• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gintama. is Most Anticipated Anime of Fall 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico_Astray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Ok, so was Shokugeki no Soma 3 postponed? It sure is my favourite for this season.
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
This fall season is absurdly loaded!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Nico_Astray wrote:
Ok, so was Shokugeki no Soma 3 postponed? It sure is my favourite for this season.

No, it isn't postponed.

I will have to mostly agree with the Japanese voters and pick Gintama and Osomatsu-san's second season, though I will put Ancient Magus' Bride above both personally.

I would put Kino's Journey and BBB&B in if not for my concerns with the staff, with the director and series composition writer of Dagashi Kashi taking over BBB, and the director of TSE (and some of the Persona 3 movies) and the series composition writer of Hina Logi running Kino. I think Kino's strong source material should be able to carry the show and BBB&B will still look good, but it is difficult to highly anticipate them with key staff like that. I don't know that I would pick them even if we had five choices (probably Food Wars's third and Yuki Yuna's second seasons).
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Black Clover is easily my most anticipated. Even if they are just teasers/PVs Studio Pierrot really hyped this show well. And with how they are handling Boruto, I'm even more excited. Helps that I am already a big fan of the manga.

Other then BC? Magus, Kino are also looking good.

Though I am always ready to be surprised. Always fun finding that show that just click.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I love how after all these years, Gintama is really picking up when it's almost finished Anime hyper
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I would put Kino's Journey and BBB&B in if not for my concerns with the staff, with the director and series composition writer of Dagashi Kashi taking over BBB, and the director of TSE (and some of the Persona 3 movies) and the series composition writer of Hina Logi running Kino. I think Kino's strong source material should be able to carry the show and BBB&B will still look good, but it is difficult to highly anticipate them with key staff like that. I don't know that I would pick them even if we had five choices (probably Food Wars's third and Yuki Yuna's second seasons).

For what it's worth, Yukie Sugawara also did the series composition for Overlord (which I think people keep forgetting that she did that too when it comes to her doing Kino), so it's not like everything she did at her position wasn't very good. I personally wouldn't be such a worry wart as you are because at least the creator of Kino is checking every episode. I know that some may not think that's enough to put aside their worries, but I have faith that it will turn out well.

With that being said, it would be no surprise to those reading my comment that Kino is one of my most anticipated for Fall. My other two are The Ancient Magus' Bride and Girls' Last Tour. If ANN allowed for more than 3 anime to list on their poll, I could've easily added Juni Taisen, Land of the Lustrous, and Two Car to my list. Fall 2017 is looking like it will break my record for number of anime watching in a single season and I'm very excited for it to start.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:

For what it's worth, Yukie Sugawara also did the series composition for Overlord (which I think people keep forgetting that she did that too when it comes to her doing Kino), so it's not like everything she did at her position wasn't very good. I personally wouldn't be such a worry wart as you are because at least the creator of Kino is checking every episode. I know that some may not think that's enough to put aside their worries, but I have faith that it will turn out well.

Oh I know she did Overlord too. I actually don't think Hina Logi is bad either, it's just CGDCT. My concern with her isn't that her prior work is bad, just that she doesn't have a lot of it. I think she is capable of doing a good job, it's just that I don't know, though the source material will probably carry it in that department anyhow. I don't think it will be bad, I'm just tempering my expectations so it isn't disappointing if it is good but not at the level of the original. Same with BBB&B
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
ANN, you know you guys would've gotten a lot more page views if you put the poll up by itself (like you do for seasonal reviews voting) instead of burying it at the bottom of an article about Japan's most anticipated anime, right?
Calico

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Children of the Whales would be my top pick, though I'm going to wait until it gets put up on netflix next year. In the meantime, I'll pick up the manga when it comes out. I'm interested in Land of the Lustrous too. I've had some concerns about the manga being a bit hard to follow that made me a bit leery on it, but hopefully the adaptation will fix that. Blood Bath & Beyond should be good too(though I really need to get around to watching the first season's final episode). And maybe Dances with the Dragons could be interesting if it's not more light novel dreck.

Last edited by Calico on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
ANN, you know you guys would've gotten a lot more page views if you put the poll up by itself (like you do for seasonal reviews voting) instead of burying it at the bottom of an article about Japan's most anticipated anime, right?

It'll probably be in The List too.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Black Clover is easily my most anticipated. Even if they are just teasers/PVs Studio Pierrot really hyped this show well. And with how they are handling Boruto, I'm even more excited. Helps that I am already a big fan of the manga.

Other then BC? Magus, Kino are also looking good.

Though I am always ready to be surprised. Always fun finding that show that just click.

Agreed im really excited about Black Clover
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I've always heard good things about the show but its got way to many episodes for me to try and catch up
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
not excited about to much for the fall season besides food wars 3 and black clover but there are a few shows im willing to try
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I assumed Ancient Magus Bride and Juni Taisen would be more anticipated, even in Japan. It is always interesting looking at the contrast between Japanese and English polls for Anticipated stuff though. From what I've seen, The English speaking fandom tends to lean more toward new properties based on staff, studio, or interesting premise, while Japan is much more conservative and generally picks the most familiar, long term stuff. I guess I can understand both sides, but as part of the English speaking fandom, I guess I'm inherently inclined to look forward to the new and exciting, rather than consistently good stuff that I've already seen a million times.

That being said, it is rather interesting to see Love Live Sunshine so far down the list. Maybe LL is starting to wain in popularity a tad?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
For some reason I assumed Ancient Magus Bride and Juni Taisen would be more anticipated, even in Japan. It is always interesting looking at the contrast between Japanese and English polls for Anticipated stuff though. From what I've seen, The English speaking fandom tends to lean more toward new properties based on staff, studio, or interesting premise, while Japan is much more conservative and generally picks the most familiar, long term stuff. I guess I can understand both sides, but as part of the English speaking fandom, I guess I'm inherently inclined to look forward to the new and exciting, rather than consistently good stuff that I've already seen a million times.

While I think the English speaking fandom is more drawn to what you might call prestige projects, and Japanese fans tend to more highly anticipate otaku oriented shows - male or female - I don't think they are that dissimilar, even just on the question of new properties versus sequels. Sequels dominate these rankings both in Japan and elsewhere (naturally, as you already know what you're getting). I fully expect Gintama, Osomatsu, and BBB&B to rank highly here as well, and Kino's will be higher. Ancient Magus' Bride is the only new show I expect, or at least hope, will do better among us.

relyat08 wrote:
That being said, it is rather interesting to see Love Live Sunshine so far down the list. Maybe LL is starting to wain in popularity a tad?

I don't think sixth is that far down the list (though I just noticed it got 666 votes Shocked) but it is less than what its first season got its respective poll. Though considering its competition then compared to now, it was probably inevitable. If anything, Food Wars not appearing at all in this one when it got second in its last season (coincidentally the same season as Sunshine) is more concerning. It also speaks well to New Game's popularity as well (going from twelfth then to first this past season).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2