• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kemono Friends' Rerun Gets a Kid-Friendly Opening

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Ehh...when I was a little kid, weird live-action openings like this to animated shows turned me off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
They replaced the OP? Why? The OP was fine the way it was. They should've replaced the ED. B-W pans over a dead amusement park didn't exactly fit the show's colorful fun style. The OP maybe didn't have the greatest animation, but it fit the show quite well I think.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
They replaced the OP? Why? The OP was fine the way it was. They should've replaced the ED. B-W pans over a dead amusement park didn't exactly fit the show's colorful fun style. The OP maybe didn't have the greatest animation, but it fit the show quite well I think.

Apart from (ahem) plenty of Friend shots, I can't think what wasn't "kid friendly" about the existing "La-la la-la, la-la-la-la la-la..." OP, which kept the pan up the roster of Friends hidden until each new Friend was revealed in the episode.

Quote:
the very same ones available in a current Ichiban Kuji lottery campaign.

Ah. THAT might explain it.

Quote:
Yoshizaki said:
For this day, they persisted in making it into an anime even little kids can watch. This is my second challenge after Sgt. Frog.

...I'm not quite sure how to take that. Confused
Probably does suggest that the late-night, um, viewership and fandom "apocalypse" preoccupation DOES seem to have distracted the show's image away from a kids' show that teaches about animals.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Ehh...when I was a little kid, weird live-action openings like this to animated shows turned me off.
Ditto, although I didn't like live action in general for a long time as a kid.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
While this new live-action opening of Kemono Friends is charming to the eye, it just isn't as fun as the GCI original.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
If they had just given the director Tatsuki several weeks he could have made another opening.

EricJ2 wrote:
Probably does suggest that the late-night, um, viewership and fandom "apocalypse" preoccupation DOES seem to have distracted the show's image away from a kids' show that teaches about animals.
Tatsuki has said in interviews that he wanted Kemono Friends to be a show that families could watch but it was intended to be a late night anime.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Well at least now Otaku can stop pretending this show is for adults.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Well at least now Otaku can stop pretending this show is for adults.
That is like saying that Pixar movies aren't for adults because they are family friendly. Whether a show is family friendly doesn't tell you the target demographic for that show.
QuarkboySam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
I've always suspected there is some kind of esoteric rule about certain kids programming time slots in Japan that requires shows to promote physical activity like dancing which is why pretty every anime for kids has a dance opening or ending.

I'm wondering if this replacement is their ham handed way of satisfying that rule.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1