• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Princess Principal (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Am I thinking about this too hard?

Yes. Izetta was set in a faux-WWI setting, and there's nothing especially realistic about PP either. It seems to take place in the thirties by our time frame.

I've stopped watching this show for "plot," since it demands too much suspension of disbelief. At this point I'm watching it purely for entertainment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 (case 20)

And we finally learn the story about what the relationship between Charlotte and Ange is like, and for at least the rest of the post I am going to call them by their original names (Ange will be Charlotte, princess is Ange). Charlotte has a huge amount of respect for Ange for the amount stress she must have been under with people who would kill her if she failed her cover, and everything she accomplished is kind of amazing in how she went from pickpocket to princess. Charlotte calls her princess because she fully feels that Ange earned it, and Ange's desire to become the queen was something Charlotte wanted to do in the past and is trying to fulfil the dream.

And with "princess" being in the series name, I think that this episode really showed how she (original Ange) is a great character, I think a bit better than just being offhanded implied that she is smart and stuff. Ange might not have fighting prowess, but she is something.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I had fallen a little behind on this title (due to being away on vacation) but I'm now caught up. So yes, we now know what happened to Ange after she and Charlotte switched places, but we still don't have a clear picture of what happened to Charlotte after the swap. Clearly she somehow became a Commonwealth spy. What's not clear to me is whether her handlers know she is the real princess or not. I think they don't. If I'm remembering correctly, she and Ange are the only ones who know about the swap.

This show keeps on scaring the hell out of me. In the laundry episode with some of the girls and then with the pickpocket girl I was terrified that something horrible was going to happen to them So far, the show hasn't trampled on my heart by doing something like that, but I feel it is capable of doing so at any time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 9 (case 11)

Dang this show, right when I think maybe I could exclude one of the main group from being a top liked character, it comes back with showing how great they are. This episode was on Chise, the daily life of Chise adjusting to her new surrounding. I continue o be impressed by her part in how she can this English setting to the Japanese audience with something they are familiar with, even if also archaic. She too is charming.

For the record, I think my favourite character of the show is Beatrice. I guess I also liked how Beatrice played off Chise in this episode as roomies.

Probably been said already, but this show really could do well with the right dub. Some more authentic English accents could work to make this feel right. And I was also thinking that Chise could work well with a Japanese accent that makes her sound like the foreigner she is, and add credence to what she said in this episode in having trouble with some English, which probably did not come across really well with it being in Japanese. Like, why did she confuse a glove with a white turnip?

Also, was totally cringing at the rest of the team trying to go Japanese to congratulate Chise, even if I am not totally familiar with probably what were the major problems. I do like how this show kind of showed characters referring to her as an oriental and stuff, and making fun of her based on stereo types. I know I have heard people kind of pull the calling out kung fu card when insulting Asians and their culture.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 (case 22)

This week in moe anime spy girls, Ange and Dorothy investigate their old classmate who has apparently become a double agent and drug addict. And we got an incredibly brutal suicide from a revolver to the head so that her idol does not have to kill her. And just to finish the episode, Ange and Dorothy have been ordered to kill the princess. How will they get out of these wacky hijinks? All on Christmas day (night).

Just felt like kind of making fun of the perception that this is a show that relies on moe girls, and yet this series actually often does not pull its punches. From the OP it clearly has an Ange grabbing Charlotte and turning her gun on her comrades, which always felt like she might have to turn against her side to protect her friend. It really does not even make sense why they would want to kill the princess, but I guess it coming from a general he just sees her as a nail needing to be hammered.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 am Reply with quote
The other possibility is that thr Commonwealth spy ring is getting suspicious of Ange et al and is testing them to see what they'll do.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
My notion is that the new regime in the Commonwealth wants to complete Operation Changeling swapping Ange for Princess and killing the latter to avoid loose ends.

Ange may be cute, but she is the most ruthless one of the bunch. The murder scene in episode one sealed the deal on her personality for me, even if she was killing the guy so his sister could get an insurance payout. Chise's no slouch in that department either. The show has an edge which makes it more than just cute-girls-doing-spy-things.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 (case 23)

When your fake princess is a fake, in how the one who you thought would be the fake princess was the princess all along, trying to protect the fake princess, and the fake princess sent away the real princess so that she can pretend to be the fake princess that the real princess would have pretended to be instead.

I am sure that Princess (the real Ange) was lying about seeing Ange (real Charlotte) as those cruel things, but things feel kind of bleak right now. With so many characters out of the picture of Dorothy being removed, Chise taken back, Ange on a trip to Casablanca, Princess about to be involved in a bloody revolution without her allies, and who knows what with Beatrice. It just has me kind of down, I think maybe because it is clear how much this hurts Ange, kind of interesting that the usually emotionally reserved character, which could work out really well if it turns things around somehow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the "breaking up of the team" is almost an obligatory narrative move, but it's not super fun to watch. We'll have to wait for the reunion for that. With mention that the Royal Army is composed of a majority of "colonials", I wonder how many of the rebels are treacherous Canadians???
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
With mention that the Royal Army is composed of a majority of "colonials", I wonder how many of the rebels are treacherous Canadians???

Colonies represent!
I guess partially related, here in Aus we have state called Victoria, named after the queen, and the state I live in is Queensland, also named after Queen Victoria. Now that I think about it is kind of weird.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
There are ten provinces in Canada and out of those ten, half have names that are related either to the UK or a royal family member: Nova Scotia (which is Latin for New Scotland), Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick (named in honour of King George III who held the title of Duke of Brunswick, an area in Germany), Alberta (named for Queen Victoria's fourth daughter) and British Columbia.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
"But there's already a place called Columbia."

"Shut up! Ours is British."

Here in the states we had the decency to name most of our states after local names, harvested from the native tribes we displaced and exterminated. "Sorry about destroying your civilization and all, but at least our naming conventions are locally-sourced and organic."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Yep, we did that too: Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are all indigenous names meaning: "White people stole our land." But for sheer imaginative force, it's hard to beat: Newfoundland. Man, you know that when you decide to call some new found land Newfoundland, you really are out of naming ideas.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
At least someone thought to get the spaces got removed for that one. What do you call those territories in the northwest?

Also, Princess Principal is a good show.

So which one regrouped with the revolutionaries? I'm having a hard time describing which one is which. I got the impression it was urchin-then-princess princess, and not princess-then-urchin princess, but they never got a chance to swap their clothes back, so I'm not sure how it would work.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
I think we are supposed to think that Ange (real princess) is the one on the airship and so the one with the revolutionaries is the fake. Whether that is actually true or not or just a narrative fake out remains to be seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3