• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NaNa Manga worth it after seeing anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
After finishing the NaNa anime some time ago I'd decided to just let that be the end of it for me since the manga is unfinished, but the other day I came across some manga spoilers on the Wiki and... good lord.

Is it advisable to start from where the anime left off or is it better to start over from the beginning? Is it available digitally in English anywhere?
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I think Viz have released it digitally, yes.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
I don't see the harm in reading the manga from where the anime left off, but somebody who's read and watch it can suggest otherwise. I stopped watching the anime at Episode 22 and then wound up reading all of what Viz put out.

There's a few chapters that I haven't read yet that were never compiled into book form, but I honestly don't have the heart to seek them out, with where the story stopped. One would assume Yazawa made a full recovery but it's hard to say with so little information on what happened.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
NANA is available on Comixology and the Amazon Kindle. I both watched the anime and read the manga a very long time ago. IIRC the anime follows the manga relatively closely. The manga still leaves you hanging at the end, but I think it gave a little more development and maturation to Hachi which was important especially since I remember that some anime only watchers hated her with a passion. I've always been curious about the live-action version, what it covers relative to the manga and how good is the music?
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. Guess I'll see about starting at volume 13 eventually.

One-Eye wrote:
NANA is available on Comixology and the Amazon Kindle. I both watched the anime and read the manga a very long time ago. IIRC the anime follows the manga relatively closely. The manga still leaves you hanging at the end, but I think it gave a little more development and maturation to Hachi which was important especially since I remember that some anime only watchers hated her with a passion. I've always been curious about the live-action version, what it covers relative to the manga and how good is the music?

I don't but I can see why.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I enjoy every version of the story and frequently re-read as well as re-watch the manga, anime and the live action adaptations too. From start to finish because they all have their own unique character(s). The sound of the various adaptations has become part of the way I now hear certain manga panels too. With welcome contributions to that soundscape from the second live action film as well - Mika Nakashima singing Ai Yazawa's composition 一色 frequently pops into my head, randomly, while not reading the story, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1