• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Character Designer Yoshikazu Yasuhiko Is Open to Remaking 1st Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
Well, I was kind of expecting a remake considering Origin and the 40th anniversary is in 2019. If you have regrets regarding the 1st series then all the more reason to do it.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
Well this could become big and controversial maybe.
Wonder how Tomino would feel?

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
I'd very much like that.

Just, uh... less CGI with the mobile suits, please. In The Origin OVA it's a big CG fest and that can detract from some scenes. Not all, but some. Otherwise, it's pretty solid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
I would also like that immensely.

Of course, I've been thinking for some time that Sunrise's approach to the OVAs only made sense if the end goal was a TV series. It wouldn't make sense to animate the backstory bits without adapting the whole thing.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Here's an radical idea. Reanimate the entire series and then sync the audio of the original to it.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
This is what i've been hoping for. (But also, Yasuhiko. You CAN show young people the original show and they can still appreciate and enjoy it. I didn't see the show until over 20 years after it's original release. And loved it as a young adult.)

But what i'd really love though, is some adaptation of Tomino's novel versions. Hnnnnnnnng
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
I thought The Origin was just that only with added content. I don't care if UC is the default timeline, I'm just sick of how they keep milking the damn OYW and aftermath series instead of expanding the AU or moving on to the Crossbone Vanguard story.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd very much like that.

Just, uh... less CGI with the mobile suits, please. In The Origin OVA it's a big CG fest and that can detract from some scenes. Not all, but some. Otherwise, it's pretty solid.

As for the CGI aspect, just think of this: why would sunrise animate it in hand drawn if there's no GUNDAM on it? Ofcourse, chances are they would be on CGI. The MSs here on origin where just a piece of metal robot prototypes for zakus and nothing else. And this OVA isn't your typical GUNDAM show that sells gunpla, except to those hardcore fans that collects all the gunpla they saw on TV. And it wasn't an action pack series either that got awesome epic mecha battles. The main objective here is to tell the origin story. Its just an origin story for the original gundam series without a gundam. So CGI would just do fine.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
But what i'd really love though, is some adaptation of Tomino's novel versions. Hnnnnnnnng

I'm sorry. I have mixed feelings about the novels, so I have to disagree.

Still, I thought remaking the original series was Sunrise's grand plan all along. Either that, animating Crossbone Gundam, or entirely remaking Gundam F91. I can't help but think along those lines with the Origin OVAs and the more recent Twilight Axis.

The Origin manga is cool though. It's really it's own thing like how the original Gundam is it's own thing.

Also, I've always felt that the original Gundam TV series really was something else. I mean, I understand how despite its flaws, some people even see it as sacred. Even watching it for the first time around 2010, I couldn't help but mutter in amazement, "What the hell is this?!" If you think about it from a creative standpoint, and put it in context, the series really was insane.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Here's an radical idea. Reanimate the entire series and then sync the audio of the original to it.

Would work if it was a 1/1 remake but I have a feeling Sunrise/Bandai would not allow for this and even Yoshikazu sounds like he wanted to do more. Especially considering he did the Origin manga. It just won't be the same since a couple of the voice actors have passed on such as Bright Noa's.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:18 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
MrBonk wrote:

I'm sorry. I have mixed feelings about the novels, so I have to disagree.

Still, I thought remaking the original series was Sunrise's grand plan all along. Either that, animating Crossbone Gundam, or entirely remaking Gundam F91. I can't help but think along those lines with the Origin OVAs and the more recent Twilight Axis.

The Origin manga is cool though. It's really it's own thing like how the original Gundam is it's own thing.

Also, I've always felt that the original Gundam TV series really was something else. I mean, I understand how despite its flaws, some people even see it as sacred. Even watching it for the first time around 2010, I couldn't help but mutter in amazement, "What the hell is this?!" If you think about it from a creative standpoint, and put it in context, the series really was insane.

Sunrise/Bandai is going to give us eternal blue balls in regards to Crossbone. Dangle that sweet sweet carrot in front of us with adding the units into more and more games and tease it in a series like Build Fighters, but never actually give us a series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:14 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
You CAN show young people the original show and they can still appreciate and enjoy it. I didn't see the show until over 20 years after it's original release. And loved it as a young adult.)

And yet the ratings were allegedly so piss poor when they aired it on American television, they couldn't get through the whole thing even once, despite two different attempts. (Personally I felt like that was just a smoke screen for somebody at the network simply just not liking it.)

I had to buy the final dub-only DVD to watch the last episodes. (Or did I get the movies first? Can't remember.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:22 am Reply with quote
For the future of the Gundam franchise, this HAS to happen.

I know it sounds crazy to imply that the Gundam IP is in any danger of losing profitability, but so much of what is made is built upon the story of the original series, and for younger viewers, the animation is so dated that it becomes an instant turn-off. A face-lift of the original OYW anime is exactly what the franchise needs to make it more marketable internationally & to bring in more new fans domestically.

I always suspected that this was in the cards for The Origin, but now that I'm seeing staff members discussing the possibility I'm even more hopeful that we're on our way to a full TV series!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd very much like that.

That would be my only requirement, even if the key-framed mechs weren't that well animated it will still be a step up from the awful animation of the original. They still key-frame some of their shows, so it is not like they can't do it.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 am Reply with quote
Another idea that comes to me as an avenue to explore for a potential remake. They do MSG as it was originally intended to be (52 episodes long) before it got canceled and they had to warp everything up fast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3