• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My First Girlfriend is a Gal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer wrote:
It may be anime-original, but this is also easily the best content of the series to date.

I haven't watched this episode yet, but wow, that has got to be one of the most backhanded of compliments I've heard. It sounds like this show chooses to end its season with one of the most obnoxiously tiresome romance tropes I know of, and plays it painfully straight too. With that in mind, I've chosen to wait with episode 9 until 10 is available so that I can watch both in one go, because I'd rather not have to wait for that last episode angry.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
The reviewer wrote:
It may be anime-original, but this is also easily the best content of the series to date.

I haven't watched this episode yet, but wow, that has got to be one of the most backhanded of compliments I've heard. It sounds like this show chooses to end its season with one of the most obnoxiously tiresome romance tropes I know of, and plays it painfully straight too. With that in mind, I've chosen to wait with episode 9 until 10 is available so that I can watch both in one go, because I'd rather not have to wait for that last episode angry.

Predicting one's mood based on assumptions... Right.

To your credit, I would've definitely disliked this episode if not for the last ~7 minutes. They somehow pulled it off after getting the other girls involved.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
If the reason the 3 friends got so much screentime compared to the source material was all building up to that moment where the paedo "transformed"... no, it wasn't quite worth the most cringing moments up to that point, but it certainly did give at least a bit of payoff for it. It would have been worth it even more if he had been characterized a differently; sure, keep him a pervert if you have to, and even keep the kids around but at least make it for non-criminal reasons. Ah well, it's beating a dead horse at this point...
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
EmpyreanBlaze wrote:
Predicting one's mood based on assumptions... Right.

To your credit, I would've definitely disliked this episode if not for the last ~7 minutes. They somehow pulled it off after getting the other girls involved.

Well, they did play it entirely straight, didn't they? I would actually have liked being wrong about this.... about anything, really, but it sounds like the episode more or less played out exactly like I feared it would; Dai revealing his jerkitude, Junichi jumping in to defend, everything resolving neatly by the end. At least now that the episode is out, I can watch both of them in one session.

Edit: Yyyyeah, that was not fun, save a few offhand gags. Everyone ate idiot pills -- well, a lot of them were idiots already, but that's beside the point -- and Dai was so completely over the top in his assholishness that it almost became funny. The rest -- spoiler[the date, basically] -- was alright, though, but I can't believe they stretched this out for two episodes. Personally, I think the show should just have kept to its idiot humor instead of turning to drama. I mean... if it's just going to do something that's been done before, and to the letter to this extent....
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:14 am Reply with quote
Holy smokes, in this shot Nene's boobs got so large it looked like she was pregnant. Shocked
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
That, or her body shrunk to a Minoru-approved size.

I'm sorry.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Holy smokes, in this shot Nene's boobs got so large it looked like she was pregnant. Shocked

Yeah, I had to screencap that myself. I don't usually share that kind of thing around, but I was really tempted with that one. Like, I mean, that's ridiculous, right? Poor girl. I like boobs, but that's pretty absurd. Laughing
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
Just finished this series..
Besides Nene and the mighty morphing Oppai... it actually had a good ending for an anime.
Not a great series but not as bad as it could have been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5