• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Holding Out for a Heroman

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Let me just sniff your back Spooderman...
Mmm living the dream
Bamble

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
What happened with Heroman and Disk Wars was pretty disappointing, what with both series dubbed in their entirety and buried by Disney. What happened with Disk Wars still surprises me to the day, considering the dub made use of multiple actors already established at playing many of the characters, so it was likely to not be a relatively cheap off-the-cuff production.

Back in the happier times with Stan Lee Media, in 2000, I remember being quite excited by a proposed adaptation they were going to do of Gene Roddenberry's Starship, with involvement from both Stan Lee and no less than Leiji Matsumoto.

Being a fan of that triumvirate, I think this was the single biggest project that I was disappointed never progressed any further. Even back then during the then-second Matsumoto anime boom (c. 1998-2004), it seemed a little too good to be true, but I do still wonder what development work was done on that project.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I can help you a little regarding the dub for episode 1 of Heroman. It was shown at Anime Expo 2010, right after the Toshihiro Kawamoto panel. I thought it was really well done! The name of the company that did the dub was Wowmax Media! (the exclamation point is actually part of the company's name). I tried to obtain a copy through a friend, but wasn't successful. My friend corroborated Robbie Daymond's story, telling me that they only dubbed the first episode "to see how it would do" - meaning, try to drum up interest in the series for local distribution. However, I don't doubt that another company did the dub for Malaysia.

As for Heroman itself, I enjoyed it very much. The show really captures suburban Los Angeles; specifically, Torrance, CA. My takeaway after watching a few episodes was that the creators of the series must have spent some time in Southern California and taken lots of research photos, because the feel of the locale really rings true.

Steve Kindernay
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:

As for Heroman itself, I enjoyed it very much. The show really captures suburban Los Angeles; specifically, Torrance, CA. My takeaway after watching a few episodes was that the creators of the series must have spent some time in Southern California and taken lots of research photos, because the feel of the locale really rings true.

Steve Kindernay

I remember Zac and Justin talking about how true-to-life Heroman's depictions of LA felt, so I believe it. Dead palm trees on the side of the road, that kind of thing.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I remember Zac and Justin talking about how true-to-life Heroman's depictions of LA felt, so I believe it. Dead palm trees on the side of the road, that kind of thing.

Yeah, BONES really did a good job! It feels like LA (in a good way). Smile
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
There were a lot of things I liked about Heroman. What I didn't like was Will and the way his parents talked about Joey. They never even bother to get full details on him. He lost his parents at a young age, works part-time at a diner, takes care of his grandmother, but they wouldn't know that because to them, all poor people are bad influences. And let me not get started on Will. What the hell was his deal? He pretends to be the good brother, but all does is bully and harass his sister's friend (talking about Joey). He's also the reason their parents think Joey's nothing, but gutter trash. Will couldn't even redeem himself after spoiler[he turned into an alien].

I just disliked him so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2