• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Dub The Ancient Magus' Bride, Dies Irae, Kino's Journey, Juni Taisen, Urahara An

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The Ancient Magus' Bride getting dubbed was a forgone conclusion for me; I hope the dub is top notch. Yesterday I finally watched Those Awaiting a Star, and it confirmed that AMB deserves the hype and could be this year's best anime series.

I love seeing people like your self that are new to the series and have enjoyed "Those Awaiting A Star", it's in my opinion a great start to the anime. I've been in love with the manga for awhile and I also saw the early theater showing of the first 3 episodes, so I'm really hoping people fall in love with the world and characters as much as I have.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Not too surprising that Ancient Magus Bride to get a simuldub, but glad anyways. It seems to be a series that could lend itself well to English, (similar to Euro-centric fantasy series like Snow White with the Red Hair).

Also pretty excited that Kino's Journey will be getting a dub as well. The original ADV dub was pretty good, but considering the Japanese cast is already different, I'm fine with a new cast for this sequel.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Good, Ancient Magus Bride is one that I wanted to see on this list. I'm hopeful that Love Live and Blood Blockade will be added, but it's not like Amazon hasn't gone after sequels before.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I had this feeling CR was going to do handle AMB like what they did with Gintama, I guess they sublicensed the dub/home video to Funi.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely interested in hearing many of these dubs. After a rough Spring and Summer, it's really looking like FUNimation and Crunchyroll have saved the best for last in 2017. AMB, Dies Irae and Kino's Journey all have me really excited.

Now let's just hope that BBB's sequel stays with FUNimation so I can binge that one in its glorious dubbed form.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Cool, cool... NOW WHERE'S RE:ZERO????

Random Name wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Oh boy, I kind of hope Love Live Sunshine S2 is going to get announced later.

This definitely has me worried would be very disappointing if Amazon gets...

Funimation tends to announce additional pickups at the last minute, so this clearly is not all they are dubbing this season. Expect Love Live and BBB to get simuldubs as well.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I would do anything to get the original ADV cast for Kino's Journey, but Kelli Cousins doesn't do voice acting anymore.

Then again, Eric Stuart came out of retirement to reprise Gourry. Hope she has an attachment to the role.

I hope Code Realize gets a dub and everyone has appropriate accents...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
FUNimation and Crunchyroll just dominating this season in terms of pick up. Very solid list, which should only get better.

I must have read the wrong list then. The one I saw had a mix of "Beauty and the Bluebeard", "More Boring Adventures With Kino" and "Fate/Stay/Lite" on it.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I would flip if FUNi somehow managed to mirror what Japan is doing with Kino's Journey and upgrades Lily Sakura's voice actress in the original anime to the role of the new Kino(in Japan they are having Aoi Yuki play Kino and she was Lily Sakura in the first series). Laughing

The good news is that Hilary Haag is still voice acting too!
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The blog also mentions they're dubbing Recovery of an MMO Junkie.

I assume Funi's getting Love Live Sunshine S2 since they got Season 1 unless Anime Strike wants it for some reason.

I'm the most curious about Food Wars S3. It's already been confirmed Food Wars S3 is going to be a Crunchyroll exclusive, which means that Sentai probably doesn't have the license for it. Funi would probably also like to simuldub such a popular series, but I don't know if they could get the Houston cast, and it would be really weird to have the dub for Season 3 be available when Season 2 is still unreleased by Sentai.

I don't like Sentai's subs usually so I can't really complain about this probable licensor change but I hope complications with Sentai don't result in the third season never seeing home video.

Last edited by FlowerAiko on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Lets hope that the Kino's Journey dub will be handled by an actual talented ADR Director that understands a cult title like this deserves a high quality dub in terms of casting and voice direction. I don't have a ton of faith in the current lot that's directing a bulk of the broadcast dubs many of the them lack experience, identity and presence when it comes to directing. I feel Kyle Phillips would be the most fitting choice to direct this dub. He always brings a fresh casting mentality to his overall work.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Funimation throwing the first major salvo for fall pickups. Glad to see them announcing a few before the majority of sentai/amazon shows get announced.

I was really worried they might not get dies irae. Glad they got it this oughta be fun as hell.

Obviously theres gonna be a hell of alot more but this is an excellent start.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
I'm the most curious about Food Wars S3. It's already been confirmed Food Wars S3 is going to be a Crunchyroll exclusive, which means that Sentai probably doesn't have the license for it. Funi would probably also like to simuldub such a popular series, but I don't know if they could get the Houston cast, and it would be really weird to have the dub for Season 3 be available when Season 2 is still unreleased by Sentai.

I don't like Sentai's subs usually so I can't really complain about this probable licensor change but I hope complications with Sentai don't result in the third season never seeing home video.

I don't believe it was announced CR got the exclusive license to Food Wars S3, just the streaming rights. This used to happen all the time that CR would stream shows, and then later Sentai would license them for home video and even stream them on their own services like HiDive.
Hazelll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Any news on whether any of these are gonna get a "same day dub" ?
paulchaested

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

I don't believe it was announced CR got the exclusive license to Food Wars S3, just the streaming rights. This used to happen all the time that CR would stream shows, and then later Sentai would license them for home video and even stream them on their own services like HiDive.

I dunno, this is the very first time ever for CR getting WORLDWIDE rights for Food Wars which makes me believe they do indeed have the master license to it*. The previous seasons we're certain territories sublicensed to CR by Sentai. I would imagine CR sub licensing the dub/home video to Sentai if Funi doesn't simuldub (which honestly I don't think they will). This is pretty much just like whatever master license CR acquires (especially shows they themselves produce like Ancient Magus Bride, Urahara, etc) they sublicense the dub/home video rights to Funi.**

* I could be wrong on this.
** I'm very positive that this is how CR/Funi share seasonal anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4