• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Original Cutie Honey Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mosaic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
This is really awesome! Here's hoping they'll also bring over Cutie Honey 90's, and Cutie Honey: Tennyo Densetsu too.

If the Italian and French editions are any indication, I guess we can assume this release will be based off Cutie Honey: The Origin?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I'll check this out if I see in store.

I love the 1990s Cutey Honey anime, the original TV series, the Anno live-action movie, and Re: Cutie Honey, the 3-part OVA tie-in into the Anno movie.
This character is a huge favorite of mine and my gateway into other Go Nagai works but she's still my favorite character of his.

<SIGH> I hope we COULD get a Blu ray release of the 1990s Cutey Honey OVA and the Re: Cutie Honey mini-series. They're long overdue...
I'm probably about 1 of 15 people that bought the Cutie Honey original TV series. That's a sad commentary on modern anime fandom but it's probably not much different than the way even Japan is about most retro-anime at this point in time.

I'm indifferent to the other live-action projects and frankly haven't seen enough of Cutey Honey Flash to make up my mind on that one... I know I don't like some of the character designs in CH-F but that's mainly for some of the supporting characters who ended up looking NOTHING like the original designs used in the previous anime. CH-F was a bit "Sailor Moonish" considering the same production team worked on the last season or two of the original Sailor Moon TV anime.
Mosaic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I'm indifferent to the other live-action projects and frankly haven't seen enough of Cutey Honey Flash to make up my mind on that one... I know I don't like some of the character designs in CH-F but that's mainly for some of the supporting characters who ended up looking NOTHING like the original designs used in the previous anime. CH-F was a bit "Sailor Moonish" considering the same production team worked on the last season or two of the original Sailor Moon TV anime.

Cutie Honey The Live is pretty awful, yet still kind of fun at the same time? Seiji, and Miki are great characters. Everybody else kind of sucks. The writing is also a mess, and it's riddled with plotholes.

Cutie Honey Tears is essentially Metropolis. Why they didn't just do another remake of Metropolis instead of Honey is beyond me. It's not a bad movie per see, but the fact they changed the storyline and mood so heavily... only to rip off Metropolis (both the Fritz Lang and Rintaro versions) is a bit puzzling. The actors are great though, and the special effects are top notch. And Honey is back to be a competent, strong-willed warrior and less of an Usagi Tsukino clone.

Cutey Honey F is great. It gets dismissed easily because of the Sailor Moon-inspired visuals. The series is very true to it's roots as a Honey series, and as a Go Nagai property. it takes the original storyline and wonderfully expands it. Aside from Prince Twilight, the series is pretty awesome. Plus, Honey's psychotic little sister, Seira (Misty Honey) is a great addition to the franchise.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I wish more old manga would get licensed.
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a great classic magical girl series. I always think the manga and anime series help inspired like Trigger's Kill la Kill.

Last edited by LaytonPuzzle27 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite magical girl series. I hope we get the original manga of Mazinger Z, Violence Jack and Shutendoji next.
VigorousJammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Great news!
Seven Seas has been licencing so many great classic manga series lately.
Here's hoping they continue this trend.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is awesome news! I'll definitely pick this up. I hope these classic collections do well for Seven Seas so that we can have even more. Lupin III would be in good hands with them.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Will 2018 be the year of Go Nagai for the English-speaking world?
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
Will 2018 be the year of Go Nagai for the English-speaking world?

We can only hope so Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
This company is on a licensing spree lately. I usually see this amount of stories of a company licensing a series unless it was during a convention.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Discotek has the orignal 1970's tv series. Hopefully, they could also license Cutie Hony Flash. It has sadly never been released in America. I have no idea why that is.
Nagsura

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Booyah! I wanted more Go Nagai mango licensed since they announced Devilman. I wonder what they'll license next? Maybe Getter Robo (even if it wasn't drawn by the man himself).

LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:
Definitely a great classic magical girl series. I always think the manga and anime series help inspired like Trigger's Kill la Kill.

I know right? I'm sure one of the creators must've been involved in some way as a small-time animator in RCH, 'cause when I first heard of Kill la Kill's premise I thought "sounds just like Cutie Honey on a different setting".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1