• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 105 was way better than it had any right to be. They handled Roshi's character so well in this episode that it kinda took me by surprise how much I enjoyed the episode and was invested into what was going on. They managed to incorporate everything that made Roshi such a revered and renowned fighter, justifying his place on the team, and threw in some wonderful nostalgic elements of his teachings to Goku and Krillin when they were his students as children that seamlessly fit into the perspective of the narrative with how he was fighting Ganos.

But what I really loved the most is how Roshi was respected in-universe. When he seemed to collapse and die, Krillin was in tears and was going to rush back to the arena to help him, even when that wasn't allowed to. And Goku became incredibly distressed, turned SSJB to instantly break free from Maji Kayo and rushed over to revive him and then helped him back onto his feet. The whole sequence was just beautiful and wonderfully played into Roshi previous monologue of what he taught Goku and Krillin under his tutelage. The cherry, or cherry's, on the top was that even Beerus wanted to know his name and while everyone from Universe 7 was concerned was thrilled that Roshi wasn't dead, Roshi reminds Goku that the battle isn’t over yet, even when Goku has to help him back on his feet. That was cool. I also got big chuckle from when Roshi was revived by Goku he asked where all the cute angels have gone.

This was the best use of Roshi since way back during the 22nd Budokai arc.

This was a magnificent episode. The best episode of a pretty good so far arc and one of Super's finest entries.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Ep 106,

This episode was pretty interesting, in that this fight seemed more technical rather than just a slug fest. But couldn't Goku have just instant transmissioned directly over to the guy who was firing off the shots (he did show himself when they revealed how their technique worked), then taken him out while vegeta pounded the reflection guy in close combat? Seems like a relatively simple solution.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
I think it's mentioned in Ep 105 that over half the fighters have now been eliminated. So... there is that.

Not too surprised that Tien got taken out. He's a good fighter, but he simply doesn't have the supernatural power needed to go far in this tournament.

I suspect we're probably still a couple of episodes (at least) away from getting the numbers of fighters down to something manageable. Still, it's been reasonably fun so far. But I'm hoping that there might be a significant twist unleashed in the near future.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
there is this fun thing with tien, unlike other tricky fighters he was explicitly shown to be very strong, in the time between the saiyan fight (he did nto go to kamek) and the android showing he did a lot of trainign, so much that he is technically stronger than the androids, as in the androids were defenseless against cell phase 2 while tien was abel to put up a decent fight.
but dragon bal Z never went anywhere with tien after that (except for surviving buu's world ending attack) so it feels like that cell fight never happened (and it would not surprise me if it never did in the manga).

#844391 wrote:
Ep 106,

This episode was pretty interesting, in that this fight seemed more technical rather than just a slug fest. But couldn't Goku have just instant transmissioned directly over to the guy who was firing off the shots (he did show himself when they revealed how their technique worked), then taken him out while vegeta pounded the reflection guy in close combat? Seems like a relatively simple solution.

yeah, that bothered me too.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Poor Tenshinhan, he always gets the short end of the stick despite being one of Akira Toriyama's favorite characters.
Takamuratrollface

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I find that this episode did justice to Tien's character. It was as mentioned a battle of techniques rather than power levels...

#844391 wrote:
Ep 106,

Well it seems that some universes' fighters don't have "ki". So Goku cannot sense them and alas cannot use his ability to reach them...
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
About Roshi still being in the fray. Theres a fan theory going around that the order of the members from U7 can be seen in the end credits. So far it looks on point but we'll know in the coming eps if the theory is real
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, this episode was freaking awesome to watch. The fast pacing in the battles and the sudden twists and quick thinking of all of the character in a more "show don't tell" kind of presentation.

It worked SO WELL! I hope the next episodes will all be like this one, this getting really good.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
Ok looks like that fan theory is out the proverbial window. Still this was a great ep and Beerus praising Roshi at the end was the icing on a diabetes inducing cake
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Well now I gotta say that spoiler[Frieza and Gohan had an interesting dynamic going on there. Frieza is quite the actor but how long will it stay like that]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone questioning which side Frieza is one? I mean, that's obvious: Frieza is on Frieza's side, and that's it.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Why is everyone questioning which side Frieza is one? I mean, that's obvious: Frieza is on Frieza's side, and that's it.

Fair enough though what I meant is that how long will Frieza continue to be a team player before he does his thing though I doubt he'd be stupid enough to piss off Zeno as we saw what just happened when you do something he doesnt like
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
I was actually referring more to the comments made by some of the characters during the episode: Krillen, Master Roshi, Beerus, etc. They were all going on about whose side Frieza was on. He's on his own side, and that's it. That seems like a no-brainer to me.

And, yeah, Frost tried to break the established rules of the tournament. Frieza definitely won't do something that dumb. I'll be interested to see what his play is, because Frieza is a pretty clever and underhanded guy.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
When you say it like that then yes you're right. Even Beerus was surprised when he realized what Frieza and Gohan were doing. I actually believed it too. Only proves how clever Frieza is and how well the writers made him out to be so far. Frost is easily one of U6's best guys so that was definitely a blow to them.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I figured at that first punch at Gohan that Frieza was going to "throw" the fight to take out Frost by surprise. Gohan's reaction was pretty blatant.

I also found it amusing how he was setting up Frost to fail in the future by pointing out how he can enhance himself, but stating it should all be used in the beginning of the fight because it burns out fast. Which was Frieza's original problem with the forms. So Frieza pointed out the flaw, told Frost to try to get things done in the limited timeframe, and completely neglected to mention that Frieza himself had simply worked his way through his flaw. Next time they fight, Frieza can simply outlast Frost.

Unrelated, but some friends of mine have suspected that all but Universe 7 will be erased, with Goku using the Super Dragon Balls to wish back the removed universes. I have been getting the growing feeling that the solution will be more clever than that. Zeno is removing low-mortal-level universes to remove workload, so wishing back destroyed universes is just going to start the whole problem over again. I suspect the wish to actually be to bring everyone/thing in the destroyed universes into Universe 7. Still less universes for Zeno to deal with, no massive deaths, Universe 7 probably gets a good spike in its mortal-levels by adding everyone together, and Goku can more easily get into rematches with all the fun new fighters he has met.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 40