• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gamers! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

For the most part, I think this episode made me like Aguri more. Originally, I find her character rather childish compared to the others because of her personality. However after seeing this episode, I'm starting to see Aguri in a slightly differenty light.

They still added some minor misunderstandings again as usual and by this point, I'm pretty much used to it now. Tendou's still in love with Amano more than ever and their relationship will probably be focused on even more soon.

Also, I do like how they have some focus on the sibling relationship between the Hoshinomori sisters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
That park scene was difficult to watch, probably the worst I have seen Gamers! at. None of those gags and expressions were funny, and that boxer part was like...the heck is happening right now?

The episode gets much better afterwards, though, largely thanks to Aguri (as per usual). I would have enjoyed a bit more of a confrontation with that group she met with, but I suppose something like that would have been out of character for her. Walking away is really the best option. And even before walking away, she was handling that situation very well, not shying away from the fact that both she and her boyfriend are part of a group of "nerds," and didn't seem embarrassed by that at all. Great stuff!

As it stands now, the friendship between Aguri and Amano is the strongest relationship in the series, and the most entertaining to watch. The sisters are also fun to watch as well, with the younger sister being surprisingly grounded (by comparison).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Argh!

Tasuku, why do you care so much about worst girl? You should be caring more about your own girl! And why does this SHOW want me to care about worst girl? She sucks. I don't care about worst girl; she had a chance and she blew it. Keita and Karen are happy together and worst girl has no right to interfere.

I love Aguri and Keita's friendship but I've always liked Aguri. :3
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Honestly I think Konoha was being a big brat in this episode in trying to push Keita towards Chiaki, getting in between him and Karen, the same way that Tasuku saying he would support Chiaki, they don't have the right to get involved like that. What I do think was fun was the different chemistry the characters have between each other, that regardless of the loner label that was put on him before, he can have different relationships. It played a lot more that despite what the others think, it really looks like he can just have a friendship with the girls like Aguri and Chiaki, he really looking like he has no intention of cheating on Karen. Their geek freak out in enjoying the amusement park was also great, that might be the best way that they are a good pair with shared passion, and I am totally jealous at not being able to go somewhere like that.

The little touches are good too, like I was fond of the health bars as they took damage from being told things. It was not that it is actually that unique, but that there was some attention put to extra bars that might allow for some recovery and other mechanics in games that others might not put in. Man, I want to go into a haunted house dungeon attraction, I have been trying to run a D&D Curse of Strahd (horror) campaign recently.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:51 am Reply with quote
Kudos to Gamers! for not going the cliche lap pillow route; they could have easily made Chiaki wake up on Amanos lap, but put Konoha in that position instead. I just kinda appreciated that.

Another thing I appreciated this episode were the details in each characters behavior - Tendos grip on her stuffed bear changing during her phone call, Tasukus hesitance to hold Aguris hand, Konoha being the only person having fun at the park because the others are way too distracted to feel comfortable, and pretty much every expression on Chiaki's face at the park. Small little things that said a lot about how the characters were feeling.

I personally don't find anything wrong with Konoha and Tasuku getting involved in Tendo and Amanos relationship. Tasukus meddling is a HUGE part of why they're together in the first place. He's Amanos second closest friend, and he thinks he's doing the right thing by trying to get Amano together with someone he believes Amano would be truly happy with. He's trying to be a good friend.
And with Konoha, she's doing what she thinks is best for her sister. From what we know, Chiaki has always been an outcast because of her interests (whether that was by choice is another discussion), so she's likely felt lonely for quite a while. No friends who shared her passion, and definitely no guy she's felt she shared a deep connection with. Now, not only is there a guy she has a connection with, but it just so happens to be the only guy who supported her through her years of following her passion. While everyone else was telling her to quit because she would never be great, he supported her through and through, and that meant everything to Chiaki. And you can bet Chiaki told all this to Konoha in all that time. Konoha understands how important all of this is to her sister. So, of course Konoha is going to interfere! She's not gonna wait for someone to " give her the right," she's going to do everything she can to make her sister happy, because for the first time in her life her sister found someone she truly cares about.

Sigh. Why must this only have 12 episodes?! Its too good to be so short! I do really wonder how next weeks episode will go, though. I can't imagine something huge will happen, because there wouldn't be enough time to clean it up. But I really don't think Gamers! would end things on a mildly pointless episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quote
I'm bored with this show and want it to be over. I'm just so done with misundertandings, not to mention I really don't care about any of it except for Tasuko and Aguri. I could probably watch a show about those two.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
I sympathize with Blood- but I do still like this show a lot. The misunderstandings have completely taken over the show, and the gaming club and its members have been forgotten. The show is still fun but not as fun as it was at the beginning.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
It's funny you mention the gaming club because I was just thinking this morning how completely it's been dropped as an element. I know I must sound a little harsh and I by no means dislike the show or regret watching it. It's had some classic bits in it like the "Life" game from a few eppies back. It's just that I'm ready for it to be over.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Honestly I think Konoha was being a big brat in this episode in trying to push Keita towards Chiaki, getting in between him and Karen, the same way that Tasuku saying he would support Chiaki, they don't have the right to get involved like that.

I totally agree. I wanted her to eff off already. But I'm glad Tasuku sorta switched sides. Anime hyper Tasuku obviously cares about Karen's happiness as well and just didn't realize that.

What was the dumb excuse they gave for Chiaki fainting? Because there were lots of people? Come on. Just make it heatstroke....or something like that.

Quote:
The little touches are good too, like I was fond of the health bars as they took damage from being told things.

Haha! That was funny!!

This episode felt more like a finale than anything else....what are they gonna do next week? I think I want to check out the manga.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

An epilogue more than a finale, but considering the content, it was kind of fitting. I remember a complaint I heard earlier that this show had very little game content despite it supposed to be a main theme, and my response has been that this show is not about games, it is about "gamers", just as the title implies. Sounds like a strange difference but it is there. Even as this episode was probably the most about games with them talking about things like DLC and like, it still very much kept to what this mean to gamers, the people playing them. And I was thought was pretty on point that this discussion was led by the non-gamer of the group, Aguri. Despite her role she actually stayed pretty likable despite saying some blasphemous things to gamers, and she also made some good points, both in why someone might not be into games, and where there are problems. It was kind of nice though with her learning what it was that it meant to.

Would say I am again a fan of some the friendship between Keita and Aguri, and thought it funny when the rest like their partners goy annoyed by their antics coming across as pretty much flirting. Talking about an obscure reference, there was the part where Chiaki was turned into a Sega's Seaman, fitting for one who likes weird games. And I think I will segue more directly into what this episode was really about in what games can mean to people, and it is absolutely worth discussion like this here. I could give a number explanations for myself: that I like running through motions to feel like I am doing something fun, I like to play some really hard games where I feel good after beating something really punishing, I like a good story, I sometimes like something pretty weird, and I even enjoy watching videos about people raging about how horrible a game is. Totally want to talk about how I recently got and eventually beat Metroid Return of Samus, which totally came with an DLC for a hard mode (which was a cool Metroid amiibo), but in general to even beat the normal mode was pretty difficult and felt great to finally won. Karen's mention of hard games as fun did feel like a reference to the like of Dark Souls, which is part of that thing that can make people think you are weird for getting so invested in something it is meant to torture you, I can recall some times I got incredibly stressed and angry. But games are also an environment that you can feel like you can try something very difficult in safety, without trying to go out and fight a bear with a dagger.

To risk taking this discussion too much further, I actually think a nice majority of modern games have done away with things like frustrating grinding that the show mentioned, at least the ones I am familiar with. Or at least they are mostly within side quests that I am actually interested in checking out, and I am not even going to play a game that I don't feel engaged with. Sure I could spend money on more useful things, but there is a worth to what I consider a badge of accomplishments of something like feeling I saved the world somewhere, or some other memory of something that meant something to me.

To now talk about the series in general. I liked it, there was a number of things with character actions that surprised me through out its run. The misunderstanding thing was kind of wearing itself out towards the end, but I thought that it started out being pretty smart and funny with it, and was not the only tool that it had. I think that it actually had some pretty strong character chemistry, and to contrast it to a show I particularly thought that failed this season, there was quite a bit of work into what these characters would think. Quality wise in some ways like art I would say it is a little rough, which I feel could come from a pretty small time studio, and this certainly feels like a win for PINE JAM, which this got a surprising amount of attention despite the expected genre and budget. In part because I think that this show sort of felt genuine, that it understood what it was talking about, and was not even just trying to play it for cheap tricks of just making game references. It did not just try and make fun of "normies" despite I think some jokes, nor feel jaded, that there are some problems in the gamer culture, yet not saying that there is no point to people in that culture.

Characters were interesting nuanced, that I think you could laugh at and yet still like all of them. The everyman nice guy can be quite passionate about what he likes, you can sympathise with him. The rich and smart ojou is pretty open and not really too prideful, and fun to laugh at despite you know supposed to being pretty perfect. The popular dude is a nice guy, but also a bit of a dork from thinking he has all of the answers. The nerdy girl makes a turn to improve her appearance and is her own character without relying on appeal of that character type. And the ditzy bubbly girl is strangely likable without playing on saying she is not smart, in that she is pretty perceptive and a realised character, actually being very likable.

For a rating, I am going wit Good (7/10), it is worth seeing. It is not great, but open for a season I think with the added attention it could be with a bit more of polish. But that my enjoyment kind of went past that, and had me clicking with it in a few places. And to compare I would put it with This Art Club Has a Problem, in being a surprisingly fun show, this maybe even more so where I could fit myself in the group of the show as a gamer myself.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I just binged this series and have to say WOW.

Okay let me preface it and say the first 11 episodes were okay. I actually found EP 11 to be a bit of a letdown and felt most of it didn't work very well. Keita being his normal self, the bratty little sister being extra extra annoying. Karen and Keita seemed more settled which was good but the tired confusion and lack of communication was wearing on me. I would have given it a 6/10 if it had just ended at 11 I think. Maybe a 7 because I really liked Uehara and Chiaki was growing on me. My least fav character was Aguri because she was Aguri (now realizing how deliberate she was a setup for some things), and really karen wasn't far behind as she was pretty 2 dimensional there just to set up Keita's wish fulfillment.

But in EP 12 changed that with me by turning the tables entirely around on everything. Aguri shot to my favorite character in the series and her lampooning of the entire industry was amazing. I laughed (as a gamer) and cringed at how much she was spot on...and the team's responses were real as well. But darn it was funny to see it all laid out like that.

And at around 6:50 into the episode Hoshinomori has the best statement ever...I want to frame it and pull it out periodically as Truth social commentary.

Anyway after Episode 12 my thoughts about a lot that built up to it shift my rating to an 8. I think it's worth watching but you have to watch all 12 episodes.

And I have no clue if there will be a second season, but if there is I would watch it in a heartbeat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6