• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virginian Teen Suspended over Names in 'Death Note'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baisengan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
oh noes...now it's starting over here...
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
That's a little extreme. I think it's ridiculous that people are getting all worked up just because of Death Note. It's a great anime, but come on - it's a work of fiction.

Better hide my Death Note notebook Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Oh boy. I wonder how long it'll be before the show's pulled off of US airwaves? Anime hyper!
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
It's wrong when he does it, but it's fine and dandy when it's the neo-con think tanks doing it. Rolling Eyes Anyway, unless the dude has some weapons in his basement, they're infringing on his free speech.
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
Here come the right-wing Christians, don't look now!
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
People just think it's gonna end up like another Columbine or Vtech. Seriously though, every teen goes through a moment of hating others. He expressed it this way as how some of us would vent through blogs or to our friends. A suspension may be reasonable... However, I think the school officials should have scheduled a session with the parents and the school psychologist to understand his intention and clear up any issues in his life.

Last edited by midori kou on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:40 am; edited 2 times in total
FeralKat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:

I don't think any one political party is to blame here. No finger pointing please. If a teen was found to have a regular old hit-list, everyone would be concerned, not just us "neo-nazis." Rolling Eyes (And I LIKE Death Note BTW.)
Shawaazu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
This series sure is causing a lot of trouble. Confused
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
JackCox wrote:

I don't think any one political party is to blame here. No finger pointing please. If a teen was found to have a regular old hit-list, everyone would be concerned, not just us "neo-nazis." Rolling Eyes (And I LIKE Death Note BTW.)

Exactly what I thought the moment I saw the article. Kids have gotten expelled over "hitlists" before, there's no reason why he shouldn't receive at least some form of punishment. (Even if it was innocent, it's still an issue that should be handled seriously)

Plus, as far as it infringing free speech as GATSU stated, it's the school that did it. You have no free speech when it breeches rules set by an establishment that you're under. (Such as, if you work at McDonalds, you're not allowed to say "f**k" in front of customers)
F8TE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
I can see how such an act can be taken out of context, especially with everything that has happened in recent years leading up to today. Although I think suspension is a bit steep for this situation. If you single out problems of this nature (I’m not referring to the current situation at hand) and make a “big ordeal” out of it in front of the faculty and student body your only imposing more problems. They should be dealt with yes, but on a smaller more personal scale. On a brighter note, what great publicity for Death Note, someone is bound to have to read into it now.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:

Christ, this threads already gone to hell.

10 minutes that must be some kind of record.

Anyway, for the vast majority of the faculty, and the students for that matter who would happen to see a list of names in a book labeled Death Note, it would appear like nothing less than an old fashioned American hit list. No wonder people freak out that have no clue. Especially in a school. And I know a thing or two about academies and weapons are always available to the willing.

Free speech rights or not, this kid is nothing less than a complete idiot, moron, and a$$hole. Anyone could figure out how that would appear. It's people like this that cause unjust, unfair reactions due to the nature of people lives being conceivably at stake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
Well, the connection to Deathnote at least IMO means that this is far less serious than finding an actual list of people he wanted dead as this indicates its more of a "wishful thinking" kind of thing rather than an actual list of people he wanted to kill.

Still though, its just idiotic. How stupid do you have to be to do something like this in a climate such as this with incidents such as Virginia Tech. Not to meantion, get a damn life. If you've got nothing better to do than write down a list of people you want killed you live a pretty pathetic little existance.

I wish they would explain Deathnote a little better. The way they put it inaccurately represents what its about.

Quote:
a Washington state librarians' group nominated it for a young adult book award.

I hope this will count for something if the s--- hits the fan.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think some people are trying to hard to make this appear innocent simply because anime is involved. While it's possible to be bias against anime and is something so many people tend to complain about on these forums, that road goes both ways.

Whether or not an anime was involved or not the fact is he had what could be interpreted as a hitlist and given the history with people taking this series too far and the very real prospect of violence in schools these days it's a bad idea to "wait and see".
RezSav

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
I blame video games, liberals, republicans, and Iran.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
Hm...I wonder if some deranged person might start believing in the Death Note to a certain extent. Like as a confidence booster and possible scapegoat.

"John Smith killed by me."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9