• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dimension W Limited Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I agree, the show's not great but there's a lot worse out there. I think this show got extra scrutiny because people either got over-hyped because Funi was involved, or were extra critical of it because Funi was involved and were looking for any chance to say "See what happens why you let American companies touch our anime"

Yeah, and as was mentioned earlier, Space Dandy is a series that worked very well. Shinichiro Watanabe has always appealed more to westerners than his own Japanese, and all he did was continue being himself, and that worked wonderfully.
There is a difference between, appeal and made for. Bebop, Champloo and Dandy appealed to Americans more than it did the Japanese, but it was not made for an American audience. The complaint here is that it is made for Americans. And as we know, people don't watch Anime just because it directly targets them.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
It is sad that Dimension W got shot down as it was a solid concept with some neat ideas, and I really enjoyed watching it. Maybe it just needed to have been longer in scope so it could have had more room to shine.

the problem was that the anime series went way ahead of the original source materials just like with other series (cough cough: Soul Eater & Akame ga Kill) so unfortunately the ending is pretty much an anime original ending since the manga is still ongoing.

also the series did pretty well on toonami. then again the same can be said for deadman wonderland, so the chances of dimension w getting a second season is pretty slim. while its a pretty good series, its no Big O let alone FLCL!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote
I wanted to like this show. It had style. The first 2-3 episodes were great. The idea is good: we disover a 4th dimension and we are able to get huge ammounts of energy from it. But of course there's a catch. My main problem with DW is that the MC is a total douche. I can't stand him. I think this is how Japanese think we like out main heroes: strong not-so-nice-people. Mira was a delight and deserved a better partner. In fact I actually kind of enjoyed when Kyouma hit Mira as he was the only one getting hurt. Hell, half the times Mira didn't even notice it if she was facing the other way. The story was... terrible. The second half made no sense. They should have just stuck to them chasing around illegal coils, finding the numbered once and then realizing something like.... I don't know... They were the only dimension where they dicovered the 4th one and were actually stealing power from the other worlds, leaving them drained of power. Then he and Mira had to make the choice to destroy the link to the 4th dimension and go back to how things were or continue using the power stolen from other worlds and let the people there suffer. Something like that.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
I have no idea why I keep checking this discussion when I know absolutely nobody's gonna agree with my "screw potential and confusing plotlines, I liked this show for what it was!" stance.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
meh... I liked it.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I have no idea why I keep checking this discussion when I know absolutely nobody's gonna agree with my "screw potential and confusing plotlines, I liked this show for what it was!" stance.

I like it for what it is.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I would say they didn't necessary like her too much, but they liked her in some fairly unhealthy and potentially abusive ways. And yeah, I would much rather have her as the main character of the show. The only reason I need is to have a more sympathetic and empathetic protagonist, really. The dude wasn't awful, but he was not a particularly interesting character, in my opinion.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said someone liked her too much--I mean it in a lustful, fetishistic way.

Looking back, that Mira is a much more likable character probably WAS why I'd have liked her more as a protagonist. She is also more proactive and driven in learning the secrets of that coil energy system.

Takkun4343 wrote:

It's hard to tell who here shares my stance on the series, but I personally enjoyed it, though not as much as many more memorable series. Rather, I saw it as something that took few risks and could have been a lot better given its premise and how it began and is something I wouldn't really watch again.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Dimension W is just another example of why you shouldn't rush and skip material when doing a manga adaptation. Not that the manga is amazing or anything, but it's certainly a good deal better than what the anime presented.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Greed1914 wrote:
I went into this one thinking it was going to be pretty similar to Solty Rei, which was a good thing in my book. However, the shine wore off pretty fast with the second arc, and then it seemed like they never nailed down what story they wanted to tell. It also bugged me that Mabuchi basically remained abusive towards Mira throughout.

Me, I was getting vibes like The Big O. In that one, a man with a checkered past but a nice-paying job involving fighting stumbles across a robot girl and they go on episodic adventures that slowly reveal more about the true nature of their world. I think Dimension W would've worked a lot better had they had more episodic stories rather than rushing the world-building.

I hadn't thought of that comparison. Chris Sabat playing a grizzled man now living with a robot girl he didn't want made Solty Rei too obvious, I suppose.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
It introduced a ton of characters and jumped into an arc with almost no build-up; it pulled a Fairy Tail without being entertaining. The scene where a gunman shoots a giant ball of energy moving is the funniest thing ever; it's like something out of a Will Ferrell movie.

I really, really enjoy the ED though. My favorite directorial flourish was when the instrumental kicks in during the last few seconds of the actual episode. The OP was fine, nothing special.

Part of me wonders how much the original manga they mangled. I didn't want to malign the show too hard when it was airing because of this. FUNimation may have fast-tracked a goofy anime adaptation, but Dimension W, as a concept, originates from a singular creator. One of the US publishers brought it over(I think Yen Press) so I am interested in checking that out one day. The author was the character designer for Darker than Black, an ex-FUNi darling, and he drew the DtB spinoff manga which was famous for being a manga adaptation of an anime that wasn't a quick cash grab.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3