• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My First Girlfriend is a Gal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Given the adaptations speed with doing each of the supporting gals in 1 episode we should get all of Nene's story next time, though in the manga she came before Kashi's story.

Which would have them caught up to the manga so IDK what they'll do after that. They'll either go back to do the kissing stuff with Yukana or just jump on the Anime-Original train.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I.. kinda like this show. Because I feel like it does actually have some stuff of interesting thematic value, I like this kind of fanservice where the girls are taking more control and we aren't served 20 minutes per week of blushes and accidental panty shots, and I like (anime)gyaru a bit, to be honest. Unfortunately, the show is bogged down by a lot of pretty lackluster execution, and generally sloppy writing. One of the things that bothered me a bit in episode 4 was how jarring Ranko's role was. I mean, she literally spoiler[attempted to rape MC-kun] last week, and is now being framed as a good friend. I think he even mentioned being happy to have a good friend like her. Like... uh... what? She's been shown to be ultimately quite mischievous, and not a very good person, and doing what she did to Kashii makes sense and is totally in character. But Junichi appreciating her actions and considering her good, displays either an extreme lack of intelligence, or some really poor writing, in my opinion.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Next episode focuses on the "loli" with oversized mammary glands... Most ridiculous character of the bunch IMO.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
But Junichi appreciating her actions and considering her good, displays either an extreme lack of intelligence, or some really poor writing, in my opinion.

View it from the MC perspective, one moment Boa has him by the balls (break with your girlfriend or I will show her this audio and make her break with you and either way you can become my personal dog) and out of nowhere come the power rangersRanko and makes the Serious Gyaru cease and desist (for now), He has not forgotten what almost happened the previous day, but she gets brownie points for saving his relationship with Yume; she might change her mind but actions are more important that intentions in the real world. Had she actually raped or beaten him to a pulp, yeah, that could not have been so easily let go.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
One of the things that bothered me a bit in episode 4 was how jarring Ranko's role was. I mean, she literally spoiler[attempted to rape MC-kun] last week, and is now being framed as a good friend. I think he even mentioned being happy to have a good friend like her. Like... uh... what? She's been shown to be ultimately quite mischievous, and not a very good person, and doing what she did to Kashii makes sense and is totally in character. But Junichi appreciating her actions and considering her good, displays either an extreme lack of intelligence, or some really poor writing, in my opinion.

Yeah in reality, Junichi would probably have a different reaction to what Ranko did. I think at least him appreciating her for getting him out of the situation with Kashii follows as regardless of how he might feel about what else she has done, that was definitely a good thing even if it was mainly done for Yukana's benefit. I think her actions of the last episode were playing to...a particular fantasy and it seems like his reaction is more in line with that segment of the audience's reaction rather than what his would be in real life. That doesn't make it good writing but I could see why it might be done.

Also, I'm getting tired of the big pedo's shit. Even his friends want him to shut up about it. I was cringing so hard when he was watching that video of the dog licking the little girl's face. Out of context, a cute video, but with a guy like that watching it Shocked *shudder* NOOOOOPE.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I do like the creative censoring they are using in this show, reminds me of how Testament of Sister New Devil did it. I could do without the vocals effects when they do, though; just makes it far too difficult to actually hear the cast talking at the same time.

His rejection of Nene was absolutely fantastically done I thought. He may be a bit of creep still, but he still has some respect; not just for his gal, but for Nene too. The struggle felt believable to me, and had it been me at that age (yeah, I wish lol!) I don't know if I would have been able to do what he did.

Me wrote:

The three friends are annoying as hell, but nothing that we haven't seen in so many anime before. Issei's friends in High School DxD, the friends in KissxSis, Sawamura in To Love-Ru, Hopefully they quickly fade from relevance as they so often do in other series...

I'm genuinely surprised they are still as prominent in the series as they are.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably going to hell for this, but Minoru's reaction to Nene had me laughing pretty hard. Not sure why to be honest, since every other scene with him, including the map, I really just want him to go away.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
So as of episode 6 we've entered full on anime original stuff, we've passed what the manga was at.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
^
I'm seeing four tankoubon listed so far for the source manga. Surely the first five episodes didn't cover all of that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
I'm seeing four tankoubon listed so far for the source manga. Surely the first five episodes didn't cover all of that?

It did though

Yui's stuff is the most recent chapters, they moved her before Nene but the series has pretty much passed the manga, this episode was not in the manga.

The anime changed a handful of stuff, in the manga Nene doesn't show up till her makeover and Yui is the same.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
This show reminds me a lot of Green Green only with far less likable characters.... somehow. I was hoping for more of a cross between Super Gals and Yamada's First Time but ended up with Shimoneta mixed with a PG 13 gal hentai.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey Key, are you watching the Simuldub? If so, what do you think of it so far?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I did like how it turned on the guys after the trying to manipulate the situation, and thus the girls general had an alright and fun time.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
So as of episode 6 we've entered full on anime original stuff, we've passed what the manga was at.

Oh really? Somehow I like it better so far. Like that subarashii display of BL... Twisted Evil
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Pretty frustrated by Junichi this episode. For plot reasons, I understand the decision, but if his goal was to get closer to Yukana(and it obviously is), after her literally agreeing to spend time with him alone at her house, you have to pretty much lack any kind of brain at all to then continue on to invite all of your friends over. I know that was the original plan, but the plan's purpose, as far as he is concerned, was to get him closer to Yukana... and then he talked himself right out of the best possible scenario for himself. I don't really buy it in the way the show wants us to, as him not realizing what he just gave up, because he literally invited himself over to her house for that purpose to begin with. Anyway, that was frustrating. Somehow the episode saved itself a little on his interactions with Yukana toward the end of the episode, and the fact that she's actually an intelligent person makes the show still slightly more than bearable to watch. Feels like a lot of wasted potential overall though. Oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5