• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: No Game, No Life Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kei_KogaFS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:18 am Reply with quote
For those who haven't watch the movie yet. I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed. It's way different than the TV series so it doesn't matter if you watch the tv series or not but you will have a deeper understanding of the setting and characters if you do. The only really bad thing I could say about this movie is the lack of season 2 announcement at the end of the credit.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'll check it out. It's coming to a theatre near me so I might give it a go. I was really not a fan of the TV show. The "look it's an anime reference" humor and the obnoxious fanservice turned me off. Yeah, I know some of it was tongue and cheek but, I rarely found it funny or charming.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Sora and Shiro kinda weighed down NGNL for me, so this review gave me high hopes for this movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yu_samson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I knew this movie would be good, I just knew it. Someone who has seen this movie, please answer without spoiling too much: how good was the scene where Tet appears?

Also, just so people know: the mani characters of this movie have absolutely nothing to do with Sora and Shiro. They are not ancestors, not are Shiro and Sora their reincarnations. Tet has stated in the LN that souls do not reincarnate.

Hello,
I watched it.
It was (sooooooooooo) good.
What are you waiting for?
: )

P.S. Tet isn't the reason why this movie is (soooooooooo) good.
P.S.S. I only watched the 1st episode of the series before going into the theater.
rtil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
tv series was absolute trash, the most blatant of fanservice and lolicon bait. coupled with the scandal of the author being exposed as an art thief shortly after the anime, i lost all interest in any work related to him since then.
Suu Slime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I really don't quite get why people care about loli fanservice, it's like, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Honestly, i think the loli fanservice was the best thing about NGNL, just because the author really tried his best to be unashamed about his superb taste as possible. And to those who are really worried about the author and his "predatory actions" or whatever, just note he's already married and living a decent life. The only difference is he likes cute 2D lolis.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
I will be in the theater oct 8 at 7pm to watch this one. so glad i have 4 places to choose from and one is only 7 miles from home
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll be going to the showing on the 5th. For those who have seen it, would you recommend rewatching the series before or after the movie?
Mojave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
Just got back from seeing the sub at the movie theater tonight. It was fantastic, well worth the ticket price. While it's certainly different than the first season, there are also a lot of similar qualities to it, to the point that you can tell it's a NGNL film. It took a lot of aspects of the series that worked and complemented them with much more emotional writing. If you liked the first season at all, I would strongly suggest giving the film a chance.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Great movie. As the review notes, Sora & Shiro are clearly (at least) the spiritual successors of Riku & Schwi (Shuvi), which makes for some interesting considerations, namely: spoiler[Blank NEVER loses, Riku+Schwi NEVER win, did the latter "pay it forward" for the benefit of the former. Or, (possibly) are the two members of Blank "special" characters blessed by "the one true god" (Tet) for the sacrifices made by their forebears? It's also interesting to consider that Riku played "against" Tet for his entire life and never won,
Tet only lost when confronted by Sora (Riku) AND Shiro (Schwi) together as Blank, who are (sort of) also the pair that gave him his current status.]

Also, spoiler[I just appreciated the nod that Tet's rules of the world were basically originally created/inspired by Riku]
artfire28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
my biggest gripe is not in the movie but the 20 minute intro from Sentai Filmwork voice actors and producers almost spilling the beans before the movie. STOP! STOP! STOP! We don't need a walkthrough and that long summary before the film. My advice: be late 20 minutes less. Look at the preview for SAO: Ordinal Scale. Japanese VAs introduced themselves and just teased us for the film. They handled it with respect to the audience while Sentai did the opposite.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
artfire28 wrote:
my biggest gripe is not in the movie but the 20 minute intro from Sentai Filmwork voice actors and producers almost spilling the beans before the movie. STOP! STOP! STOP! We don't need a walkthrough and that long summary before the film. My advice: be late 20 minutes less. Look at the preview for SAO: Ordinal Scale. Japanese VAs introduced themselves and just teased us for the film. They handled it with respect to the audience while Sentai did the opposite.

If you've been to enough Fathom Events showings, you know to always arrive a little late. They are notorious for including special features that spoil the film, as well as mixing up files (such as some people getting the English dubbed version instead if the subtitled one.)
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
The anime is deeply nonsensical on levels both big and small, but deserves "Very good" rating due to the quality of imagery and music -- 30 points:

spoiler[1. Just as the original anime, the character design is so cliche, rough and inelegant, that it immediately expose the deeply mediocre level of graphic art applied to this aspect. However, otherwise the film is drawn, painted, animated greatly, and the music is strong, too.
2. Considering the heavy emphasis on romance in this film, the audience is expected to be significantly female. But it does not give the authors the right to only care about the emotional part of the story which has to be reasonable on logical level, too. To be honest, I find the expectation that female audience would be more forgiving of the possible plot holes and inconsistencies explainable, but it is sexist nonetheless as there are a lot of females that are just as demanding of things making sense as males are. Authors should be show proper diligence and should not be lazy about the plot, and they have to discard ideas that lack consistency, coherence and sense.
3. The concept implicitly cements in the minds of viewers a dangerous xenophobic mentality that it is something alien -- in this case, fantastical creatures like dwarves -- that is evil, while in reality humans are evil on their own, especially those who own both politicians and media that brainwash the population into supporting them. If children will grow on anime like this they will have a good chance to become dangerous radical right-wingers.
4. The whole "game" concept is a big, not really believable stretch for the setting depicted. Unlike the original anime, it looks way more artificial here.
5. It is absurd that the poisonous ashes magically do not penetrate to the caves where the human colony lives. Especially since humans are not magical in any way, so they can not just cast a barrier for the ashes, and they do not have technical equipment for that either.
6. The idea that dwarves would all of sudden "forget" to destroy their all-important maps and strategy schemes before leaving is ridiculous; we deal with authors' being lazy or stupid writers that could not come up with a believable plot for the story.
7. A little lass asks why her killed father will not comeback even though she is not that young to not know and not see that they live in an anti-utopia where almost every male she knows, including her father, is a warrior, which, of course, makes it very dangerous and some people regularly not returning to their homes.
8. The anime's main lad is shown to have his hand shaking in the scene as he is explaining to the young lass that her father will not return home, but it is not believable as the whole life of these people is about constant fights and deaths. It would be impossible to have these kinds of reactions by that point. Such events as deaths of comrades are given in the setting.
9. Then the lad proceeds to destroy the precious in the dying world property people have, which is ridiculous, shows him to be irresponsible, unprofessional, not caring for other people's work and their well-being comparing to his own petty outbursts of frustration that came out of his own poor planning and incompetency that has lead to the death of his comrade.
10. Even more absurdly, the lad screams to/at himself aloud during all of this, which normally would make him unfit for any important role in anything; it might be a serious mental condition and he has to be treated in a psycho ward or something.
11. The main lad is shown to immediately refuse of a proposed sexual contact with a female-looking robot doll, but it is not very believable that a man would do that unless he is not interested in females or sterile.
12. That said, the anime tradition to draw lasses to look years younger than their official age is disturbing, to be honest. This plays as fan-service to Japanese audiences, but not in many territories elsewhere.
13. The robot doll lass speaks and behaves in a way that only fits a five year old idea about how robot should talk.
14. The main lad continues to behave himself as a maniacal psycho, almost killing a robot lass and hysterically crying as if he is a shocked pampered small child in a utopia, not adult in dystopia where the dire situation is all he ever knew and it does not impress him in any significant way.
The character is FAKE for the setting authors have created.
15. The robot doll lass's hair are shown to be super strong, and yet they just fall off on their own to the ground.
16. It is absurd that the ancient elves' protection system allows intruders to come in to learn its secrets and only then reacts to them by throwing them out.
17. The film postulates an obviously false notion that only humans possess "heart" and "will" to survive while in reality all living organisms are the same in this regard and this has nothing to do either with "heart" or "will". It is just evolution and adaptivity with self-preservation functions (see bacteria, cockroaches, rats, so on). The notion is especially ridiculous considering the setting of this anime where the proverbial "deus ex machine" comes to save humanity which is about to be completely destroyed otherwise.
18. The main lad offers blatantly absurd new rules for the human colony he heads: to not kill, and not to allow themselves and people killed. You have to be a five year old to not understand how laughable it is as in most cases your kind gets killed by someone else actively trying to kill him/her, and the only way to prevent that is to stop the attacker, which often times impossible without killings.
19. The main lad ridiculously claims that the human colony will be from now on "ghosts" as they are supposed to be exterminated from outside world's point of view. But this is nonsensical since all other forces are magical, and sensing presence of others is one of the basic abilities magic provides (also seers, oracles, visions all are magical).
20. The main lad has absurdly proclaims that "no one will die" from now on, but there is no way he could be sure of that, so it is another sign that he is not fit to be leader of anything.
21. The main lass has said that he does not care about intimacy with his future wife, a robot doll lass, but it is a blatant lie for everyone who is not a five year old.
22. The robot doll lass explains that she "can not copulate" and hence the main lad will be always a virgin in their marriage, but it makes no sense as she should be definitely able to find a way to change herself a little either mechanically or through magic.
23. The talk about the robot doll lass' culpability in the destruction of the main lad's home town makes no sense as she was a part of the computer supermind at the time and acted upon a common guidelines that defined ways to achieve the task to eliminate the humanity. And yet the authors "forget" about it to create a FAKE drama about this issue.
24. It is absurd that the characters' eyes are either flat or even curved backwards in a side/profile view. Thankfully, this style of drawing of characters, popular up to 2000s, is mostly outdated by now and used very rarely.
25. In the middle of the film during the marriage ceremony the robot dolls says that she was given her "heart" by the main lad, but it makes no sense since nothing in what the robot doll lass says or does shows change versus the beginning (except for the superficial stuff like switching on cutesy ways of talking; though even this she has done in the beginning, too). She was already kind and gentle in the first place due to some error what has made her disconnect from the super-mind computing network; there is NO CHARACTER ARC to that point at all.
26. It is absurd that the main lad could have approached an elf without revealing his identity and searched. It is not clear how he all of a sudden was able to pass through a magical barrier that should protect the elves.
27. The main lad came to the elf with the goal to get some information from her and offers a chess match as a way to deal with it, also indicating that he possess some information that could be useful to the elves. But beside the stupid game match thing being ridiculous, there is no reason why the elf would not just torture the main lad either physically or through magic to get all of the information from him without any issues. The ashes-breathing trick the main lad is absurdly said to use to somehow not be exposed would not help at all.
28. The anime shows that the main lad has to go to open surface of the planes with the harmful ashes all around (though, again, it is absurd that the ashes all of a sudden only stay outside the caves where the human colony lives), but it makes no sense since the robot doll lass could have done it all. So, is the main lad just suicidal?
29. After the robot doll lass is destroyed, a supermind robot lad comes to the main lad and explains that only parts of the devices that are needed to destroy the planet are set, so it should be done differently. But it makes no sense since the supermind could just finish the job of the destroyed robot doll lass itself.
30. It is absurd that no one on the whole planet but the main lad has guessed that combing super powerful strikes of magic/energy could destroy the whole world.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2