• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Studio Ghibli Key Animator Hiroshi Shimizu

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Interesting note about royalties. I could've sworn Justin at one point had said that creators got royalties in Japan. The recent article about Shuichi Aso, of Saiki K made me wonder how that actually worked, but now Shimizu is really making me question that. I wonder if that is only the case for original manga creators(other than Aso and the Gintama creator, I guess)? Or what. I think he has the wrong idea about animators here though. I'm fairly certain they don't get any sort of royalties here either.

Last edited by relyat08 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Excellent interview, thank you!
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ANN: Do you think the responsibility is on the studio to pay the animators more?

Shimizu: They should probably provide more of the project budget to the animators – right now it goes other places instead.

Speaking of project budget, I know that following manga is dated, but just to show the general idea of how money get funnel down to production which still relies on TV broadcast in Japan.

From Right to Left:

1. Sponsors raise 50 million Yen (about US $500,000)
2. Advertisement agency takes about 10 million Yen (about $100,000 / 20%)
3. Major TV networks take 20 million Yen (about $200,000 / 40%) for air time.
4. Local TV stations take 12 million Yen (about $120,000 / 24%) for air time.
5. Now Production has to contend with remaining 8 million Yen ($80,000 / 16%)

Even though current Anime production is likely to have slightly bigger budget thanks to foreign investors and streaming licenses, it seems like majority of money goes the parties who don't care or ignorant about production side.

It boggles my mind that more than 80% of fund is wasted as Infomercial expenditure.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
One thing that I hope streaming allows them to do is entirely subvert those older methods of advertising and exposure whoring. Keep a significantly higher percentage of that money for the actual production budget and just put your show on a major streaming platform that PAYS for it!
I think that's already starting to happen, but most anime still airs on TV at some point. I think that's something that should probably stop if it's eating into budgets as much as suggested by that comic.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Great interview. His impression of Kon is interesting. Part of me assumes a lot of hyper talented animators/directors like Miyazaki and Kon are unpleasant people to work with. Artists , especially high profile ones, can be control freaks who are demanding and ill-tempered. Of course, every director is going to be different but I'm not surprised. I'd love to hear more candid responses or anecdotes about animators and directors in the industry.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
Based on this interview and others, I suppose I'm curious to know....Kon and Miyazaki...were they really mean guys to get along with? Like were they always grumpy? Or sre they really loveable outside of the work environment.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Based on this interview and others, I suppose I'm curious to know....Kon and Miyazaki...were they really mean guys to get along with? Like were they always grumpy? Or sre they really loveable outside of the work environment.

The problem is that they are so extremely demanding because they are so talented, so they expect their co-workers to keep the same level of quality.

But I believe both Miyazaki and Kon are very lovable people in their private lives. Though both of them worked so much that they never had much private live. But you can read stories about that. For example, Mamoru Oshii said that Miyazaki has a really sweet side to him. And he's apparently always kind to woman and children. And if you read Kon's final words, you know that he's also a very gentle person inside.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic interview. It's great to hear from someone who's worked with so many of the all-time luminaries in the industry.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
One thing that I hope streaming allows them to do is entirely subvert those older methods of advertising and exposure whoring. Keep a significantly higher percentage of that money for the actual production budget and just put your show on a major streaming platform that PAYS for it!
I think that's already starting to happen, but most anime still airs on TV at some point. I think that's something that should probably stop if it's eating into budgets as much as suggested by that comic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1