• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chikara Sakura Directs One-Punch Man Anime's 2nd Season at J.C. Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like One Punch Man, part of me really loves how the hype died as soon as they announced that it wasn't Madhouse doing the animation. It does show me how fickle anime fans are and that a lot of them are only there for One Punch Man because Madhouse made it look pretty.

It's like the only people who like Type-Moon stuff because Ufotable made it look cool. I understand wanting it took good, but too many fans only watch anime "because it looks cool".

Since I like anime from J.C. Staff I'll be fine.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
^I can only speak for myself but I don’t think you should mistake trepidation about staff changes as pertains to the visual quality to only liking it because it was pretty. While the visual execution was part of what made it one of the best series in recent years, the story was part of that too. While I’m concerned they won’t be able to execute at the same level visually and am not as excited as a result, it is more shifting expectations from A to A- or B+ rather than dropping it all together. I wouldn’t still be planning to watch it if the story wasn’t interesting beyond the visuals.

Also I’m not particularly concerned about the studio, as the staff is generally a better indicator. Though in this case, I would be just as concerned if it stayed in studio but with different staff, as Madhouse is a shell of itself after a good chunk of their talent left to form MAPPA, VOLN, and NuT.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
As much as I like One Punch Man, part of me really loves how the hype died as soon as they announced that it wasn't Madhouse doing the animation. It does show me how fickle anime fans are and that a lot of them are only there for One Punch Man because Madhouse made it look pretty.

It's like the only people who like Type-Moon stuff because Ufotable made it look cool. I understand wanting it took good, but too many fans only watch anime "because it looks cool".

I've never avoided a series because of how it looks, but I also reject the notion that it's wrong to prioritize visuals above everything else. This is entertainment! Why should you have to watch it a certain way? And why is it fickle to want a series to primarily look pretty or cool? I get annoyed with people who discount anime that have important stories because they think it looks bad as much as the next guy, but they have every right to do that, and it's not any more fickle than prioritizing any other aspect of a production above everything else.
Never really understood why people prioritize something like writing above all else, think of that as the mature and cultured way to consume something, but reject any other approach to consuming media. I think that close-mindedness is what's truly fickle and petty.

Quote:
Since I like anime from J.C. Staff I'll be fine.

That's not how anime studios work, but good for you.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:

Really? That still doesn't relieve me... In your opinion can the new director pull it of(I don't really know them)? I already know that J.C. Staff is a good Studio I think

I think he can. But it's going to mostly depend on who he can attract to the project. Chikashi Kubota, the Animation Director is already a good start. He is a super talented animator and had the same responsibilities on the first season. He also knows most of the same people as Natsume, so he may be able to bring a few talented people onto the project. Sakurai has a lot of ties to Pierrot and various parts of Naruto, so it's likely he knows a lot of the talent from that as well. Most of them are probably busy with Boruto, but we can hope for a few cuts here and there, maybe. He also worked with A-1 on a couple of pretty notable projects, with other pretty amazing talent, so anyway, he does likely know some people. It'll all depend on whether he can get them to work on his show. The biggest point of worry is that he's never really handled a series like this. All of his directorial credits are for specific episodes, and frankly, I don't know if those specific episodes were good or not. He seems to be an animator at heart though, so he could be just waiting for a chance to shine.

I see, we'll have to see what happens then. One Pan is one of the few anime that I wouldn't change a thing in the animation, to be frank I thought they would tank the first season, cause animating what Morata draw must be really hard but they delivered in the end to my surprise.
Ok, I hope you are right and he can gather those staff, Naruto had some seriously good fights and A-1 does some good anime, thanks for the input.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
Studio's don't matter as much as people would like to think, though.

Except with Onepunchman sequel it's a real matter because of it's animation team, that Natsume bringed to Madhouse. The last time when J.C.Staff done to action-packed series (Danmachi: Oratoria)... it was one piece of crap.

What about the original DanMachi? The action was good on that?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
TdFern 87 wrote:

What about the original DanMachi? The action was good on that?

Most of the people responsible for Danmachi were freelancers, as is usually the case with anime production, and we have no idea if any of those people will be on this series at the moment. Looking at past JC Staff action shows to prove OPM will be good or bad, is not really a productive use of time, since who is actually making this show could have literally no ties to the studio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5