• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My First Girlfriend is a Gal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Weekly reminder that we're super deep in anime original stuff right now. The manga has no beach chapter, although it does have one where Yukana and Ranko go to the pool and coincidentally run into Junichi.

Also k ow idea who that epilogue guy Is since he's non-canon and doesn't exists in the manga at all, as a matter of fact Junichi has never had a male rival in the manga except for a dude that showed up for two pages and got called a creep.

I really wish the anime would spend a little more time with just Junichi and Yame since there supposed to be the main focus and stop trying to pull off these bullshit harem antics and bad beat friends comedy that aren't as prevelant in the source material.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Hey Key, are you watching the Simuldub? If so, what do you think of it so far?

Failed to notice that the simuldub was already running. Will be sure to comment on that next week.

Hey, Key, I hate to bother you about this since I'm sure you're busy, but you haven't said anything about the Simuldub. Are you waiting to talk about it at a later time? Confused The girls have all had their own separate episodes (the dub is up to episode 5), so you could give in-depth impressions on the actresses' performances if you wanted to. The dub team is doing some really interesting and fun things with the material, in my opinion. Laughing
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Hey, Key, I hate to bother you about this since I'm sure you're busy, but you haven't said anything about the Simuldub. Are you waiting to talk about it at a later time? Confused The girls have all had their own separate episodes (the dub is up to episode 5), so you could give in-depth impressions on the actresses' performances if you wanted to. The dub team is doing some really interesting and fun things with the material, in my opinion. Laughing

I agree and disagree with this on certain levels.

Alejandro Saab has blown me away with his portrayal of Junichi. His range in some of the more comedic situations is hilarious spoiler[I thought it was super funny when Sabat replaced him for a moment ins episode 5 when his cool side went "Super Saiyan"]. His friends are kind of meh, but that's mostly due to the fact that two out of three are voiced by newcomers, though spoiler[Cris George was oddly replaced in episode 5 by someone else. I wonder why that was. Maybe he was tired of the pedophilia jokes.]

The girls though are a different story. I like Ranko, Nene's VA did the fake Gal thing pretty well, and Alison Viktorin has surprised me as Yui, but Yukana I'm still trying to get used to.
Which is odd because I usually love Jamie Marchi in everything she's in, but Yukana grates on me at times with some of the inflections she puts on the dialogue. I'm sure that was kinda the intention, but it still takes me out of the show at times.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Weekly reminder that we're super deep in anime original stuff right now. The manga has no beach chapter, although it does have one where Yukana and Ranko go to the pool and coincidentally run into Junichi.

Also k ow idea who that epilogue guy Is since he's non-canon and doesn't exists in the manga at all, as a matter of fact Junichi has never had a male rival in the manga except for a dude that showed up for two pages and got called a creep.

I really wish the anime would spend a little more time with just Junichi and Yame since there supposed to be the main focus and stop trying to pull off these bullshit harem antics and bad beat friends comedy that aren't as prevelant in the source material.

To be fair the manga isnt that far from where the anime was before it entered anime-original territory that is of course unless the author was involved in the beach ep.

Quote:
For the record, I wrote what's in the episode review before you posted this.

Well thats what I get for not refreshing my screen before making my post. But Im not following American time cos Im Asian so my time is at least 12 hours ahead of America based on my time zone
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Yeah, I don't get NTR either. You're like supposed to identify as someone whose girlfriend gets stolen by some other dude? I don't get that.

This episode actually half-decent. I'm looking forward to next week only because I wanna see how Junichi handles the situation. I hope he punches that guy in the face.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Yeah, I don't get NTR either. You're like supposed to identify as someone whose girlfriend gets stolen by some other dude? I don't get that.

I never really got it either. Maybe if it were from a male character you didn't like, but even then, if the guy doing the cuckolding is even shittier like this fellow, I don't know why that would be better or desirable. Though trying to explain it logically may not be fruitful. In my experience, such things are not understandable to those who don't have such...interests. At least for ones that are sufficiently...esoteric.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
"Other guy in picture is a complete prick" is a pretty lazy way to avoid having your main character actually come to grips with his insecurities.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
At this point its pretty predictable how things are gonna end unless they pull some kind of plot twist
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 9

This episode actually half-decent. I'm looking forward to next week only because I wanna see how Junichi handles the situation. I hope he punches that guy in the face.

it's better to identify as the one who steals the girlfriend.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Is that what you're really supposed to do though? Because every one I've come across(accidentally) the one who steals the girlfriend is such a low life that I can't imagine anyone asctually identifying with, or wanting to be, them...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Plus Junichi's friends were selling the appeal from the perspective of the guy who was being cuckolded.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Well people who enjoy NTR enjoy from 2 different perspectives. The 1st is from the perspective of the cheater, the one who steals the girl. I guess it gives them a feeling of superiority over the cheated especially when the latter is suffering because of it which makes the cheater a bit of a sadist. Then theres the thrill of cheating with the girl while her boyfriend is in the dark about it. The 2nd is from the perspective of the cheated. There are some people who enjoy watching their BF/GF go at it with another person. Another thing is that they're super masochistic that they enjoy the thought or fact that their lover is cheating on them with someone.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
"Other guy in picture is a complete prick" is a pretty lazy way to avoid having your main character actually come to grips with his insecurities.

This is entirely why I didn't rate the episode even higher. However, upon reflection I do also think the sleazebag could have been used for a different reason: to remind us that there is still that popular perception about gals being sluts, which is something that the series has moved away from as Junichi's relationship with Yukana has grown. We know that Yukana wouldn't put up with that kind of treatment, but he's still basing his evaluation on the stereotype.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

I agree and disagree with this on certain levels.

Alejandro Saab has blown me away with his portrayal of Junichi. His range in some of the more comedic situations is hilarious spoiler[I thought it was super funny when Sabat replaced him for a moment ins episode 5 when his cool side went "Super Saiyan"]. His friends are kind of meh, but that's mostly due to the fact that two out of three are voiced by newcomers, though spoiler[Cris George was oddly replaced in episode 5 by someone else. I wonder why that was. Maybe he was tired of the pedophilia jokes.]

The girls though are a different story. I like Ranko, Nene's VA did the fake Gal thing pretty well, and Alison Viktorin has surprised me as Yui, but Yukana I'm still trying to get used to.
Which is odd because I usually love Jamie Marchi in everything she's in, but Yukana grates on me at times with some of the inflections she puts on the dialogue. I'm sure that was kinda the intention, but it still takes me out of the show at times.

I getcha. Of Junichi's friends, I actually really like the voice actor for Shinpei, the guy with glasses. Plus, he gets some of the funniest lines (the Yoda impression he did was priceless!) The other two are kinda meh, yeah, but they're hardly playing characters anyway. For the most part, I really like Jamie Marchi's take on Yukana, and I prefer the more mature tone of her voice to the seiyuu (same thing for Ranko), but there are times where I'm also iffy on her delivery. At the same time, though, there are times where I think the Valley Girl accent sounds really attractive, so... Yeah, I'm really enjoying the dub.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yukana isn't entirely blameless either, though. Blowing him off to go see her former friends when Junichi approached her in a conciliatory fashion was also a big mistake

IMO that was not her biggest mistake, not telling Junichi why she got so mad on the first place was the seed of this whole situation: Had Yume told him on the spot or on any of the attempts Junichi tried to approach her, he could have owned his error and moved on. Since he had no idea what was happening, reaching the wrong conclusions was a foregone conclusion. As dispassionate viewers many probably deducted why Yukana was mad, but I think this is a common relationship problem, I would link a comedian that makes a relatable sketch about this, but it is in spanish :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5