• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Win Prizes at Home With Taito's New Online Crane Game Service

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
This sounds doubtful...how would you be able to control a crane in real life much less online. I can already seeing myself getting fustrated.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean how would you control it in real life? Just go to a walmart or something, they usually have one in the entry way.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I think this takes away the fun of winning them if you do at home heck both times I went to japan I managed to win three times at a UFO Catcher (twice in 2008 and once in 2013) and two of them are pretty funny stories.

In 2008, one of the things I won is a Pachirisu Puppet from Pokemon, if you don't know that one, it's the Gen 4 Pikachu clone with a really big fluffy tail (yes that detail is important to the story). Anyways I managed to get it. BUT due to it's big tail it couldn't fit into the prize hole! I to wait until the store's attendant (it happened on the roof of the Tokyu Department store, there's a little arcade there).

And then in 2013, it was my very last day, I wanted to spend the last of my cash, so one of the things I did was go to an arcade and played some games just to burn some cash. I played one that had some Eevees and Sylveons (also from Pokemon weird...) figuring I wouldn't win. I ended up wining a Sylveon, a big one too that could barley fit in my bag. But it worked out, I ended up sitting far away from my friends for the return flight and I hugged it during turbulence due to nervousness.

I think this takes away from stories like that...

Though if you think about it, it's probably won't succeed, we'll just have to wait and see.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I want to see that in the states, I know it's the king of all money pits, but you actually win real tangible prizes and not some digital SSR/UR card like almost all of the money pits on mobile do.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that it takes away from the fun of real ufo catchers, but on the flip side, if you want something, you can just go try to get it. And if it's designed correctly, you shouldn't have to deal with the prizes/objects falling into impossible positions and having to wait for a generous employee to reset it back to the beginning (thus wasting all effort to then).
jen123r

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
What do you mean how would you control it in real life? Just go to a walmart or something, they usually have one in the entry way.

You are going to have to check out Taito, Adores, or one of the Sega arcades in Akiba one day if you ever make your otaku pilgrimage. The prizes from the Sega cranes at Wal-Mart are not comparable. I am talking 3 floors of UFO catchers, the variety alone is astounding. We won stuff like Hello Kitty coin purses, Love Live Snow Halation figures, D.Grayman phone wallet, DGrayman towel, Modoka×Bakemonogatari figure. It was crazy great. Even Round 1 in the bay area of CA doesn't compare and they have a Round 1 in Ikebukuro.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Interesting~! I'm gonna give it a shot. ♥
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Is there not some sort of "house edge" programmed into these devices? I presume the extent to which the inputs act against the player's fortune would increase if the controls became remote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1