• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Apocrypha (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
That's why Mordred can never take over Artoria's rightful place as "main wai-" sorry I mean "King of Knights".

I was surprised by Berserker of Black's quick exit. Some wanted less Servants to focus on, but I doubt many would've liked Frankenstein to be one of the first gone. After what happened to Siegfried, that may not be the end for her though...

Shirou, Ruler, Sisigou, and Darnic haven't even met each other in any way lol. So good thing there are 14 more episodes to go.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote
EmpyreanBlaze wrote:

Shirou, Ruler, Sisigou, and Darnic haven't even met each other in any way lol. So good thing there are 14 more episodes to go.

Shishigou met Shirou the priest way back in episode 2. Darnic is aware of the existence and identity of the other three but has yet to meet them personally. Ruler knows who Shishigou is (but the same cannot be said the other way round) but has yet to meet or fight him to date.

Odds are Ruler will have to fight Shirou at some point since they're both guided by visions from something or someone.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote

Another one bites the dust. This should please viewers hoping to have fewer characters to keep track of each episode. Then again Spartacus really does go out in a literal blaze of glory (and this time he's out of the game for good).

For a "fraud", Sieg did enough to deplete Red Saber to the point where her armour is badly damaged and she couldn't muster enough strength to destroy Spartacus in one hit before he could deploy his cancer cell trump card. Just as well Ruler shows up to save the pair of them with that really effective defensive Phantasm of hers (where does she get all that mana from if she's just possessing a mortal frame with no master of her own?)

Time for Black Lancer to enjoy the spotlight. Bad idea for him to reveal the true nature of his Phantasm since he's not as effective when away from his homeland. Combined with the missing homunculi, he's no longer capable of taking on his Red counterpart on even terms so Darnic is almost certainly going to use a Seal to activate Dracula mode. It was a bad matchup to begin with since stakes don't work well against that which can't be impaled.

Interesting use of the Hanging Gardens; if you can't win the grail by fair means might as well steal it when the enemy's attention is diverted and they have incomplete knowledge of the Hanging Gardens' abilities.

No idea if this is going to happen, but this half is setting up the Red camp to be the aggressors as they successfully make off with the Great Grail. Since this is clearly against the rules, Ruler has no choice but to take sides to right the wrongs she has clearly been seeing through visions. What role Sieg plays in this (and her vision of him in a sword-ridden battlefield) is unclear, he's not moving anywhere for the time being and he's done what he wanted when he stopped Astolfo from getting butchered whilst ensuring his compatriots escaped.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Just as well Ruler shows up to save the pair of them with that really effective defensive Phantasm of hers (where does she get all that mana from if she's just possessing a mortal frame with no master of her own?)

Rulers are direct agents of the Grail itself which provides them with mana directly.

But good old Jeanne's flag. Saved my ass in FGO more times than I can count.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Just as well Ruler shows up to save the pair of them with that really effective defensive Phantasm of hers (where does she get all that mana from if she's just possessing a mortal frame with no master of her own?)

Rulers are direct agents of the Grail itself which provides them with mana directly.

But good old Jeanne's flag. Saved my ass in FGO more times than I can count.

The same Grail that's being airlifted from the castle?! Another good reason for her to hurry along and stop the red faction from doing a Lupin.

I wonder if all her exertions actually hurt the cause of Yggmillenia. Darnic was boasting about how the Great Grail had accumulated enough mana to fulfil his goal of reaching the Root, but if Jeanne is using her Noble Phantasm this often wouldn't it reduce the account balance required to do the opening?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Unless they destroy the Grail Jeanne has nothing to worry about. If they did all the other servants would vanish, the war would be over and her job would be completed anyways.

The grail fuels the entire war so mana capacity isn't really an issue for it. Darnic is apparently mistaken about how it actually works. Heaven's Feel spoiler: spoiler[it needs to be filled by 7 heroic spirits in order to open the path to the root. Though I'm not sure how that'd work with 15 heroic spirits running around.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Unless they destroy the Grail Jeanne has nothing to worry about. If they did all the other servants would vanish, the war would be over and her job would be completed anyways.

The grail fuels the entire war so mana capacity isn't really an issue for it. Darnic is apparently mistaken about how it actually works. Heaven's Feel spoiler: spoiler[it needs to be filled by 7 heroic spirits in order to open the path to the root. Though I'm not sure how that'd work with 15 heroic spirits running around.]

Heaven's Feel is one thing, but Darnic stole this Grail at the end of the 3rd War and has been sitting on it ever since. I don't know why he needed half a century to make his claim this episode since it should have filled up at the conclusion of his theft (maybe he failed to finish off a servant so the conditions weren't fully satisfied, which begs the question where the mana from half a century comes from to make his claim).

If the numbers go from 7 to 15, it's probably just a smaller share for each servant compared to a 7 to 1 split.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
Heaven's Feel just revealed the true nature of the war. It's not like that rule applied only to the 5th war. The ritual was never completed properly in any war for various reasons. It's a secret kept from all masters so Darnic likely didn't know at the time.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Heaven's Feel just revealed the true nature of the war. It's not like that rule applied only to the 5th war. The ritual was never completed properly in any war for various reasons. It's a secret kept from all masters so Darnic likely didn't know at the time.

Since this war takes place in an alternate version of the 3rd war, viewers without access to the source material have no idea if Darnic's War finished properly. Since he had to steal it, he's probably not an outright victor but holding onto it for 50+ years would have given him plenty of time to analyse it and think things through.

He could be mistaken as you've pointed out or he could be right if he figured out the secrets revealed in the F/SN route. Either way, he's not going to have any chance to test his theory out if the globe he's treasured for over half a century is snatched from his grasp.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote

Well, well. Viewers now know who Shirou Kotomine REALLY is. It shouldn't be difficult for those not familiar with his historical personage to find out what his motives are, although I'm still unsure as to whether his combat abilities are from his status as a servant or from his training under Kotomine.

Darnic's "trump card" would have worked (no mana but he was taking on five servants on equal terms before he decided to make a run for it), but he never would have imagined facing the surviving wraith from the previous War he managed to "win". It looks like Shirou holds all the cards now that he's officially seized control of the red faction for himself and made a mess of the black faction's infrastructure in the process. An interesting cameo from one of the Einzbern's early on, but since this is the third war I'm not sure if it's the same Einzbern as the one featured in Fate/Zero.

The direction the series is taking is now clearer. Jeanne D'Arc has a job to do now that the original purpose of this war has changed completely from its original incarnation. Whether she gets the help of the other surviving servants remains to be seen. Long way to go before viewers discover how the very first scene in episode 1 came to be though.

With this episode, the first half of the adaptation comes to a close since next week is numbered "12.5" and is a digest episode summarising the first half of the season. There is no word on whether 13 follows immediately afterwards or if the animators will do what Fate/Zero did and split the cours by one quarter or more before resuming broadcast.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
An interesting cameo from one of the Einzbern's early on, but since this is the third war I'm not sure if it's the same Einzbern as the one featured in Fate/Zero.

Of course not. The Einzbern provide the homunculus that's to serve as the grail's vessel every war. They're all the same model so they look the same.

So I gues the real divergence point from the original timeline is that during the 3rd war a Ruler was summoned instead of spoiler[Avenger.]

Poor Vlad, he was a pretty chill guy and it's a shame he went out like that.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

So I gues the real divergence point from the original timeline is that during the 3rd war a Ruler was summoned instead of spoiler[Avenger.]

Apparently so. Which has its own interesting consequence regarding the nature of the Grail in this series.

Checking elsewhere seems to reveal there is considerable consensus over the point of divergence. I'm not going to ask how it's possible for the Einzbern clan to summon a Ruler-class servant when they're supposed to be neutral arbitrators; I suppose the Grand Order game explains it in further detail but I'm not playing it and am not inclined to look up the art materials for this series and the Prototype Series for more information.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
To put it simply: as one of the creators of the grail system the Einzberns know how to cheat it.

Though there is a plot hole now that since the grail was never corrupted, "evil" heroic spirits just Jack the Ripper should be unsummonable.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Though there is a plot hole now that since the grail was never corrupted, "evil" heroic spirits just Jack the Ripper should be unsummonable.

Way back in Ataraxia, there was a brief cameo from the two Sabers of the Third War. Although the sprites were lazy rehashes of Saber from the 5th War, it seems to indicate that heroic spirits aren't assigned their status based on their moral compass when alive.

After all, there's always been an Assassin Class since the start and it was usually filled by one specific Spirit or aspects of him.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote
Hassan was a heroic figure, though. Kill the corrupt kind of guy.

"Anti-hero" servants like Medusa and Medea normally can't be summoned. The grail's corruption is what made that possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13