• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Netizens Choose Their Grotesque Anime Must-Watch List

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Clearly popularity has too much influence on the list over the whole "gory" anime criteria. I mean seriously, Madoka at #4? It deserves to be a top 5 on many different lists for any number of reasons, but not on this list. Not over relative bloodbaths like Blood-C, Parasyte, Elfen Lied, Berserk, Hellsing, etc etc etc.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I agree with some that this list has an odd mix of violent and tame and the criteria used is a little hard to understand. For instance why is Madoka ranking just under Higurashi? And End of Evangelion above School Days?? I thought the latter's ending was widely considered too shocking in Japan (they censored it live after all). I also agree that AoT was overall somewhat gory but not horrifying. I can't take the titans seriously.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I agree with some that this list has an odd mix of violent and tame and the criteria used is a little hard to understand. For instance why is Madoka ranking just under Higurashi? And End of Evangelion above School Days?? I thought the latter's ending was widely considered too shocking in Japan (they censored it live after all). I also agree that AoT was overall somewhat gory but not horrifying. I can't take the titans seriously.

Again Berserk and Violence Jack really sorely missed here. I know no one wants to talk about Violence Jack but it does exist though I'm guessing it's only considered extreme over here and in Japan is forgotten mostly.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The most groesque thing about Tokyo Ghoul is its writing. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

lol i loved Tokyo Ghoul
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

when lists are like that I prefer to hear from someone that knows what the japanese quesiton was about, recently we got one poll about weak protagonist that had haruhi in there because whoever translated the poll at first did not understand the question.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
So Hellsing and other series are not on the top but School Days that only has one gore scene at the end makes it, well it doesn't really add up...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2