• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Dwango Head 'Worried' About Kemono Friends Director's Removal

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Someone in Kadokawa stuffed up big time and is going to be in hot water.

Problem is, Japanese culture with its emphasis on face-saving is not conducive to admitting mistakes. So the company as a whole is highly unlikely to rehire the director even though that would be the reasonable thing to do. They'll just pretend the firing was all part of some secret plan.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Someone in Kadokawa stuffed up big time and is going to be in hot water.

Problem is, Japanese culture with its emphasis on face-saving is not conducive to admitting mistakes. So the company as a whole is highly unlikely to rehire the director even though that would be the reasonable thing to do. They'll just pretend the firing was all part of some secret plan.

Well times are changing slowly, plus well the presence and pressure from social media maybe something good will happen. Hopefully justice is served and he's rehired, guess only time will time tho.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
A pink slip coming up. Everyone knew that firing the director was a horrible idea but someone in Kadokawa wanted to probably Cinderella Girlize the series (basically turning the second season into a disasterpiece) and did so anyway.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Now, when even the CEO of a large conglomerate is engaged in company damage control because of the dismissal of a single person whose name wasn't even known until the release of the series, it is possible to tell with certainty about the importance of Tatsuki's name in relation to Kemono Friends.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Well it is good to know that even the president of the parent company of Kadokawa was worried about what happened. Hopefully this means that Tatsuki will be rehired.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Now, when even the CEO of a large conglomerate is engaged in company damage control because of the dismissal of a single person whose name wasn't even known until the release of the series, it is possible to tell with certainty about the importance of Tatsuki's name in relation to Kemono Friends.

Yes, even though I wasn't one of the fans spinning "Evil Kadokawa" conspiracy theories, this is one hint that the attachment, attention and loyalty paid to anything Kemono is not to be underestimated in fan culture. Very Happy
Who's not directing it is getting more attention than who is, and that's certainly what the studio didn't expect, at least that they could sweep it under the rug for whatever reasons. We may see some concessions.
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
This whole boondoggle reminds me of The Producers. They make a mobile game, shutter it before the anime even comes out, suddenly it's immensely popular, but instead of just turning the game back on, they do everything they can to screw it up - "another video project", a new game completely different from the existing one, a "sequel that's not the other project, but will take a long time", and won't be handled by the guy who made the show a hit... it's like somebody shorted the stock on this one. I don't get it at all.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Well it is good to know that even the president of the parent company of Kadokawa was worried about what happened. Hopefully this means that Tatsuki will be rehired.

Makes me wonder about the morals of The Walt Disney Company boss Bob Iger when something like might happen to 1 the workers of 1 of their subsidiaries.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:

Makes me wonder about the morals of The Walt Disney Company boss Bob Iger when something like might happen to 1 the workers of 1 of their subsidiaries.

Not Iger, but contrary to popular belief, Roy Disney's "SaveDisney.com" movement in '05 didn't start because of Michael Eisner "trying to get rid of 2D animation", but over union concerns after his steadily firing every 2D director at the studio, including Aladdin's John Musker & Ron Clements, and Beauty/Beast's Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise.
And after the mass support headlines got from the private-sector fans, even if for not the same reasons, things didn't end well. At least for Eisner. Very Happy And given that Iger was dead center in the press focus of cleaning up the mess, I'm pretty sure he would know the issue ahead of time.

Here, it's just ONE director fired for undisclosed reasons from a title he'd gotten unexpected recognition for, and whose fan loyalties in all corners was a bit underestimated.
It's not going to bring the company down or shake it up for good as the Disney example, but the unexpected flap is either going to force a more detailed press statement, or even a rehiring, with a co-director. Either way, anything Kemono wasn't going to go down as quietly as they thought.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
A pink slip coming up. Everyone knew that firing the director was a horrible idea but someone in Kadokawa wanted to probably Cinderella Girlize the series (basically turning the second season into a disasterpiece) and did so anyway.

What would Cinderella Girlize mean in this case? What do you suspect they would change?
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
I think things are looking worse at the moment. It was a stupid move to remove Tatsuki. Kemono Friends is pretty much in jeopardy. Either they rehire him, hire someone who is as good as him, or work even harder than before
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why anyone thought this was going to be a good idea or that it would be received positively by fans.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone thought this was going to be a good idea or that it would be received positively by fans.

I am sure we will get more information behind Tatsuki's firing. I hope it is not something like the Konami-Kojima controversy that ruined MGSV.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:

For real though. People are blaming capitalism and all kinds of random sh*t, but anyone with half a business brain wouldn't be happy to let literally their biggest asset go. Nah, it's not good business that got him fired, I'm curious what the actually reason(s) is/are, but if it's related to business at all, someone is a moron and made a terrible decision. And they should probably be fired.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Japanese businesses are stubborn. The best-case scenario I see coming out of this is they bring Tatsuki on as lead script-writer / producer (since he was also doing that at Yaoyorozu) for whatever other studio handles the production of S2. Probably in standard 2D instead of 3D is my guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3