• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kumamiko Sub BD/DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
I remember hearing about the ending and thinking "Man, people will make a big deal out of anything.". Then I watched it and it kind of ruined the whole show for me. It was just so mean spirited that it left a real nasty taste. I had to watch a Precure movie just to stop thinking about it. And it was anime original to boot. I cannot understand why anyone on the production team thought it was a good idea. This isn't even about cultural differences. It's mean in all languages. Just why?
DanQ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
Oh, sweet comedy turn into psycho-terror thriller (still presented as sweet comedy)...
It's basically story about poor girl with mental disorder (possibly mentally retarded), surrounded by a-holes exploiting her for their own selfish needs… Y_Y.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
I think people will never stop talking about what a spoiler[total bummer] the ending turned out to be; we all saw it and we were pretty much disgusted with it. The show has a few dips here and there, but the comedy is fun where and when it needs to be. It's a fairly enjoyable journey with only the ending being spoiler[sour grapes and essentially demolishing the point of the main plot; Natsu's 180 was what really put the knife into the heart of the rather unfortunate ending].

I'm still wondering, "What kind of ending was that?"
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
For anyone who hasn't seen the series and thinks we're exaggerating about the last episode, it got a community rating of 1.7, which is the lowest I've ever seen for a series which earns weekly episode reviews. (Even Chaos Dragon never got that low, though it came close at least twice.) Every other episode was in the 3.5-3.9 range.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For anyone who hasn't seen the series and thinks we're exaggerating about the last episode, it got a community rating of 1.7, which is the lowest I've ever seen for a series which earns weekly episode reviews. (Even Chaos Dragon never got that low, though it came close at least twice.) Every other episode was in the 3.5-3.9 range.

Hand Shakers last episode got below that. Almost all of Shippuden's Jiraiya's Ninja Scrolls arc (specifically 434-441, 444-447, 449-450) got at or below that rating, with 446 earning an astonishing 1.1 rating. Which is to say that the last episode of Kumamiko was in line with the worst of the worst shows/arcs ever reviewed weekly on this site. Which is a shame, as the rest of the show was pretty good.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Seeing as how terrible everyone says the ending is, I'm actually kind of glad I never finished the series when it was airing.

For comparisons sake, does anyone know how the manga handled this story line depicted in the final few episodes? If it did at all.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

IIRR, the show's scriptwriter deleted his twitter account in the aftermath of that last episode, and the mangaka also made some comments (later partially retracted, possibly as a face-saving gesture to the studio) indicating unhappiness with the way it ended.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
I thought one of the OVA's or something corrected the ending? I saw the end of one of them and thought that's what they had done.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I thought one of the OVA's or something corrected the ending? I saw the end of one of them and thought that's what they had done.

No, it was just an "and this was happening while Machi was having her crisis" kind of thing. It spins off to the alternate view involving spoiler[the mascot contest] immediately after spoiler[Natsu appears in the crowd and Machi sees him and then calms down].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
The creators should have had Nat's I turn to the audience and flip the bird. At least that would have made sense.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
The ED song is here, for those wondering how to find it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSb7UffsQjw
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
I've heard stories about that ending, it makes me wanna try to watch it now
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I hate the ending too. It makes me regret watching the show.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Theron Martin deduces whether or not it's still worth watching.

Controversial opinion: yes. It was quite fun for the majority of its length and the ending didn't even completely sour me. My biggest complaint with it (trying not to spoil anything) is that it didn't feel like we got anywhere with the show from the beginning, but hey, people sat through the second season of Nisekoi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm still wondering, "What kind of ending was that?"

Could have been worse, at the end they could have shown spoiler[Machi twenty years in the future when Natsu is dead (bears live to 30 and he seem to have be born when Machi was very young), the whole village is deserted and she has to forage in the mountain for food since she escapes every time someone tries to take her to a city.]

I do hope the director never gets to work in anime ever again and this become a cautionary tale for any mangaka to not blindly trust that an anime original ending they have not read beforehand will be ok.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2