• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love and Lies (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Oh dang bro, those looks of jealousy in there, it was likes instincts that the girls picked up that there is competition or something. In honesty, I am kind of up for it, I have seen enough times that the genders would be reversed, that it is kind of cool we got this. Although, not cool to spoiler[kiss your friend] without permission. Bad touch.

But also. It looks like Ririko was more affected by it happening in front of her than she expected it, and Misaki might have caught on this.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Although, not cool to spoiler[kiss your friend] without permission. Bad touch.

This happens in manga constantly, even in 90s shoujo manga....and nobody cared back then but nowadays everyone's treating it like a second felony.... Rolling Eyes

I say "who the heck cares?" Rape and kissing are completely different.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
Chiibi ecchi.

I got told off for thinking it was wrong when Tuxedo Mask kissed a sleeping Usagi too. I don't know, people seem to think it is romantic, but what if some young girl was unconscious somewhere and some middle aged dude without permission went up and kissed her, I think in that case looks would be important, and I don't think it should. Permission of sort should be needed to make it romantic. In cases though, maybe I think about it too much because of things like anxiety.

But all the same, saying it was prevalent in shoujo manga makes me think of Kiss Him, Not Me, where the heroine finds that a few common tropes of aggressive romance by her suitors to actually be quite distressing, and they see that they should be more aware of her. Weird ideas of romance may not be too fun in practice, and weird Romanization can be damaging.

Look at me, the weird guy going on an unnecessary rant like I actually know anything.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I got told off for thinking it was wrong when Tuxedo Mask kissed a sleeping Usagi too. I don't know, people seem to think it is romantic, but what if some young girl was unconscious somewhere and some middle aged dude without permission went up and kissed her, I think in that case looks would be important, and I don't think it should.

Usagi and Mamoru are three years apart and she is deeply in love with him. So I fail to see why him kissing her when she's sleeping would be "wrong".

That's just silly. Do you think if she woke up during, she'd say "Ew, gross! Get off me, pervert!" ? Laughing

Anyway, depending on the context of the story, sometimes it's acceptable and sometimes it isn't. It depends on so much. It depends on the characters, it depends on the situation, it depends on the reactions, it depends on how it is portrayed to the audience. I don't think it should always be treated as an unforgivable thing. In Love and Lies, I think we can assume there will never be another chance like that again; that's why he did it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
There were people wondering how LGBT people might be treated in this world and there was someone in the preview thread, I think, who suggested that there is a gay character in this show. Seeing those comments I immediately thought of Nisaka, thinking that he might be gay. Fascinating that it turned out to be true.

I'm not gonna think badly of Nisaka for kissing his sleeping friend without permission. It ain't cool but I more like feel bad for him for falling for his straight friend.

However I'm still not really feeling the romance between Yukari and Misaki. I can forgive Yukari for being a fairly typical bland shounen male lead because at least he has flaws and weaknesses. However Misaki is too perfect. She is bland. It might be because we are like seeing her from Yukari's perspective or something but that doesn't really change much. She is still uninteresting.

Ririna is the reason I actually kinda like this show. It was weird though for her to encourage Yukari to kiss Misaki and then sit there like a meter away watching them do it. Though I did find it kinda cute how she was like hiding behind her pillow.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
The scene with Ririna telling them to kiss was weird and I liked it. It conveyed an emotion and mood I don't think I've ever seen/experienced before, and I can't quite describe what it was.

Sleeping kiss seemed a little off. We could have figured out that Nisaka was gay from them being more subtle about it (like I figured it out right before the kiss happened), so it wasn't necessary. I'm not going to really complain though.

Heavy kiss scene between Yukari and Misaki was incredibly arousing. In terms of fanservice, I like stuff like that rather than the kind of thing we commonly get in anime. I'm looking forward to this show continuing with that stuff.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Not much happened this episode but it seems like next episode might be a bit more eventful. I feel like it was odd for those government workers to ask where Misaki lives. Maybe they are concerned about what's going on between Misaki and Yukari and they were trying to see how Yukari would react? I don't know.

The backround music sometimes reminds me of Scum's Wish. Also for some reason I've started to really like the ending theme.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well, that was a pretty good episode. I liked how Ririna broke the ice at the beginning. I do wish this show would stop using the "2 people fall into a compromising position" trope. This was like the 3rd time already? Try something new. The conversation between Nisaka and Ririna was interesting though. We got to learn something new about this setting and the dilemma Ririna has to face makes for some possibly interesting drama.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of annoying tropes, the "we don't have enough confidence that the circumstances we created can create drama that we're going to arbitrarily create more drama by having everyone be unable to communicate even the simplest feeling" trope is strong with this show for every character but Ririna. It's why she's my favorite character by far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
I thought it interesting that Nisaka seems to have kind of written off his feelings by convincing himself how Hikari's future may be hurt by the problems of rejecting assigned partner. The big deal I think though is that he is afraid of getting hurt, that there would be nothing stopping Nisaka from confessing to Hikari, putting his feelings out, and perhaps then likely getting rejected and maybe losing his friend. I did think it kind of funny in how bad Nisaka was at cooking.
ditto526

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Please, it is not like we cannot see where this is heading, how often does the boy stick with the girl he loves in the beginning, does no happens very often, second girl starts to have feelings for the boy and low and behold can you guess what is going to happen? i have not read the manga and only seen the anime, but that is how i see it coming, have watch the first 4 episodes, but will watch the last episode and how it all ends, if i like the ending then maybe i will go back and watch the rest, i am so tired of watching a series and not have the first girl be the one who gets the boy.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Nine episodes in and yes, I've totally hopped aboard the Ririna ship.....if anyone else is curious. Anime hyper

They communicate well and seem to understand each other better. All Misaki and Yukari do is suck face. :p That will only get you so far when it comes to a relationship, kiddos.

Quote:
i am so tired of watching a series and not have the first girl be the one who gets the boy.

Um..............I dunno what rock you're living under but first girl NORMALLY wins; that's the rule of most romance shows and harem shows, anyway....

Why don't I help you out with some titles....

spoiler[
Ah My Goddess
Shakugan No Shana
Zero No Tsukaima
Mamotte Shugogetten
Itsuka Tenma No Kurousagi
Love Hina
Sumomomo Momomo
Sword Art Online
Steins;Gate
Fate/Stay Night
Steel Angel Kurumi
Suka Suka
Tsukuyomi Moonphase
Onegai Teacher
Date A Live
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Clannad
Da Capo
Masamune-kun's Revenge
]

Just to name a few.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode Last:

"And that's how I went with the polygamy option."

"There is no polygamy option."

Well, that was an ending, in the sense that there are no more episodes. It resolved essentially nothing, but hey, maybe one day Nisaka will get his wish and Yukari's lie turns out to be heterosexuality.

If you're too stupid to make decisions, maybe letting the government decide for you isn't that bad. They seem to have a pretty good success record here.

Once again, I'm feeling a great deal of sympathy to the nameless nobodies standing around, like the ladies fitting the dress or the photography team. It takes those Japanese manners of steel to avoid rolling their eyes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So I guess we got a semi original anime only non-ending, please read the ongoing manga? Those can always be a bit disappointing as mostly an anime only person who actually felt surprisingly invested in this one. Regardless, it looked like he was falling a little towards Misaki there, that they would try this scheme of breaking their assigned pairing up, which for those of us on the Ririna pairing sounds like a not too good thing.

To start at the appeal of this series, I will reaffirm the surprise that how it set me up to think I would totally be on the side of Misaki on all the cliché romantic stuff, and then with its next episode made me really appreciate how great Ririna would be for him. All without really making Misaki into a horrible person, that she did not love him either, and without a clear overdone problem that it is just lust that might not work out well in the future. It kind of left it to audience to think what might be better of a long running consensual crush between two pleasant people that just makes them want to make out, or a more character chemistry pairing where it felt like the two of them helped each other out with covering the other's weaknesses and the like. Because it appeared in the show, maybe we should ask if it is best with a Romeo and Juliet love story of star crossed lovers that have to be together, or that maybe the teenagers are being too reckless, and the pairing should be better in how well they get on together. No real answer is given, but of love and lies, but the assigned couple did seem to have some good intimacy.

So the series had me surprisingly invested, and was not nearly as harsh as I kind of expected due to its kind of similarity to another series. But it also kind of sagged in the middle I think. All the going back and forward, with no as of yet narrative decision of what is better, is kind of frustrating. It is frustrating in those harems which can go seasons without a proper choice, and frustrating in those series that have an obvious choice but also but never make it official, so it is frustrating here. It is why I have actually praised series that have kind of made the point that a decision has to be made and face it.

I rate this as Good (7/10), it is worth seeing, even if I would have like some more finality to it. Extra note that I found the OP catchy, it was one of the OP this season I would find myself humming it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
It was a decentish show. It had a relatively cool setting which was used just as a roundabout way to create a forbidden love/love triangle scenario. So it just turned into a relatively typical shounen romance show. Not bad, not great, somewhat enjoyable. Ririna was the best character. Misaki and the main dude were boring. Rated it decent. The end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3