• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold's Macross, Mospeada, Southern Cross Licenses Still Expire in 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
reanimator wrote:
I think the biggest screwup of Harmony Gold created is further establishing their own fictional universe by publishing those Robotech novels and related stuffs (Battletech, right?) for years.

No, Battletech was a completely unrelated board game franchise that licensed a bunch of mecha artwork and designs from Macross, Crusher Joe, and Fang of the Sun Dougram back when it was first starting out, before the company got enough momentum to hire in-house mecha designers.

Thank you for the correction. I don't know a jack about Battletech so I thought they're from from the same company.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Lest we forget, the original Jetfire from Transformers was just a repurposed Valkyrie. Mecha licenses used to be weird. And liberal.
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they lose their license to the series.It time for america to get all of the macross material we want legally.I know we can get the imports but some of us either do not speak japanese well or not at all.I am able to speak some.

Last edited by hikura on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Lest we forget, the original Jetfire from Transformers was just a repurposed Valkyrie. Mecha licenses used to be weird. And liberal.

I thought jetfire was based on the F-14 tomcat.I know Kawamori based the valkrie on the tomcat.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

I thought jetfire was based on the F-14 tomcat.I know Kawamori based the valkrie on the tomcat.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Jetfire_(G1)/toys#Generation_1

Quote:
A redeco of the Takatoku Toys Macross VF-1S Super Valkyrie, Jetfire features three modes: robot, jet, and an "alternate transformation" (called the "Gerwalk" form in Macross, and the "Guardian" form in Robotech) that deploys his arms and legs in jet mode. Additionally, Jetfire comes with several red pieces of armor and rocket booster backpack that can snap onto his arms, legs, and back in any mode. He has noticeably more articulation than the other Transformers in the line at the time. The VF-1S toy is based on a design by mecha designer Shōji Kawamori.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure they're way more well known by the general public as one of the companies involved in Silvio Berlusconi's $170 million dollar embezzlement scandal, not some cartoon from the 80s. The last time Harmony Gold made mainstream news, it was about all their frozen Swiss bank accounts. Let's not reduce a huge, shady company to one tiny shady thing that they've done.

I was making a joke at their expense.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Let's just say that I, and a lot of other Battletech fans, are just waiting for something to really show how much of a troll HG is and want to see the full weight of TOPPS (BT table-top rights) and Microsoft (Electronic gaming rights) and tell HG to f-off once and for all.

As it is, HG's most recent trolling of the companies behind Mechwarrior Online and the new Battletech PC game is affecting Catalyst Game Labs (table-top licenseor) current visual "Classic" redesign project concerning the Macross-inspired Mechs. And I so much wanted to see them in the Succession Wars Tech Readout compilation that was just released.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:04 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
But then, why have Robotech comics had no issue using SDF Macross visuals and plot? I'm pretty sure the current comic is a retrospective across all Sagas. And Robotech/Voltron definitely used Macross designs.

Honestly I'm not sure. I think there must be a loophole somewhere that makes some of this stuff acceptable in print but not in animated format. Either way Harmony Gold technically has no rights to those designs, which is wh them suing anything that ressembles Macross feels so ridiculous.

Bottom line : it's a complete clusterfuck.

-Sergorn
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
Speaking of BattleTech and MechWarrior both series are making comeback this year and 2018. Very Happy
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Here's the HARMONY GOLD, USA, INC. v. TATSUNOKO PRODUCTION CO., LTD. court decision for anyone intersted in details:

https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20170830639
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
So HG's stranglehold on Macross ends in 2021?

*Dances in the street*

IF Tatsunoko doesn't give it back to them.

Key thing here.

OH HELL NO!!!!

if they actually do that, especially since that thorn is the side of a company is out of business, even the most die hard tatsunoko fans would scream bloody murder.

but whatever their doing to keep this strangle hold, its more or less become a focal point for some companies since 4kids pretty much did similar things to keep the license for YGO. even went so far and declare bankruptcy, got restructured and its remnants got renames as 4k media (how original) just to keep the franchise. though they couldn't have don't it without a little help from konami who have also become irrelevant.

unfortunately 4 years is far too long to save the series. by the time that happens, its possible miss mari would be in retirement so the chances of any company doing what ADV did would be out of the question.

more importantly , what US company would even take the risk?

unless viz media takes the license and gives it the SM treatment, its unlikely it will ever be released in the US and I don't think nor would I blame tatsunoko for ever allowing another US company to license the franchise ever again.

its ashame that it didn't go in their favor. but then again, a US court will ALWAYS side with a US company over a foreign company, so they were in a massive lose lose situation and it the fans that pays the price for the greed of crappy ass companies like harmony gold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
As much I don't like what Konami is doing right now it like closing up game development but it would be hilarious if they shut down 4K Media. Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

No, Battletech was a completely unrelated board game franchise that licensed a bunch of mecha artwork and designs from Macross, Crusher Joe, and Fang of the Sun Dougram back when it was first starting out, before the company got enough momentum to hire in-house mecha designers.

Thank you for the correction. I don't know a jack about Battletech so I thought they're from from the same company.

They also had a long line of books as well. The first half under the Battletech name and then the second half under the Mech Warrior name. They actually weren't bad. I used to play the card game as well.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

unfortunately 4 years is far too long to save the series. by the time that happens, its possible miss mari would be in retirement so the chances of any company doing what ADV did would be out of the question.

Why would.... you want Macross to be redubed, again, with Mari Ijima, again ?

If Macross would get free of Harmony Gold, another company could licence it, could probably licence the dub ADV it and make a Blu Ray release of it. Macross is a 35 year old series, 4 more years won't change anything.

Quote:
unless viz media takes the license and gives it the SM treatment, its unlikely it will ever be released in the US and I don't think nor would I blame tatsunoko for ever allowing another US company to license the franchise ever again.

Tatsunoko has no "say" in the franchise.If the trademark issue ever get resolved any interested third party would have to deal with Big West and Bandai. And they they can do it, they'll do it, Kawamoi is legitimately pissed that he can't release his Macross series in the US and have them avaiable through streaming and all as they are aired in Japan. If anything he'll make sure this happens if the rights clusterfuck ever gets resolved

-Sergorn
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
its unlikely it will ever be released in the US and I don't think nor would I blame tatsunoko for ever allowing another US company to license the franchise ever again.

By that logic, they would have never licensed out Speed Racer ever again after settling their lawsuit with Speed Racer Enterprises in 2014 but they did to FUNimation 1 year later so Tatsunoko should be fine with licensing out Mospeada, which they do have say over, after this is dealt with while Macross & Southern Cross will have to be through Big West.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6