• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kemono Friends' Fox Girls Try to Figure Out Udon in Animated Short

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantaselion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
They got so much money from the anime and yet the 3D still is god awfull.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
At the rate they are going they will make an episode worth of commercials before the second season gets released.

fantaselion wrote:
We don't know how much money the production company got and these are commercials.
g41f

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense really to keep whatever 3D style they had.
Most people that watched it liked it that way and if it's cheaper for the animation studio then they can make more money with less time invested!
Funnily enough, I haven't even watched Kemono friends past the advertisements and PSA's and yet I wanna watch it purely for the novelty of the 3D alone....maybe one day :p
fantaselion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
g41f wrote:
Makes sense really to keep whatever 3D style they had.
Most people that watched it liked it that way and if it's cheaper for the animation studio then they can make more money with less time invested!
Funnily enough, I haven't even watched Kemono friends past the advertisements and PSA's and yet I wanna watch it purely for the novelty of the 3D alone....maybe one day :p

They can keep the same style, but they need to get better computers to render the 3D, cause thats the main issue here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:

You couldn't possibly have written a more irrelevant comment. Did you not ever pick up on the pretty obvious notion that the rough look of the anime was part of its charm?
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, pretty certain they aren't going to make it look "better". It may have been an unintentional part of the original series, but why would they want to change it now? Clearly it didn't hinder the popularity and, in fact, probably drew many too it!
fantaselion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
fantaselion wrote:

You couldn't possibly have written a more irrelevant comment. Did you not ever pick up on the pretty obvious notion that the rough look of the anime was part of its charm?

no.

relyat08 wrote:
Yeah, pretty certain they aren't going to make it look "better". It may have been an unintentional part of the original series, but why would they want to change it now? Clearly it didn't hinder the popularity and, in fact, probably drew many too it!

Uhh yea no.

Though i did just speak to some people and they said episodes 3+ had better 3D and they liked the 3D in those episodes so I kinda just need to watch it myself before I can judge I guess
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:

Though i did just speak to some people and they said episodes 3+ had better 3D and they liked the 3D in those episodes so I kinda just need to watch it myself before I can judge I guess

Please don't speak for everyone. The fact that you haven't even seen the show makes your argument even more hollow. I know many people who watched the show because of its reputation, both visual and otherwise, ya know, like, myself. I won't deny that the animation is bad, but that's not going to change and it is in fact part of the appeal for many people, sorry to burst your bubble. Rolling Eyes
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:

The characters developed an international fan cult on two continents, and animation geeks still nitpick "WHY does everyone watch bad CGI movement??"

Let's be honest: Ever watch the animation on the first season of Sailor Moon?
That, um, didn't exactly stop it either. Smile
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
sounds like those western animator that hate anime just because it's not running at 30fps.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
^Western animation runs at 24 frames per second, just as anime does. The difference is that anime typically is animated inconsistently between the 2s(every other frame is unique) and the 4s(every 4th frame is unique), while historically, western animation was animated on the 1s(every frame is unique, equally 24 unique frames per second). That isn't really the case anymore, however. Most western animation also makes use of similar standards to anime.

EricJ2 wrote:
fantaselion wrote:

The characters developed an international fan cult on two continents, and animation geeks still nitpick "WHY does everyone watch bad CGI movement??"

Please don't confuse that person for an "animation geek". They have nothing to do with that fandom. Man people within the animation-specific fandom are very big fans of Kemono Friends. There is a difference between being interested in animation technically, and just being a snob. The former is more likely to appreciate abstract, unusual, and even rough visuals, if they are interesting(or there is something else about the show that is interesting), while the latter generally prefers conventional visuals and dislikes experimentation.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
EricJ2 wrote:
fantaselion wrote:

Please don't confuse that person for an "animation geek". They have nothing to do with that fandom. Man people within the animation-specific fandom are very big fans of Kemono Friends.

Just that the insiders who do nitpick about "Eww, the frame rate!", without even stopping to think why Serval might have developed some fan popularity here and there, starts to bring up the whole issue of just what happened to animation in the West after the 90's:

I call it the "Cartoon Brew era": If you wonder how we suddenly got that baby-boomer culture of bashing 70's-80's Hanna-Barbera cartoons, and some nameless fantasy of 60's cartoons that gave us the, quote, "retro" style in Nick and CN toons, trace it back historically to where it first appeared, and it wasn't the fans who first started it.
It was the animators, to whom the very idea that a show might not use 30fps, or loop backgrounds, or outsource animation to Asia, was a war crime, and a personal and professional humiliation to think that anyone else in "their" industry could ever be associated in decades past with what they were doing now. Even our commonly accepted bashing of Scooby-Doo didn't historically start with the fans, it started with a Saturday-morning cartoon episode created by one disgruntled ex-HB animator turned director, and one disgruntled ex-Terrytoons animator turned director.
As the Internet and websites created animation culture in the 90's/00's, it was the animation insiders who got most of the say in fan culture, and if an insider decided the technical animation of one current hit was an abomination to man and nature, the civilian fans started picking up on the same joke, just out of pop-culture fatigue with an established cult hit--Not knowing whose private disgruntled-postal-worker battle they'd just signed up for.

That's basically what we have when we get the inevitable "People, how can you WATCH this, aren't you personally ASHAMED to see such hideous cost-cutting in the frame movement??" comments every time KF is mentioned.
Uh, no, we're not; shaddup, we're watching the show. Razz
fantaselion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^Western animation runs at 24 frames per second, just as anime does. The difference is that anime typically is animated inconsistently between the 2s(every other frame is unique) and the 4s(every 4th frame is unique), while historically, western animation was animated on the 1s(every frame is unique, equally 24 unique frames per second). That isn't really the case anymore, however. Most western animation also makes use of similar standards to anime.

EricJ2 wrote:
fantaselion wrote:

Please don't confuse that person for an "animation geek". They have nothing to do with that fandom. Man people within the animation-specific fandom are very big fans of Kemono Friends. There is a difference between being interested in animation technically, and just being a snob. The former is more likely to appreciate abstract, unusual, and even rough visuals, if they are interesting(or there is something else about the show that is interesting), while the latter generally prefers conventional visuals and dislikes experimentation.

I don't dislike experimentation at all. in fact, one of the anime coming next season that i'm looking forward to the most is Houseki no Kuni, and thats all in 3D.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Just that the insiders who do nitpick about "Eww, the frame rate!", without even stopping to think why Serval might have developed some fan popularity here and there

What you are describing is an "animation snob", not an "animation geek". The difference is that one is close-minded and unable to appreciate what they don't consider "good animation", while the other just happens to be incredibly interested in animation. I guess maybe I should stop speaking for them, but I've been a big animation fan for a while now and pretty invested in that fandom and most of the people I communicate with on a regular basis are generally super open-minded, and even more accepting of poorly animated(or unusually animated) work than the general public, especially if it is artistically interesting, like 18if, for example.
When I think of animation snobs I think of people who think that Naruto Shippuuden #167 is poorly animated. When I think of animation geeks, or sakuga fans, I think of people who think that Naruto Shippuuden #167 is an incredibly well animated episode.
Also, once again, 24fps is, and basically always has been, the industry standard for animation, not 30fps. Western animation and Eastern animation has used 24fps for all but very few random projects. Akira is animated at 24fps, all of Disney's stuff is animated at 24fps, etc etc.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Just that the insiders who do nitpick about "Eww, the frame rate!", without even stopping to think why Serval might have developed some fan popularity here and there

What you are describing is an "animation snob", not an "animation geek". The difference is one is close-minded and unable to appreciate what they don't consider "good animation", while the other just happens to be incredibly interested in animation. I guess maybe I should stop speaking for them, but I've been a big animation fan for a while now and pretty invested in that fandom and most of the people I communicate with on a regular basis are generally super open-minded, and even more accepting of poorly animated(or unusually animated) work than the general public, especially if it is artistically interesting, like 18if, for example. .

Okay, snob, then--But still, the insider, either professional animator or ultra-maven, spending enough time talking over insider points on their own forums, who believes that NO MORE positive comment can EVER be made about a piece of animation any more by ANYONE, after a trained professional points out the technical flaws in it, and the truth has now been made public to the world. Just start a Flintstones discussion, and just wait for the defenders to be castigated that they actually watch a show with "looping backgrounds" in it...Shame! What unenlightened age did our TV childhoods swindle us with??
This is meant to be a Real Issue, even beyond the scripting, humor, or characters, because in their (usually angry) world, it is.

Thus, there can be no discussion of Kemono Friends "allowed", unless it's a shaming of cheap cost-cutting Japanese CGI, and its shameful foisting of it upon us--
And if you've never watched the show, and only hear the discussion online, it's a maddening frustration to see people turn up who talk about other topics about the show, even, gasp, liking it!...And strangely enough, NOT talking about the animation quality! They must not be experienced enough to know good or bad animation when they see it! Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1