• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gamers! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Seen as a romantic comedy, and looking at the opening and closing, we have three girls and two guys. It seems likely that someone will have a bad ending. Sad Actually, given that the one relationship already established is falling apart it is possible that no one will be romantically satisfied. Of course that is pretty much normal for high school romance (that is "practice" for the real thing).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I predict that Seaweed Head is going to lose. Otherwise I don't think Tasuku would have had that big moment in episode 02 about how suddenly smitten he is with Aguri.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

It was a fun episode. I like that this show puts so much focus on characters other than the main dude.

I guess I can get behind this episode's message, sort of. I enjoy challenge, I often play games on the highest difficulty setting. The feeling of beating a difficult encounter is very satisfying indeed after losing multiple times.

However I also play a lot of multiplayer FPS games and have played them "competitively" as well (online only). Due to my competitive attitude I hate losing. I have played multiplayer FPS games for so long that I tend to form one-sided rivalries with other random players that I perceive as good. I hate when they kill me much more than I enjoy killing them. It gets to the point that I want to avoid losing so much that I avoid the good player. If I do badly, I rage. My kill to death ratio has to be above a certain point or I'll get mad. Sometimes I wish I could be a greenhorn n00b again so I could celebrate small accomplishments and not worry about losing as much.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I do think that there is a level of introspection that I enjoy, as someone who tended to refer to myself as being a pretty pro player, but have kind of come to respect games in other ways. In high school it was all Halo (2 and then 3), and I was pretty good against those I played against. We even had kind of a game club for a time, which mostly had us playing in a science room over the school LAN, I got to be the senior for the whole thing. But I don't think I was that good online, although for a time I might have built a bit of time in I think Halo 3 online where I was good at stealth and assassination, my user name here is a remnant of that. You don't stop caring about winning despite maybe not trying to be too serious, so when I Smash Bros where there are some pros and some maybe not so, it kind of becomes my mission to fight the stronger players and give noobs also a chance to come out on top, even if I hate losing. And I actually kind of want a level of randomness, that I am not perfect at a game, but respecting the people who can say play Dark Souls in a single hour.

Seeing Tendou freak out in the episode was pretty fun, she is funny to watch in an expressive way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
HA! Told ya. There was no way Aguri would have been NOBE. Seriously, guys, any time I say something from now on, just accept it blindly. Wink

This show still has a lot of chuckles for me (i.e. Tasuku apologizing to passersby after he flips out in public), but I am getting a little tired of the constant misunderstandings.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I am wrong, I will admit it. Dusky was super wrong. Which makes me confused over what the point of that scene was where he seemed to notice something on his computer.

It did set up some funny scenes where Tasuku is shocked over them having much of the same taste, buddies on a game, and Keita a fanboy of her game creation, and yet they act like the other is just the worst. Also funny was him being told that dating sims are not accurate, which ironically reminds me of a Game Theory video.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 am Reply with quote
Well, deep down I obviously.. umm... always knew that Chiki is NOBE. Totally.

I personally find the misunderstandings to be pretty funny so I don't mind that there are plenty of 'em.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yep, I am wrong, I will admit it. Dusky was super wrong.

An infallible way to recognize this in the future would be to compare what you write with what I write. If they differ, you'll know you're wrong! Hee-hee-hee, God, I'm obnoxious...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
An infallible way to recognize this in the future would be to compare what you write with what I write. If they differ, you'll know you're wrong! Hee-hee-hee, God, I'm obnoxious...

No you are not.
Wink
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Seen as a romantic comedy, and looking at the opening and closing, we have three girls and two guys..

Here's why I love this series: It's really three girls and three guys. The other guy who joined Gamers to get close to Tendou, I forget his name... or that he occasionally exists. I have the feeling it's entirely on purpose.

And wait, I thought DP said Aguri was Mono... But he said she was NOBE? Was I not paying attention? This series is less like a romantic comedy, more like a game of Clue and I badly need a scorecard.

Even I noticed that once the "moe" thing came up, Chiaki lost the right to be Mono. Or is it need? The "casualness" maybe.

Also, I'm always going to be two episodes behind because reasons but I just wanted to pop in and say how much I love this series. It may end in utter disappointment but I'm willing to risk it when the components are this good.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Ok, I feel like they were going a bit overboard with all these misunderstandings in this episode. There was too much intense internal monologue that I feel like bogged this episode down a bit. Also the whole weird misunderstanding about Aguri and Tasuku looking at each other guiltily near the end made little sense to me. I felt like the show was really reaching for another misunderstanding there. Not to mention Chiki and whatever it was that she managed to conjure up in her mind. Well, it was still kinda funny and so I did still really enjoy this episode. That ending was just too great.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
At first it kind of felt like the internal monologues were bogging it down, but I think it ended up being one of the major draws in seeing the monologues make them all act like a mix of scared and silly and or creepy fools. And although I was anxious for some resolution in the episode, seeing the repeats of the clock of all the internal monologue of each character at once was actually pretty funny as the fruits of the set up.

As for Aguri and Tasaku looking at each other guiltily, Tasuku would look at Aguri to see her reaction, Aguri thought that if he was looking at her it would mean it was a ruse that he was not expecting for Amano and was thus cheating with Tendou, while he thought that if she looked at him it was the same but she was with Amano. The joke may be that they are kind of the same in the poker faces they put on to hide their anxiety of the other cheating had them "look" guilty.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry guys, I'm back!

Episode 4: As much as I like this series, this episode seemed like an absolute waste. Definitely had some laughs, but definitely pointless. At first, I was excited because I thought we were finally going to learn how and why Tendo started to like Amano, but the episode literally skips over that! We're shown Tendo before the crush, and immediately transition to Tendo overwhelmingly obsessed with Amano. The story doesn't progress an inch, and we learn nothing.

Episode 5: Ah, much better Smile Aguri continues to be the best character. It's nice to see her develop a comfortable friendship with Amano, and it's hilarious seeing Tasuku deviously trying to build Amano a harem. I'm interested in seeing if this newly formed Gamers Club will interact competitively with the other game club (who's members remain an inigma.) I want to like you Tendo, but you're too bland for me to enjoy right now...

Episode 6: Baha! Now that's the kind of comedy I'm talking about! Everyone's panic snowballing and manifesting itself into deranged expressions the other classmates can't help but notice was definitely entertaining to watch, especially with Amano just sitting there clueless. Amano was hilarious this episode! Him straight up ditching that video game girl and juking out of Tasukus arm rest had be busting a gut! The ending took me by surprise, but I doubt they'll actually become an item. Maybe they'll go with it for a day or something, but after a bit in certain they'll go back to being friends.

Also checked out the dubs, and I think it's pretty solid overall. This is the kind of series I don't mind watching a second time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm with Cam0 on this one. I definitely got some chuckles out of facial expressions and some of the other stuff, but more often I felt the way that clock in the classroom did: like time was not ever going to advance. I know others feel differently and each new misunderstanding is JUST A LAFF RIOT!!! but I'm done with misunderstandings. Let's get some development in here, please.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
EPISODE 8

And after tightening and tightening and tightening, the guitar string finally snaps! Two misunderstandings have been cleared, thankfully salvaging Aguri and Tasukus relationship. Tendo continues to be snoresville for me (after giving us nothing half a season in, I just dislike as a character now.) The part with Chiakis sister was nice (were those extras pulled straight out of Student Discretion or what?). I'm hoping she just ends up seeing Amano as a friend instead of a love interest, expanding his group. After what Chiaki found out, the less distractions, the better. Those final lines from Tasuku made me feel so bad for her :/

I need to find a board game that hilariously specific lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6