• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:CREATORS

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I have a review of Re:Creators i made below:

https://animechopblock.wordpress.com/2017/09/17/anime-chop-block-recreators/

In short for those who do not wish to read it, I don't mind my time with the show but i'm not ecstatic about it either. There are entertaining moments and interesting commentary but the plot and characters are weaker because of the need to make commentary
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
This series started off promising then turned into a snooze fest. It was terrible overall and I hope the Anime to Real World concept gets redone for another series in the future like how My Hero Academia continues the superhero legacy that One Punch Man set forth.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
This series started off promising then turned into a snooze fest. It was terrible overall and I hope the Anime to Real World concept gets redone for another series in the future like how My Hero Academia continues the superhero legacy that One Punch Man set forth.

What would do differently with the concept, then, to make another series with a similar concept more like what you're saying MHA did with the super-hero concept?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, I'm not ready to let this show go yet. While I lot of you here have kept up with Re:Creators' through it's whole airing, I digested the last 19 of its 22 episodes within the whole past week! It was an incredible ride for me-- honestly, I can't remember if there was a new anime since Madoka/ Penguindrum/ Fate/Zero that wrecked me so. Hell, it may arguably have a more life-relevant impact on me; Sota's monologue topping off the already touching scenes between Setsuna and Altair got me to cry a bottom-of-my-heart-cry, to feel things that I haven't quite felt before from TV anime. It definitely got me to write out my first sustained, non-forum/work/social media ''journal'' entry in what feels like a year or two.

Considering the compressed time-frame I saw almost all of Re:Creators in, then (which is lots like how I saw the first 10 episodes of Madoka Magica, come to think of it-- before the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake/tsunami helped stall the final two episodes and I waited with everyone else)-- you can imagine that there are still a lot of things my head is spinning about! Never mind how some major developments are hitting my gut; Selesia's death may be month-old news to you, but it only happened within the past three days for me.

Therefore, there may be things I want to help get addressed and understood bettter in the thread little-by-little. (Maybe /a/ could too, but discussion might happen at a pace too fast for me to keep up with, employed as I am.)

Key wrote:
It doesn't cop out by reconstituting “dead” characters, instead just allowing them to continue in their own worlds and leaving thornier issues like whether anime Selesia is the same one Sota met for fans to debate.

^ Like this, for instance!

What differences has the show established between characters leaving the real world through their own volition via a portal (Hikayu, Kanoya, Yuuya and his bro, Blitz and his daughter) versus characters leaving the real world by getting "killed"? Are there any? And if there aren't, what's the point of going through the portal? Isn't this effectively assisted mass-suicide? (There have been some dark jokes about this in other forums.)

I've seen a lot of /a/ speculation that doesn't present itself as speculation regarding this matter of what happens to the characters when they "leave" the real world. Some have said definitively that the characters who get "killed" really do die, thus not carrying a memory of the selves that appeared in the 'real world' of Re: Creators, while those who go through the portal... are able to carry the memory of their real-world selves? (What would *that* mean for those portal-traveling characters in the future?) Other commentators act as if the selves, the 'copies' of the characters that appeared in our world, simply cease to be, whether it be via "death" or portal entry, and it's up to the Creators to continue their story.

I'm still not sure what to make of it-- I mean, after being "freed" by Altair from the media they were from part of, they became just as "real" as the Creators themselves, so I still very much care about them after they "leave," whether it's by being killed or returning to their own world. I would certainly love the idea that the Selesia we see in the Vogelchevalier anime is the same one we got to know and love throughout Re:Creators, with even the same memories, but I'm almost afraid that not only is there no basis for having such a hypothesis, but it's been effectively refuted by things in the show I may have missed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

This concern was partially addressed in-series by Ryo, who complained about how Yuya's revelation of certain spoilers to Sho was going to make it hard for him to reconcile his main storyline.

The overall impression left by the way events played out is that different Creators are going to have different responses. Ryo is going to try to figure out how to explain it, Shunma indicates that she intends to integrate in the return of Blitz's daughter, and the comments of Nishio and the advertising poster we see indicate that he intends to continue running with Hikayu's transformation. Meanwhile Matsuraba and Gai are obviously going to have to play it as if the Elimination Chamber was non-canonical. Nakanogane doesn't indicate one way or the other, but he has the easiest situation, too, since his character didn't undergo significant changes or calamity.

This makes a lot of sense. I never actually thought about the possibility of different stories being "effected" by this differently, or even not at all, depending on what the author wants. I guess I should've, but since Selesia was obviously going to be alive back in her story, I assumed all of the stories had the same relationship with this world, which was not much at all. I think it would be tricky to work his daughter back into the Blitz Talker narrative, considering how important it seems to have been for that story, but I guess that's reasonable enough as an explanation.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I think it would be tricky to work his daughter back into the Blitz Talker narrative, considering how important it seems to have been for that story, but I guess that's reasonable enough as an explanation.

I doubt Shunma will have too much trouble pulling that off. After all, American comic books have been pulling that stunt for decades; even when there's a body, there's no guarantee that the character isn't going to come back. (See upcoming Justice League movie - though I'll admit that's only my speculation on what will happen there.)
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
There certainly is some question as what goes on with Magane. It could very well be she is the loophole to create a sequel.

Magane is too problematic a character to just allow herself to fade away powerless. She's all about indulgence for herself. Only helped because it seemed fun way to screw up Altair.

However, time between now and a sequel may be much later. While this season involved a lot of world building setups, a following season may deliver more of the action it missed. There is a big potential plot between Sota and Meteora. Both are moving the same course in their lives. Both can support one another. Sota needs time to completely heal from Setsuna.

But a sequel could in fact take place if there was a child between them. It is a common mythological theme of a demi god character. Magane could be used as a villain for this.

How this would all restart, well...we've never been told what all Altair was up to. Can't make me believe for one second that she only spent all her time sitting on her butt in those abandoned buildings, pulling characters out of stories. Nah, there has to be something else. She was overconfident but not stupid. She had to have found ways, just like Meteora found ways, of either manipulating or observing the creative forces of the world at work. She knew the limits of her manipulations and didn't want the world to snuff her out before her plan was complete.

There's just a lot of potential there and I can only hope Re:Creators will get another season to be able to pursue it.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The series had it's problems, but overall I feel this show was done very well, and it was enjoyable for me. A lot more positives than negatives. I give a lot of credit to the staff who worked on it. Some good creative ideas were shown and the soundtrack and musical choices throughout the series were great. I hope we get more in the future.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
That was a good ending and it was nice to see that Meteora stayed. I would have liked to see where Magane went and a brief look at the other creations in their worlds but I get that the story was really about the creators. While the show was a bit slow paced at times there is a very good chance it will be on my top 3 list of anime for the year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 33 of 33