• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Clean Freak! Aoyama kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 8

"As long as I can be buried next to her." Yep, I'd say Umeya knows how to play the long game alright. It's a rather odd thing to say in a country that cremates most of its dead though. Either way, if she never comes around in his lifetime, it could be tricky getting her husband to agree to include him in the family plot.

Before someone accuses me of taking this way to seriously (assuming anyone is still here), I'm not taking it seriously at all. Just having fun playing around with the implications. Smile

It'd be fun if she didn't get married to Aoyama and took Umeya's idea, so they would all be buried next to each other. Even better, instead of having them next to each other having the graves overlook each other, so the...pining from a distance can continue beyond the grave.

It does make me thinking how they keep the remains. Are they all just under the headstone? I mean if the husband didn't approve of putting his remains next to theirs, maybe he could have his ashes secretly intermingled with hers, though that may be a bit much (Are you allowed to refuse to honor the wishes of the dead with regard to what to do with their remains if it is too creepy?). Failing that, I guess he could just have them tossed onto the gravestone itself.

As to the show itself, I kept getting distracted while watching the last episode, which isn't a great sign.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Odagiri is here for some unexplained reason

They explained it. The whole high school went to the training camp, on at least 26 buses. And yes, Ryotaro Okiayu voiced both Makio and Aoyama-kun. Smile

I think I liked this episode maybe the best so far. They nailed the dozen tropes and the dialog in Makio's anime perfectly, with a minimum of screen time, which put me in a good mood for the rest of it.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
A bit frustrating that this episode didn't reveal more about Aoyama, but at least now we know there's a player who can beat him one-on-one. And with Shinichiro Miki voicing him, now all three original main seiyuu from Initial D are working on this show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Kozue is Seigo's childhood friend. Aoyama met Seigo at the age-group national teams. I don't know how young those start, but regardless, I don't think it quite qualifies as childhood friend territory, which are usually neighborhood kids and/or classmates.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Kozue is Seigo's childhood friend. Aoyama met Seigo at the age-group national teams. I don't know how young those start, but regardless, I don't think it quite qualifies as childhood friend territory, which are usually neighborhood kids and/or classmates.

The age group national teams for Japan seem to start at U-15. If their current roster is any indication, they are start them just under 15. Aoyama couldn't have known Seigo more than a year or two if that was when he met him. So I will agree that Aoyama and Seigo aren't childhood friends.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
They avoided so hard actually saying she was dead that it was obvious she wasn't.

Quote:
It feels like we're back where we started...but in the end, Clean Freak! Aoyama kun never fully figured out what it wanted to be.

Well, since Lauren's recycling her reviews, I'll recycle my comment back from episode 4. Smile

"It sounds to me like Lauren's main complaints are that the show refuses to fit neatly into one genre...

"I agree with Rubyleaf's opinion that this is a parody, but not just of sports anime, though that's the main hook. ... Rather than a sports comedy, this seems to be a comedy that takes a swipe at everything, its parody bones hidden under the skin of a soccer anime. I'll be really disappointed if they don't go after Ten-Count before this is over."

And they never did, so I am. Sad j/k - I didn't expect anything from this series, so it didn't disappoint me. It was sometimes mildly amusing, on rare occasions briefly hilarious, and in general tended toward inconsequential fluff. I'd rate it mostly harmless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2