• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime of Fall 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eely225

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
Two Car was robbed.

It has the potential to reach the soaring heights of Long Riders.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
I am happy that Blood Blockade Battlefront, my favorite 2015 show, is coming back with a new season. But my most anticipated Fall anime show is without a doubt The Ancient Magus' Bride. AMB looks like a prestige/high quality production with an attractive premise and interesting characters. I have not read the source material, but the OVA's are very solid.

I have a love-hate relation with March comes in like a lion, but I am still interested and intrigued by some of its characters, particularly Kyouko. Inuyashiki seems like another prestige show that I could appreciate if it is executed well. Finally, Just Because! intrigues me, but I am not sure if it will actually be good.

Fall 2017 is shaping up to be a strong season. I hope 10-12 shows keep me engaged throughout and that I come away really liking or loving 2-3 of those.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yuki Yuna Is a Hero, the 2014 series that I rank with Princess Tutu and Madoka Magica as one of the all-time greatest magical girl series.

I'm legit surprised anyone feels this way. I felt it was a really try-hard knock off of shows that came before it and did really nothing for me.

I feel like the Mahoutsukai will be ruined for me by all the hype for it. I mostly enjoyed the manga but I was never comfortable with spoiler[the fact that he buys her from a slaver, to be his wife. He bought his wife. From one angle, it can be argued he's grooming her. And mad made me feel uncomfortable when I was reading the manga.]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
Nice to see a lot of the reviewers looking forward to AMB, especially the ones that have seen the first three episodes like myself. Easily my most anticipated show, even in such a promising season.

After that I’d put Gintama and Osomatsu san. As much as I liked the more serious arcs, it’ll be nice to see Gintama return to its comedic roots. And I can’t help but anticipate the return of one of the best anime comedies in recent years.

Yuki Yuna is another that I’m looking forward to. I definitely agree that it is the number 2 magical girl anime of the Madoka variety at least (though after recalling all the other magical girl anime I’ve seen, which isn’t much, I’d put it second in general like Theron). It’s nice to know that I won’t need to see the movies we never got over here.

My other honorable mentions include Food Wars and Girls’ Last Tour. URAHARA is the only anime that I’ve read the source material so I’ll check it out, though presumably the source will just be a prologue, especially since it’s getting two cours.

I’ve said this many times but for BBB&B and Kino, I’m too concerned about the staff changes to be very excited about them. I don’t think they will be bad, but I hope they don’t receive dishonorable mention at the end of the season for being most disappointing.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Black Clover is easily my most anticipated show. What Studio Pierrot showed looks really good and the manga is pretty damn great, so I'm really excited to see Asta and crew get animated.

My other most anticipated show is Just Because! I honestly have no reason for why. That main visual is just clicking. It's a true shame Funiroll didn't get it. I would have watched it dub.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
Yuki Yuna Is a Hero, the 2014 series that I rank with Princess Tutu and Madoka Magica as one of the all-time greatest magical girl series.

I'm legit surprised anyone feels this way. I felt it was a really try-hard knock off of shows that came before it and did really nothing for me.

I quite liked Yuki Yuna Is A Hero. Even if it's hard not to see parallels to Madoka Magica, it's interesting how they tweak things within that blueprint. YYIAH adds humor and slice-of-life elements that are absent in Madoka, and the concept of its final arc, in which spoiler[one of the girls goes rogue to fight the other girls and destroy the magical girl system itself], reworks the twist of Madoka Magica Rebellion.

It's also noteworthy in that, if I'm not mistaken, there are literally no other speaking parts in the entire series beyond than the 5 Hero Club girls and one retired magical girl.(*) That takes a lot of character work to pull off.

(* - correction: one of the girls receives an answering machine message in episode 9 or something. So… not quite.)

FWIW, my fall list: Wake Up, Girls!, Love Live! Sunshine!!, Yuki Yuna Is A Hero, The Ancient Magus' Bride.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Yuki Yuna is another that I’m looking forward to. I definitely agree that it is the number 2 magical girl anime of the Madoka variety at least (though after recalling all the other magical girl anime I’ve seen, which isn’t much, I’d put it second in general like Theron). It’s nice to know that I won’t need to see the movies we never got over here.

To be clear, I consider Yuki Yuna to be even with Madoka Magika if not slightly ahead in the action-oriented branch of magical girl titles. It's at least Madoka's equal in production values and I felt it improved on the character interactions, which is the shakiest element of Madoka. I also think it's a slightly smoother bit of storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, there's a lot to look forward to this season. These are the highlights for me:

Gintama - Easily my favorite comedy series and if it does indeed go back to it's comedic roots for a season, that would be fantastic. That's not to say the more dramatic stuff isn't fun in its own right though, so no matter what they do I'll be happy.

12 Wars - I am an unabashed Nisio Isin fan. Anything he touches, I'm absolutely going to watch and/or read. So his name alone puts it near the top of my list. But beyond that, the preview looks fantastic and the story just sounds like it has the making of a good, bloody fun time.

Ancient Magus Bride - Honestly just going on hype with this one. I have not read the manga nor have I seen the OVA's. The previews look nice though and with everyone so excited for it, I'm eager to see what it's about as well.

Blood, Blockade, Battlefront, and Beyond - The staff changes slightly worry me, but I have no doubt this is just gonna be good ol fashion entertainment much like the first season was.

Inuyashiki - Gantz was one of the first "fucked up" kind of anime I saw back in high school. I loved it so much back then and even though I don't think I'd like it if I were to go back and watch it now, it still holds a special place in my heart. Morbid curiosity is the main driving force behind my desire to watch this, although it does have an interesting premise as well. More than that though, how many anime have a 58 year old main character?

Land of the Lustrous - Don't know much about this one, but something about it has grabbed me since I first started seeing information on it. Even though it wasn't mentioned by any of the writers, I've seen a fair amount of hype for it as well, so I hope it can deliver.

Classicaloid - I loved most of the first season, but the last few episodes didn't do much for me, so I'm not looking forward to the second season as much as I thought I would be. Still worth seeing on how the early episodes play out though.

Just Because - Honestly, I'm a sucker for high school romance/dramas and this seems like it could scratch that itch. That's really about all I have to go on here.

There's still a handful of shows that I have mild interest in, but these are the big ones for me. I'm looking forward to what should be a loaded season.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Inuyashiki sound interesting, rare that you get anime with old people as MC.

I haven't rewatch kino journey so I'm not sure how well it'll hold up now that I'm older, guess well found out since I doubt they'll mess with the formula.

Juuni taisen... they do know there's an actual Fate show this season right? You'd figure they'd at least avoid putting it out in the same season.

Houseki no kuni, art look nice, no idea what it'll be otherwise.

Robo master, color me intrigued based on the premise, could be good. Could be absolutely awful too.

Fireball humorous, I can't find any info about it at all, I like the poster but that's literally all I can find. Anyone know something about it?

Black clover... At this point I wouldn't be surprised if there were more show set in a magic world where the main character power is to negate magic than show were the main character just use magic like everyone else. It's such a textbook "how to make your main character special yet relatable to normal people".

BBB, I'm not too worried about the changed staff for the simple reason that most of the anime original stuff was pretty boring (White was fine, but the ending and the episode before felt like they were out of a far worse show), so if they change staff but stay faithful to the manga (which I haven't read) it should be good.

Holy crap there's a lot of stuff, wasn't anime supposed to be dying or something?
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
This upcoming season is going to be fairly overwhelming for me. I've still got multiple series from the past few seasons of this year to catch up on.

That said, from this upcoming season I'm really looking forward to these five:

Ancient Magus Bride since I adore the manga and cannot wait to watch the story animated - and from all the early impressions they're doing a damn good job.

Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond because the first season was outstanding, and while the change in staff may be a little worrisome, I'm still excited. Really looking forward to the potential simuldub for this one.

Kino's Journey since I love the original and cannot wait to see how they adapt it anew. Also, Lerche usually puts great teams together for their anime, so the animation should be really nice.

Robomasters for multiple reasons. The college setting and robotics competition chief among them.

Food Wars S3 since it's one of my favourite manga and I cannot wait to see more animated.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The characters were put through the wringer, and the original series ended on a high note that rewarded them for their struggles.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero
Yeah, it did end on a high note for a certain genocidal mass murderer who sought to destroy all life. Here we learn that the power of friendship, is even extended to would be world destroyers who seek to kill everyone, and most likely caused the deaths of thousands. Don't get me wrong, I loved the series, but the ending just ruined it.

This Fall season seems to be good, so looking forward to it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Would I be correct in presuming that the 3 OVA episodes for the Ancient Magus Bride take place later in the series and should not be watched before the TV series?

Right now I'm planning to watch Gintama, BBB&B and probably Kino if it doesn't end up being too familiar to the last series. Probably Ancient Magus Bride too. Though I might wait till the end of the season and just binge 'em.

I haven't seen the first series for Yuki Yuna or Osomatsu (though I'm planning to at some point), so those are on the back burner for now.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Would I be correct in presuming that the 3 OVA episodes for the Ancient Magus Bride take place later in the series and should not be watched before the TV series?

No, they’re a prequel, so you can watch them before the series, which I did. You don’t have to watch them before it either.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
The Ancient Magus' Bride is the one that I'm excited for without any real reservations. New Kino's Journey and Blood Blockade Battlefront: Beyond, I'm going to be very cautious with so as not to be let down if they do drop the ball on them.

Will give Land of the Lustrous a shot too and have to watch the first four Gintama series before I get to the current one.

Last edited by Zeino on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Covnam wrote:

No, they’re a prequel, so you can watch them before the series, which I did. You don’t have to watch them before it either.

They're partly a prequel. You can understand enough about what's going on to watch them first, though they'll make more sense if you wait until near the end of this season to tackle them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3