• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Sword Art Online Series Adds Writer-Producers Patrick Massett, John Zinman

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Skydance Television President Ross commented, "We're already deep in development with Patrick, John, and Laeta on our larger than life Skydance SAO series, in which we aim not only to satisfy the franchise's enthusiastic sci-fi and anime fan base but also to appeal to new TV audiences the world over."

Okay, I get that, but we don't need a live-action adaptation of Sword Art Online. It's better for newcomers to watch the anime (there's a dub for crying out loud, they don't have to watch it subbed!) instead of wasting millions of dollars on a live-action adaptation. I don't care about Sword Art Online, but a live-action adaptation isn't gonna give me the incentive to check out the franchise.
青白

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
First your name and now SAO. North American media entertainment sure has gone to the S*****HIT in terms of creativity.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of this fun/flawed isekai, I'm hoping for the best with such an ambitious adaptation. I'm a bit wary with how well a TV budget and time schedule can handle the look of SAO but I'll wait and see. With any luck the story can expand on the too-short foray into the Aincrad arc and discuss more in-depth the differences between the worlds both real and virtual.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
As with all of these live-action anime adaptations, hoping for the best, but expecting to get garbage as usual.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
In before they change the names of the characters and the location of the story like what Netflix did with Death Note. Evil or Very Mad
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Okay, I get that, but we don't need a live-action adaptation of Sword Art Online. It's better for newcomers to watch the anime (there's a dub for crying out loud, they don't have to watch it subbed!) instead of wasting millions of dollars on a live-action adaptation. I don't care about Sword Art Online, but a live-action adaptation isn't gonna give me the incentive to check out the franchise.

You can't deny the fact that there are millions of people out there, if not billions, who would otherwise not give it a chance if it wasn't live-action. (THEIR mistake will be to attempt to appeal to anime fans.)

青白 wrote:
First your name and now SAO. North American media entertainment sure has gone to the S*****HIT in terms of creativity.

This time though, this is an independent studio, not a major Hollywood one. (Remember that the anime industry itself is mostly adaptations too.)
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
As a fan of this fun/flawed isekai, I'm hoping for the best with such an ambitious adaptation. I'm a bit wary with how well a TV budget and time schedule can handle the look of SAO but I'll wait and see. With any luck the story can expand on the too-short foray into the Aincrad arc and discuss more in-depth the differences between the worlds both real and virtual.
I am a bit wary of it being made into a TV show simply because it is a fantasy world involving fights with monsters and I am skeptical that they can pull it off. They either spend so much money that if it isn't a huge hit than it soon gets cancelled or they go cheap and people don't bother watching it. There is a balancing act that is needed for a good fantasy show on TV that rarely happens.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
青白 wrote:

Japanese media is not better either. Considering Sao is a ripoff of .hack. Many shows are just rehashing the same stuff over and over again.
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Can't really go anywhere but up with SAO
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
Exactly.
GainaxFanboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
next we'll see Hajimete no Gal have a live action and i'll watch it
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
青白 wrote:

It's not "creativity", it's "Producers who've never heard of anime, except for what The Young Kids With Their Cellphones talk about."

And if we have fans who talk about nothing but SAO on fan forums, guess which "hit anime title" Hollywood is going to try and remake, thinking they're hip.
That's how we got Death Note and Ghost in the Shell, after all.

(Hey, just for an April Fool's gag, let's spend two weeks talking about nothing but Monster Musume on every fan forum, and see what Hollywood does...
Oh, wait, we already tried that with Kemono Friends, and it didn't work. Razz )
chronos02

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
My state of mind when reading such things, and one I'd recomend everyone to have:

Expectation from a hollywood live-action adaptation of an anime: It's gona be garbage

Reasoning behind this:
If it ends up being garbage: as expected
If it's better than garbage: something to be happy about!
If it's a masterpiece: Happyness EX

This is far better compared to the "usual" way to take such situations:

Usual expectations: It could be great! they have the money! And lots of experts!
If it ends up being garbage: rage EX and/or sadness EX
If it's better than garbage but below normal: Rage C~A++, Sadness C~A++
If it's normal: Neutral state of mind, disappointment A
If it's better than normal: Happyness E~B++
If it's as masterpiece: Happyness A

With this I mean to say that, if one's looking at it with skepticism and expecting what's pretty much happened till now, you won't be sad if it fails, but you'll be incredibly happy and surprised if it becomes a masterpiece! On the other hand, if you have expectations, you have the chance of getting incredibly disapointed, sad and angry if it fails, and up to being somewhat happy if it's a masterpiece, since you "expected" that.

I believe this is the only way to look at hollywood productions nowadays, I have enough rollercoasters with anime adaptations from LNs/VNs and Manga.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You can't deny the fact that there are millions of people out there, if not billions, who would otherwise not give it a chance if it wasn't live-action.

Yes I can! In the words of Steve Jobs "A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”. Japanese anime studios should make a real effort to sell their products to people beyond the hardcore base, albeit I admit the simple reality we live in is that for decades they have made no effort whatsoever to show anime to the mainstream, if there is an anime industry nowadays is thanks to the hardcore fans that subtitled and distributed their favorite animes. There is of course an inertia to break, but hey, twenty years ago people would not believe you needed to carry a computer about the size of a small purse and nowadays people can't remember how they went on their daily lives without one.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
yeah, with a so-average-it's-average story if it gets worse it could become bad enough to be amusing, but there's also a lot of room for potential improvements on the story as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3