• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura Quest (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:28 am Reply with quote
I really like Erika, too, so I was happy to see her have a large role in the episode which is actually going to be a bit of an arc. I wonder if her crush on Maki's brother will have any impact on reconsidering running away to Tokyo. Hey, I wanted to hear the rest of the bride story, too! And the Revivalists are close to finding the third and final festival "treasure."

Only 4 eppies left. *sigh*
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

Erika is not a sugar coated character. I liked both sides of how she is maybe rightfully so frustrated that her dream of a cool clothes store is unlikely to fit into how the town works, but also genuinely cares about her little brother, Tsuji. I would even call it organic how the problem she had with pain was faced a good part of the shopping district, that with the right contact it was not too much of an issue to get the painkillers. Although, you maybe could accuse that the issue that she is suffering from baby teeth problems with the need of child friendly drugs, that it is getting hammered pretty hard that Erika really is just a child. But I do think that the episode was saying she is in the transition that she should not be treated as just a child, the part with her mother showing that she is indeed growing up, and her mother will support her in whatever she wants when she is actually ready.

And yet, the episode also generally had this feeling of how the town offers this sense of closeness that would not be in a more city setting with the town. This part might have come off in a more cheesy and hollow in a different show, but it does feel like Sakura Quest has earned it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
If it had been me, I'd have broken the adult pain reliever in half and given one piece to Erika. Instead of this common-sensical solution the town pharmacist had to reopen her shop, and Yoshino and Sanae had to drive there through a snowstorm. I attributed this behavior to some Japanese cultural pressure to conform to official medical pronouncements. (Sanae later comments on the sell-by date of the compound as well.) Is that an accurate view of this scene?

I expected level-headed Maki, who had worked as a dental assistant, to make such a suggestion, but she remained quiet on the subject.

Maki's development over the past few episodes is making her my favorite among the ladies.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
The kind of odd thought that sometimes floats through my head as I watch anime: what if Riko from this show met Hifumi from the New Game! series? Would she try to discuss UMAs while Hifumi showed her pictures of her hedgehog?
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Finished this today.

It was a great show overall. Only problem I had was the story as it occasionally felt sluggish but it was still overall an intelligent series that capitalized on everything it accomplished. 25 episodes was the perfect amount that got me invested into the anime as a whole.

Also thought that many of the characters' social issues can be relatable in real life.

The finale was an perfect ending that revisited all the ideas of the show again to celebrate this anime. I really hope PA Works can make more stuff like this in the future. Rating as very good (8/10)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Yoshino is Queen of my heart! Dan, I really loved this show. Gave it an Excellent rating. The humour was topnotch all the way through and I liked how the show touched on real world issues in a not particularly predictable way. I confess that I was hoping Yoshino would stay in town, but her decision to work her magic in a different place makes sense.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 25 (finale)

I promise I won't cry! I could already feel it from last week that we would see the end of Sakura Quest, and I can say for sure that I thoroughly enjoyed it. They really kept us wondering what it was that Yoshino decided to do, that it was a little sad that she would have to say goodbye, but also that it really feels like respecting and wishing the best in anything she chose. Most fitting that it turned out that it would not be that she go looking for a normal job and or go back to the city, but going to yet another town to apparently help them.

Maybe getting ahead of myself, but the last episode was pretty much perfect. It was a things move forward from here but with things not the same, but it looked back on everything very fondly, and in general was the perfect lesson that this show had kind of become. A sort of always being welcoming of new people and what they bring, keeping an open mind and learning something new. Probably most evident in Kadota, who started out the series trying to use gimmicks and such, but by the end seems to have a full appreciation of how the town can stand on its own merits to match his love of it. And I don't know if I have said it before, but I really care for the characters on this show, they all wormed their way into my heart that probably could only be done in a way that felt like you spent a lot of time with them, a strength of the 25 episode format.

It might have lulled in some places, but I also think it never felt like it dragged out things because it could not figure out what to do in this episode amount. It was very funny in a way that did not feel the need to turn to crazy cartoon hijinks, and always kept one foot on the ground to have some grounded yet interesting story. As I see more of them, these adult working anime continue to show themselves as being very entertaining. Add this right with Shirobako that P.A. Works, and would love to continue to see anime of this level of quality. I give Sakura Quest a rating of Excellent (9/10), I think most of us viewers should watch this, to see that anime is not all high schools or fantasy stories, yet it can still be great. Maybe ironic that the show used a sort of fantasy theme, yet I think it was instead meant to play up the instead more mundane setting, that the trying to force that theme could kind of cause a problem.

Feels like there should be a lot more to say. Individual arcs had their own stories that could be very fun to watch, there being times I would actually laugh out loud, yet also feel invested. One of my favourites was with elders, because how often do you see an anime that feels so faithful in building a group like that would be fun to hang out with. Sayonara Sakura Quest, you have been a great part for half of 2017.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
Since yesterday, I have watched the first 12 eppies of Shirobako and it certainly gives me that Sakura Quest vibe. Doesn't hurt that MC Aoi Miyamori looks a lot like Yoshino...
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Since yesterday, I have watched the first 12 eppies of Shirobako and it certainly gives me that Sakura Quest vibe. Doesn't hurt that MC Aoi Miyamori looks a lot like Yoshino...

And they both have a penchant for those jumper-cum-shorts outfits. Frankly those do nothing for me because they make their wearers look more childish.

I do like that the characters in both shows have a wider wardrobe than in most anime.

When you finish Shirobako, check out the OVA version of Third Girls' Aerial Squad, the anime Musashino is producing in the second season. It's on YouTube, so it's not hard to find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLLtRN3_HVg

I found the first OVA about the idol group, the show being produced in the first season, pretty boring.

One other thing you might take a look at is the episodes of "Rocky Chuck," https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCgtQXetqso, the real show behind Aoi's childhood favorite "Andes Chucky," https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_jhRb_9yPA.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to miss these young ladies and the rest of the residents of Manoyama!

I don't think that a single character in this show failed to grow as a person. I actually hope that we'll be able to visit these characters sometime in the future to see how their lives have changed since the end of the show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
@ yuna49 - thanks for those links!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4