• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Back from the Grave

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
First, it seems that I can't subscribe to the podcast. I mean I usually just listen to it on the site or watch it on Youtube so it doesn't prevent me from following it, but if it isn't just a individual issue, I thought it would be good to bring it up.

Second, nice to see that Zac also thought Otakon's first year in DC was good. I enjoyed it very much but since it was my first year (and first larger convention in general), I didn't have anything to compare it to, so getting the perspective of someone that has been to previous ones and regularly goes to larger conventions was nice. I definitely want to go again next year.

I think Maruyama's panel may have been light more because the show highlighted (Onihei) than other factors. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a good panel, and I got some clarification on the role of his new studio, M2, but yeah, not a lot of people.

I disagree with it, but I can respect Jacob's opinion on the Monogatari franchise (and also his wanting not to go into it in much detail). I think Araragi's character is more complex than "Always right Woman-saver" though if he only saw the first season, I can see where that is coming from. I discussed this a bit in response to Gabriella's similar take on Monogatari (and Oregairu) in her review of Sagrada Reset, but I do think that they portray his brand of "selflessness", or "woman-fixing" in Gabriella's terminology, as incorrect and something he must, and importantly does, move past (in the later seasons), though it doesn't say that that stance is entirely without value. Fair point on the pedo stuff though (one might also throw in the incest from Nise onward). I don't think that this is enough that I think Jacob ought to give it another shot, or that Zac should watch it in contravention to the advice of people who he trusts, and I respect Jacob's desire not to get into it more.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
First, it seems that I can't subscribe to the podcast. I mean I usually just listen to it on the site or watch it on Youtube so it doesn't prevent me from following it, but if it isn't just a individual issue, I thought it would be good to bring it up.

Did you update your podcast feed url? You should be able to access the same feed by just changing the url to .cc
I'm just staying subscribe to both the new feed url and the old one for the time being until they officially get their original url back.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

Did you update your podcast feed url? You should be able to access the same feed by just changing the url to .cc
I'm just staying subscribe to both the new feed url and the old one for the time being until they officially get their original url back.

I haven't subscribed previously. When I go to click the subscribe button on iTunes, it does nothing on the PC version and gives me an error message saying "Unable to Subscribe The provided link is not a valid Podcast" when I do it on my phone
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I enjoyed it very much but since it was my first year (and first larger convention in general), I didn't have anything to compare it to, so getting the perspective of someone that has been to previous ones and regularly goes to larger conventions was nice.

This is my view as well. Everything seemed comfortable and well-managed at Otakon, but without a relevant means of comparison this praise may come as somewhat hollow.
I am glad I followed my friends into the screening of In This Corner of the World. As horrid as the film is in a strict sense, and as disjointed as it initially seems in a looser one, the appending of such horror to a gentle story of humour and cheer is alone something worthy of experiencing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
It's good to hear that Otakon's transition to DC went well.
Some of my best and worst convention experiences were with Otakon and its Baltimore location, I was there waaay back in 95 when it was still in State College PA, and then again when it was in Maryland, but I really started going back in the early 2000's when it was in Baltimore and my last stint was back in 2012.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
As someone with a little Otakon experience, I can guarantee that this year was significantly better than last year in Baltimore. The facility is just a million times better. Not to mention the layout is incredibly straightforward, so you can pretty much head in the direction you want to go and eventually end up there regardless of how far away it is. It's just a big rectangle. No windy maze-like passages and confusing areas. It's very convenient and efficient.

zrnzle500 wrote:

I haven't subscribed previously. When I go to click the subscribe button on iTunes, it does nothing on the PC version and gives me an error message saying "Unable to Subscribe The provided link is not a valid Podcast" when I do it on my phone

Hmm, I wonder if you can manually change the url that Itunes uses. I bet they have the hacked one. I use RSS, and often forget that's not how the majority do things anymore. If you have a device that can read RSS, you could try that and it should work. If all goes well, we will just have the normal site and url back within the next couple of weeks, and won't have to worry about that anymore.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
@zrnzle500

Why would you need to subscribe to the podcast? You seem to be here almost everyday (as I am). Just watch it off the main page, or if you have to use ITunes go to it when it is posted on the main page.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@zrnzle500

Why would you need to subscribe to the podcast? You seem to be here almost everyday (as I am). Just watch it off the main page, or if you have to use ITunes go to it when it is posted on the main page.

It was more that I just subscribed to the Anime World Order Podcast after I saw a panel by one of their members (the Anime in Non-Anime one) and I thought while I was at it I could subscribe to ANNcast too. It would make it easier to listen to in the car if I wanted to as well.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Hey, thanks for the feedback about the RSS - I'm not quite sure how to get it going again but I've asked Dan to take a look when he has a moment. Dan's understandably busy lately, but I'll update you when I know more.

Thanks for listening!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Monogatari is very polarizing. I am a fan, but I can 100% understand and respect why Jacob hates it with a passion.

Also, it's not that Araragi is a pedophile. It's that he's ALSO a pedophile.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Since you specifically asked, on the YT player, Jacob's audio is still at lower volume than Zac's, although on the Quicktime player they're at equal volume. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be where I could barely hear Jacob at all if Zac's audio was at normal levels, but it's still just annoying enough that if I want to watch the video, it's worth the trouble to play the Quicktime audio synced to the muted YT video.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with your disdain for Monogatari, but it is good to have you back. I wanted to watch the show live yesterday, but I did not have time. Going back to Monogatari, Koyomi can be a huge creep, but this is one of the most interesting anime franchises; it is probably my favorite anime franchise of all time.

On Ikuhara's new work, it would be great if he became more recognized and made a ton of money, but I love his style. He can keep making weird and enigmatic anime and I will be happy. To me the only other great anime artist comparable to Kunihiko Ikuhara was the late Satoshi Kon.

And finally, I don't know what Jacob and Zac are talking about, but 2007 was a very strong year for anime. Ten years ago 5 Centimeters Per Second, Baccano!, Clannad, Claymore, Darker Than Black, Emma: A Victorian Romance Second Act, Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone, Ghost Hound, Gurren Lagann, Lovely Complex, Moribito, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei came out.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Jacob mentioned the lack of music in Ballroom, since that was one of the first things that put me off about it since the first episode, before Sengoku's shittiness crossed a line and when Shizuku actually had some modicum of character. For a show about dancing, the music seems to be pretty much an afterthought.

People are probably sick of the comparisons to Yuri on Ice, and I get it because they are such radically different shows, but because they both focus on a similarly performative type of sport I think it's inevitable, so I'll do that comparison again: Look at how Yuri on Ice used the music, having over 20 new songs commissioned exclusively for the skating sequences and working the programs around that music, then making the music part of the characters' stories (like Phichit and his King and the Skater songs) or personalities (like King JJ or Chris's Intoxicated music). It really brought those skating programs to life. The dancing here, even the parts that are animated as opposed to a series of still frames, seems completely divorced from the music. There's music because there needs to be, but no attention is given to it whatsoever and the choreographies barely sort of match the music, which definitely doesn't help to make the show more compelling
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Hey, thanks for the feedback about the RSS - I'm not quite sure how to get it going again but I've asked Dan to take a look when he has a moment. Dan's understandably busy lately, but I'll update you when I know more.

Thanks for listening!

I suspect it's going to be better for most people to just wait things out until the .com domain is back, and use the web viewer or download and manage individual MP3s as needed for the time being.

Changing the feed URL to .cc works for me in Apple Podcasts but not in Overcast.fm (which seems to be latching onto the iTunes Store feed, which shows Kemono Friends as the latest episode).

For anyone who wants to get nerdy, and can understand Unix (y'know, like that girl in Jurassic Park):
Code:
curl http://animenewsnetwork.cc/anncast/rss.xml?podcast=audio > anncast-aug-2017.xml

results in a 301 - moved permanently, but you can see the proper contents if you just load up that URL in Chrome, Brave or Firefox (but not Safari).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
OK, sorry to be the next post after my own, but it's been eight hours and I've had time to listen to the episode.

So, here's why I asked about Crunchyroll Expo: a first-year con attracting the kind of guests they're getting is obviously unusual. There's probably a comparison you could make to Otakon Vegas and how that's tried to get up and going(*). Sure, huge difference between CRX getting a spot in the late summer, while OV staked out a very usual spot in early January. But still, it's kind of crazy for the first event to be as big as it is.

(* aside: is there even going to be an Otakon Vegas 2018? No date on their web page)

But thinking about it, CRX probably doesn't have to cover its costs just with registrations. There's probably some dollar figure that Crunchyroll is willing to take as a loss on this event, and still have it be worthwhile to them. And that's because its outreach to the anime community pays for itself in other ways.

I keep kicking around this pet theory: we all know Crunchyroll has 1 million paid subscribers, but what gets forgotten from that announcement is that they also have 20 million registered users who aren't paying subscribers. Those are presumably people who watch with ads, which surely doesn't bring in the $100/yr that a subscriber would. If I'm Crunchyroll, my best growth plan is probably to flip some of those members to full premium plans. Converting just 5% of them doubles my subscriber base. So it's probably worth spending money going to lots of cons to win people over, having goodies for premium subscribers at cons, and ultimately, putting on my own con.

You know how DirecTV will give you 3 months of HBO and a season of NFL Sunday Ticket and god knows what else to get you to sign up? That's calculated -- it's worth $500 to recruit a new customer, because they'll get it back in subscriber fees over the years. I bet Crunchyroll is probably in the same position. So even if this event doesn't pay for itself just with registrations, it's worth it to them to raise their esteem and cred with anime viewers, and to get fans to spend more money with the company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2