• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Anime That Were Isekai Before It Was Cool

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
I always found it interesting that Now and Then, Here and There's protagonist was made into the silly and dimwitted hero of Legendz.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
El Hazard, Magic Knight Rayearth and Now and Then, Here and There were my jam when i was young.

Now and Then, Here and There was very depressing to watch since it dealt with kids who were forced to be child soldiers, abused or raped.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Surprised at the absence of Escaflowne on the list. That would have been my number one pick.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Surprised at the absence of Escaflowne on the list. That would have been my number one pick.

Ditto

Also SAO and inuyasha are not isekai. They're still in the same world.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
I was hoping Those Who Hunt Elves would make the list. Two girls, a guy, a tank, and a bunch of elf-girls they have to strip naked, because 1990s anime reasons.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't Kyo Kara Maoh! fall into this category? It even puts a twist on the harem genre.

Last edited by SonicFanA on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote

Same here, although I definitely have no complaints about the choices that were made! This list really goes back to my formative years as a fan. I'd be curious to know when "isekai" became the blanket term to describe these types of shows, though. I don't remember hearing the term until after SAO became a breakout hit, and yet they've obviously been around for a long time, from the 90's shows on this list through the next generation of shows like .hack and into the present.

As for the poll question, looking at the list of choices made me realize that the only baseball anime I've ever actually watched in its entirety was the old Azusa Will Help OVA! I am interested to watch Touch someday, though, if I ever have time for it.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
If SAO is considered Isekai then wouldn't .hack be a better contender?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Also SAO and inuyasha are not isekai. They're still in the same world.

Also, in Now and Then, Here and There the 'other' world is heavily implied to be Earth in the far future...
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
SAO technically is in another world, not on the planet Earth or in the same Universe. While the Real Life events sure, however El Hazard I believe fell in the same situation as well.

Inuyasha is more arguable as not being an Isekai as it's suppose to take place in Historical Japan, however it's unlikely that Demons and such existed. Laughing

Last edited by SaitoHajime101 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Why isn't Escaflowne on there? I personally love Digimon and Magic Knight Rayearth. I found them to be very good! Now And Then Here and There...I liked it, but not too much. I do own the series on DVD, though!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Surprised at the absence of Escaflowne on the list.

I figured it would be there too, but I'm not a huge fan, so I'm ok with its absence.

Big Windup would be my second choice for favorite baseball anime, but Ace of Diamond gets my vote just for its OST. And Miyuki. And the fact that I think it's the only baseball anime where the ball almost always remains round when pitched or hit, rather than morphing into a wobbling oblate pancake. Seriously, never have baseballs been so beautifully rendered as in AoD. Very Happy

It got off to a rocky and frustrating start, but I grew to love this series so much that I actually read the manga from where it left off. Only to be reminded of why I hate reading manga - I still can't tell if the flash of light and particles over the catcher's glove means the ball was hit or caught until they tell me on the next page or panel. I so want them to animate the rest of this when the manga ends, but they probably won't unless Mizuno wants to bankroll it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't The Twelve Kingdoms count? I was slightly expecting to see that on this list.

I haven't seen that many baseball anime. Major is one of my favourite anime of all time so it was an easy choice.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously, never have baseballs been so beautifully rendered as in AoD.

Cross Game has fantastic accurate baseball action, though for sentimental reasons I had to vote for Touch among the various Mitsuru Adachi series.

Twelve Kingdoms is an interesting example of isekai because the anime only character added is one of those genre savvy types who are the main character in so many of the recent isekai works- except she's wrong because she's not the main character thus gets no plot armor.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Doesn't The Twelve Kingdoms count? I was slightly expecting to see that on this list.

I'd say it definitely counts and seriously why hasn't this been license rescued and a new BD put out? Along those lines I don't get why Now and Then, Here and There hasn't gotten a BD release in Japan. There's plenty of old stuff that has made the move to BD and I wouldn't mind seeing that show getting the same treatment and then eventually wind up here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4