• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Reveals Plans to Dub Anime into Foreign Languages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
Good news. More expanding the audience the better for them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
I am still upset at Crunchyroll for not saying anything about Re:Zero at their expo, but this multiple languages dubs seems like a smart initiative. Hopefully it is very successful for them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
This announcement is *HUGE* This puts Crunchy up there with Netflix (and Carton Network to a lesser extent) as a source of dubbed anime for Latinamerica, the drought had been so long Anime cry

To those predicting the funi-crunchy deal DOA, let me remind you that Sony is in this for the profits, they do not have a huge money reserve to invest in streaming and they are against Netflix and Amazon (who do have huge budgets for streaming) and there is even a risk that Hulu or Apple might join the fray. If they end the deal Funi will get half of the series, maybe less because Hidive is hungry for new exclusives.

In summary, I bet that after they are dubbed to spanish, those series will be released in DVD (and hopefully bluray) by Sony. Likewise, I bet we will see Full Metal Alchemists spanish dub (owned by Sony) in Crunchyroll.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Not sure about the business end of this, but I'm simply happy to have anything that makes anime more accessible worldwide.

Since the article mentions French, it makes me wonder what the target is: France itself, or the entire Francophone world (including Africa).
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:

I'm very sorry for those still hoping for the Funi+Crunchy partnership. It's done. Sony TV will null the partnership once they acquire Funimation. There really is no need for Crunchyroll in a world with dubs and that's what Crunchyroll has found out hence the move to try and beat Funimation to the other dub markets (I used to watch Crunchy for 15+ shows a season. Now, with so many simuldubs I only watch the good shows not getting a dub and there aren't many).

Funimation themselves are said the purchase isn't changing the partnership. They are still dubbing and producing the home releases of Crunchyroll owned shows.

Until there is a formal announcement from Crunchyroll or Funimation, all anyone is doing is speculating/fear mongoring.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dubs will be available on a region-specific basis.

Does this mean it's region blocked? I'd love to be able to watch the Spanish dubs, and I'm sure many in the US would also.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean it's region blocked? I'd love to be able to watch the Spanish dubs, and I'm sure many in the US would also.

I think it would be dumb for Crunchyroll to block spanish dubs in the USA since ~12% of the population speaks spanish. My guess is that statement means that they will block american spanish (aka latino) dubs in spain since they dislike our dubs (saying that how we speak the language is wrong, heck, not even the british do that nowadays).
leelee85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Fenrin wrote:
Quote:

I think it would be dumb for Crunchyroll to block spanish dubs in the USA since ~12% of the population speaks spanish. My guess is that statement means that they will block american spanish (aka latino) dubs in spain since they dislike our dubs (saying that how we speak the language is wrong, heck, not even the british do that nowadays).

Well maybe Anime Strike (Amazon) will do the same thing soon if they want to stay competitive with Crunchyroll (Funimation)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:
Well maybe Anime Strike (Amazon) will do the same thing soon if they want to stay competitive with Crunchyroll (Funimation)

IMO Amazon would dub first series they own (the so called Amazon Originals) before dubbing any anime (which they only lease for a limited time). If I made a guess I would say Hidive is more likely to jump into the spanish dub bandwagon just to prevent Crunchyroll from outrunning them in latinamerica..
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm estatic that Crunchyroll is trying to make anime more easily accessible worldwide. Smile
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
My guess is that statement means that they will block american spanish (aka latino) dubs in spain since they dislike our dubs (saying that how we speak the language is wrong, heck, not even the british do that nowadays).

Eh, I find that it's actually true in the case of a native Mexican Spanish speaker and a native Spanish Castillian speaker. Most Mexicans omit certain tenses, especially those who were not properly educated, such as the pluscuamperfecto (pluperfect), not to mention the informal plural subject, vosotros, which is also not used by native Mexican Spanish speakers. Another oddity that applies in Mexican Spanish is that adding "-ita" to the word "ahora" (now) makes the word more abstract. In most Spanish speaking countries, it is a definitive concept; It will happen in a couple minutes. In Mexico, you'd be foolish to wait around if someone tells you that it'll happen "ahorita". So, I wouldn't say that Mexican Spanish speakers speak the language incorrectly, but it's just that you're missing out on so much that is out there.

In short, it's a far cry from your comparison to native British English and native American English speakers. It's far more than different spellings or using different words for the same concept. I'd honestly argue that Mexican Spanish is almost a different language than that of Spanish Spanish.
leelee85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
leelee85 wrote:

IMO Amazon would dub first series they own (the so called Amazon Originals) before dubbing any anime (which they only lease for a limited time). If I made a guess I would say Hidive is more likely to jump into the spanish dub bandwagon just to prevent Crunchyroll from outrunning them in latinamerica..

What do you mean by Amazon Originals?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
So, I wouldn't say that Mexican Spanish speakers speak the language incorrectly, but it's just that you're missing out on so much that is out there.

I will say that your statement is still wrong since first there are not properly educated individuals in any language (it is not the language fault) and second you make it look like if by not using "vosotros" latin spanish is incomplete/lacking which is a lie and third colloquialism exist in any language and they do not make a language less complete.

Quote:
I'd honestly argue that Mexican Spanish is almost a different language than that of Spanish Spanish.

Surely you must be joking, it is like if you were comparing latin spanish to portuguese, catalan, aragonese, vasque or galician (which are real languages also spoken in the iberian peninsula). What you are saying is no different than saying british and american english (or french and american french or portuguese and brazilian portuguese) are two different languages.

leelee85 wrote:
What do you mean by Amazon Originals?

Series directly produced by Amazon like The Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle or Alpha House.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
Chichiryuutei wrote:

I'm very sorry for those still hoping for the Funi+Crunchy partnership. It's done. Sony TV will null the partnership once they acquire Funimation. There really is no need for Crunchyroll in a world with dubs and that's what Crunchyroll has found out hence the move to try and beat Funimation to the other dub markets (I used to watch Crunchy for 15+ shows a season. Now, with so many simuldubs I only watch the good shows not getting a dub and there aren't many).

Funimation themselves are said the purchase isn't changing the partnership. They are still dubbing and producing the home releases of Crunchyroll owned shows.

Until there is a formal announcement from Crunchyroll or Funimation, all anyone is doing is speculating/fear mongoring.

My friend, I'm not speculating or trying to spread fear. I work for a company that acquire another company (2 years in). They said the same thing Funimation said "no changes are expected for the upcoming future." Once, 4 years had passed, they had a huge layoff, reorganized the entire company and brought in people from HQ to manage the new site with the new company atmosphere. Why 4 years because that's how long it took for the integration to happen.

Now, Funimation is a much smaller company so Sony is going to be able to move a bit quicker. Also, Sony is a Japanese conglomerate... with huge power in Japan. Where are all the anime production committees again??? How many production committees have allowed foreigners in? Yeah, that should tell you that Sony is going to get a seat at the table not Crunchyroll/others.

Sony TV marketing will probably run a join PS+/FunimationNow campaign and increase the subscribers over night. Funimation is going to be hugely influential now. And, Sony has the reach to go after other dub markets. It's only a matter of time before every service has multi dub shows and that's going to be great for everyone.

Plus, does Sony really need Crunchyroll? Think about it. It's done. Everyone is trying to carving a space in the anime pie due to Netflix's and Amazon's attack.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
This is great. Now, if Rokka got an English dub on CR, I would finally watch the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3