be noted that "Bitch" in Japanese is more akin to Slut than how we use Bitch in English.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I am guessing My Girlfriend is Shobitch will be lighter than My First Girlfriend is a Gal but that name is definitely going to get a lot of attention on Twitter. I think they should keep that name since people would watch it simply to see what the show is about. The girlfriend character is both cute and serious so as a fanservice show it has a lot of potential.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
So it's Schrödinger's Harlot? I'll probably end up watching it anyway because Voice cast seems good.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

The name in Japanese is "Boku no Kanojo ga Majime Sugiru Shojo Bitch na Ken"
Alternate english names by manga translators include the one in the title or "My Girlfriend Is a Virgin Who Takes Being Slutty Too Seriously"
It should also be noted that "Bitch" in Japanese is more akin to Slut than how we use Bitch in English.

Yeah, I was getting those "I do not think it means what you think it means..." vibe from the Japanese title.
It's a word they hear from American rap culture, without realizing what exactly urban black rappers were referring to. It, er, doesn't refer to a "Sho" girl trying too hard to be filthy, in either the white or black definition.

Fortunately, US anime companies do, so it should get a more creatively localized title if (and given most light novels, that's "if") it comes over here.
Merman-X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
so anyone here watched Aho-Girl? both the main girls are played by Aoi Yuki & features banana imagery, totally not a coincidence. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1