• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:CREATORS (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
It was very important to Sota's emotional journey, and it meant a lot with his character. I for one found that this episode managed to use all the talking which one could have criticised earlier, and managed to pull of a very big emotional climax. Setsuna was the keystone that really needed to be revisted for the end of this story.

I very much enjoyed this episode. And in risking saying too much personal information, felt like a good birthday present. Wink
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
That was an awesome and serious episode. Certainly had my audience approval haha.

I might have more serious thoughts about it a little later, but I thought of something funny. It feels weird to say that I'm dating myself with this reference, but I probably am. This is the real Elimination Chamber Festival.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Having read the reviews, I'm glad I dropped this series at 6 episodes in.

Way too pretentious and faux intelligent for its own good, and I can see why Rei Hiroe hasn't written anything in a while
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

Way too pretentious and faux intelligent for its own good, and I can see why Rei Hiroe hasn't written anything in a while

And what, pray tell, is "pretentious and faux intelligent" about it? Even if it does get a bit long-winded, I've always found it to be pretty frank and never as self-important as you're making it out to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And what, pray tell, is "pretentious and faux intelligent" about it? Even if it does get a bit long-winded, I've always found it to be pretty frank and never as self-important as you're making it out to be.

Aside from Mocking traditional Magical Girls, only for the recent episode to retroactively prove Mamika's "naive" ideology right, it trries to hard to mock Ecchi authors in its second half, e en when Rei Hiroe made h-doujins do his own work in Black Lagoon.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Openly complaining about things that one doesn't even bother to watch, such line of thinking is the text book definition of pretention.

The "end game" fight has always a blatant use of anime tropes, Altair gets to call out the nature of "big battle" arcs where the POINT of hooking the audience in is to reward the viewership with the designated heroes struggling against the designated big bad.

As with all things, viewer's enjoyment is subjective, but just as well coming back around to the penultimate episodes just to shout "yeah, I wouldn't have liked this series anyway" is a disingenuous act.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Mocking traditional Magical Girls, only for the recent episode to retroactively prove Mamika's "naive" ideology right, it trries to hard to mock Ecchi authors in its second half, e en when Rei Hiroe made h-doujins do his own work in Black Lagoon.

In what way did it mock traditional magical girls? Pointing out that magical girl stories work on different mechanics than other types of series do isn't mocking at all.

You can make a little stronger case about the ecchi author, but I think you're overstating the case there, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I don't see how it mocked traditional magical girl shows at all. All it seemed to do was show that those series are for kids and that Mamika was forced to grow up when she came into an 'adult' universe.

As for mocking the ecchi stuff, I think it's funny and is somewhat of a jab at that kind of content, but a lot of it was very sincerely thought out as well, for example just like all the characters are on a kind of same weird wavelength with their creators, Onishi and Hikayu did have a lot of similarities under the hood, even though their first encounter was kind of cringey.

So what do you think was faux-intelligent about it? Like where did it seem like it was trying to be intelligent and why do you think it was not actually so?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping Meteora would stay. Now her and Sota can do another sort of re-creating Wink
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I was hoping Meteora would stay. Now her and Sota can do another sort of re-creating Wink

While I didn't push my imagination that far, I did also think that they could become a couple at some point.

Now we'll just have to wait and see if any Sota/Meteora doujinshi ever gets made.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
There's some fan art but no full doujinshi yet. Bit too early for that, need to wait for the next Comiket.

C92 only had a little (at least that I've seen). There's a Meteora one (both normal and busty form) with faceless guys, a Selesia/Sota one, a Kikuchihara one, and oddly enough a Marine/Nakanogane one.

EDIT: Upon further research there's also a Sota/Selesia/Matsubara/Meteora one where Meteora is a futa for some reason and there's actually one of Sota with faceless dudes.

You know the show really missed an opportunity to explore this aspect of things.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You know the show really missed an opportunity to explore this aspect of things.

Depending on the fandom response, there might be more "inspired" shows in the future that would explore such an avenue, at the very least there will be potential of Doujins for following such a narrative.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
... You know, I originally wanted to reply to Key's post with "You say that as if they don't exist already" but unfortunately I couldn't find one at the time. And then I did after it was too late >_>
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
Re:Creators turned out to be...medicore for me. It's not neither good or bad but just felt it lacked what I was anticipating.

The story of fictional worlds clashing is really interesting but it didn't fully capitalize on its ideas. It used its characters to do the storytelling and to me, that didn't work too well in the end. Luckily, Altair and Magane turned out to be characters that I found interesting. However, the rest of the cast (especially Souta even with his background story, Selestia, Yuya, etc) were unremarakable to me. It was also pretty predictable especially in the latter half and ending felt underwhelming.

Loved the technical parts though, in particular the soundtrack. (theme songs, chereography, voice acting)

I wanted to see Magane one more time. She's grown to me a lot in the latter half of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 22 (finale)

I enjoyed this. Going to say I am absolutely happy with how this ended, Gravity Wall is simply an awesome song that I kind of love it in general context of this show. I also actually felt touched when we saw an advertisement for a Alicetaria meets Mamika project, the duality with those two was simply precious. There were some ups and downs, I think among them would be those who were lost, and perhaps a testament that the death of a fictional character could have such an impact.

About the series as a whole, again, I enjoyed it. The series might have had the disappointment to some that it perhaps did go more into talky sides rather than full on taking advantage of the various genres meeting each other. But rather than a disappointment, I see it as somewhat of a surprise, that just as much as it was about these cool fictional characters, it was about how they are made, a celebration of and appreciation of creators. And on that level I think one perhaps should hold that consideration for what the creators of this show were trying to do, and of which I think this show really was a complete package. If you thought that it stumbled, then it was perhaps because this was shown to be something else rather than you expected, and I think it was actually pretty well made as a whole. As an aside, I kind of feel compelled to bring up the mid season recap like episode, which was surprisingly good and a way it felt like the creators could talk to us directly.

Favourite things in the series. That would be the music, the animation was nice that there was never really any complaints at all, and some fun created characters. Selesia, Meteora, Altair, Mamika, Yuya, Alicetaria, and the rest. Magane was probably my favourite, evidence that a good (bad) villain can really be a big thing, and later a complex one. I probably should name some things I disliked, but I would mostly call that things I might have wrongly expected, that at times it did more talking that I expected, but at the same time I would say that it wanted to be smart, and it never felt like it was treating the audience as stupid or trying to act smart too out of its league (like Sakurada Reset for example). I found myself mostly on the ride, and I can see myself getting products from this series which I enjoyed. Maybe a cool Meteora figure would be interesting, I will keep my eyes open at the next con I go to.

Rating the series I am going with Excellent (9/10), I think it did exactly what it needed to do, got some strong emotions across, rarely stumbled, and really did keep my interest. And yet I will say it just missed out on a few marks from I think being a bit bloated perhaps. I know I said this was a complete package with nothing really needed to be done, that even touching this again could maybe tarnish it, but I also have the thought that there is the potential that more and better could be done some time in the future. Something could happen sometime in the future that could bring this back, where another creation is bringing creations into the world, and old creations like Meteora and Magane as well as other creators could be involved. But this is perfectly, just say that it feels like a complete ending, without feeling like it has actually barred off itself from being touch, which perhaps is just as much an invitation for fan creators to do their thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9