• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wonder Woman Co-Writer Jason Fuchs to Pen Live-Action Robotech's New Script

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
I hate that this is still a thing, and hope it never comes to fruition, but at least a few writers around Hollywood are making a buck at Sony's expense,
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
It is a bizarre situation in that all that will be had is simply the title "Robotech" as anything that has to due with Macross incarnation mandatorily must be stripped from the content.

A "remake in name only" is nothing new for Hollywood, the question of the day is WHO is this being made for?
There are other 80s era IP that have as much of a nostalgia factor like maybe a Live action Voltron or an attempt at a Thundercats film.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
a robotech movie is very "cheap" to make, since CG can and will be used extensively so in that way it's a more interesting proposition for hollywood. I just want to see the hollywood equivalent of an itano circus.
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Jesus shall walk the earth again before this every comes out. At least they got a good writer.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Deadline website reported on Tuesday that Fuchs is working with director Andy Muschietti (Mama, It) "to create the new [Robotech] from scratch."

Can one create something from scratch within a franchise that is characteristically parasitical? While a Tatsunoko-free Robotech project would perhaps be less likely to irk us, it would also be less likely to offer anything of merit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
This is what, the 9th attempt at hammering out a script for a franchise whose only thing not under legal scrutiny being a name?

I kinda figure that the first draft of this script was simply a heavily expanded version of Do You Remember Love? and the legal mandates got further and further away until the final draft ends up a remake of Robot Jox.
NervClaX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Harmony Gold, may God curse thee for your crimes against the anime community.

All that aside, this was unlikely to come to fruition when it was first announced and even more unlikely in the current Social Justice Warriors climate.

After Social Justice Warriors targeted Ghost in the Shell and Death Note and accused them of "whitewashing" it will be a long time before you see Hollywood touch anime/manga. It's odd that the Social Justice Warriors overlook countless other Westernized adaptations of Japanese material (Ring, The Grudge, Shall We Dance?, The Departed, Edge of Tomorrow, etc) but Robotech was whitewashed back in the 80's and it's not a stretch to imagine manufactured rage targeted against Rick Hunter and Lisa Hayes.

No, I don't think Hollywood will be looking to Japan for new IP. You can stick a nail in the coffin of Akira, too.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
/\ /\ what he said..

Harmony Gold are a bunch of patent trolls.. I do not wish success to any project they are associated with.
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
/\ /\ what he said..

Harmony Gold are a bunch of patent trolls.. I do not wish success to any project they are associated with.

If you people hate Harmony Gold so much why can't the anime community rally up go to there the HQ and unleash their angry upon them literally!

Also blame the idiots fans who support them in first place as well.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:

Well, it may have begun a few months ago.

You have to check the worldwide brand trademark to realize that, but yeah, 20 years after being backstabbed, Big West started to challenge Harmony Gold and claim their rights on the brand trademark domain.

Thus, Big West successfully registered the MACROSS trademark in some South-East Asia countries.

Now, next step is EU. More complicated, because Harmony Gold own the MACROSS trademark in five countries and try to expand it to the remaining European territories. But Big West still file an opposition to Harmony Gold request, and itself made an application to register the MACROSS trademark in Europe. Still processing.

So yeah, it may take time, but Big West seem to finally work hard against Harmony Gold.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:

Now you complaining about Harmony Gold, you´re doing nothing unless you express why you hate that the company has the license to Macross. Is it because they don´t want Macross to be known as that? Is it because no Macross series has had the cance to be licensed for the US, even when Crunchyroll has Macross Delta? What is it about Harmony Gold and the Macross franchise that you hate so much?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
It's not ideal, but if I'm weighing "Harmony Gold is involved in a big-budget Hollywood adaptation of Robotech" against "Hollywood considers making an adaptation of Macross, an anime that 90% of millennial anime fans have never even seen" I'm much more hopeful about the former than the latter.

As much as I dislike Harmony Gold's approach to the franchise, their "third party" Robotech products - such as the Robotech novels, the '80s Palladium RPG, and several toy lines - have historically been pretty decent.

With the exception of Palladium's disastrous handling of their Robotech miniatures game Kickstarter, Harmony Gold has been surprisingly good at determining which US companies get to use the Robotech license.

LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:
If you people hate Harmony Gold so much why can't the anime community rally up go to there the HQ and unleash their angry upon them literally!

I'm not sure I want to know what "unleash their anger upon them literally" means, but I can't imagine it's something the average Macross fan is really down for.
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

I'm not sure I want to know what "unleash their anger upon them literally" means, but I can't imagine it's something the average Macross fan is really down for.

Ok, as much I hate Harmony Gold the comment I made I went too far on the message I posted. I'm very very sorry for what I have said.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
You need a script, Harmony Gold? I know where you can find about 30 years of them Rolling Eyes
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
You need a script, Harmony Gold? I know where you can find about 20 years of them Rolling Eyes

Not that they can use legally. Besides, the world isn't ready for a live action Nekki Basara.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2