• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Honestly calling "emotional manipulation" a bad thing or using it as criticism is just a cop out way of saying whether you like a story or not. Saying it was the writing or framing of the scene or the reasoning behind it is all irrelevant. Any praise/criticism of "emotional manipulation" I've ever seen boils down to: Did you like the show? Then the emotional manipulation was warranted. Did you not like the show? Then the show used cheap emotional manipulation to illicit a response.

It's a frustrating and fruitless argument that I've seen countless times in the medium and it always goes nowhere. Everyone has different responses to anything emotional, heck when I see a cat who was killed on the side of the road I feel sad for it. It didn't need any "special writing or framing" in order to illicit a sad response in me. I found Made in Abyss' to be a very emotional experience and it definitely made me emotional in several episodes including the last. But to all those defending it, remember that when you say the same things as Crunky for a different show, your point will be viewed as the same way.There is absolutely no correct way to make a show emotionally charged but trying to convince someone that their emotions were cheap and that yours is the right response goes nowhere.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Honestly calling "emotional manipulation" a bad thing or using it as criticism is just a cop out way of saying whether you like a story or not. Saying it was the writing or framing of the scene or the reasoning behind it is all irrelevant. Any praise/criticism of "emotional manipulation" I've ever seen boils down to: Did you like the show? Then the emotional manipulation was warranted. Did you not like the show? Then the show used cheap emotional manipulation to illicit a response.

It's a frustrating and fruitless argument that I've seen countless times in the medium and it always goes nowhere. Everyone has different responses to anything emotional, heck when I see a cat who was killed on the side of the road I feel sad for it. It didn't need any "special writing or framing" in order to illicit a sad response in me. I found Made in Abyss' to be a very emotional experience and it definitely made me emotional in several episodes including the last. But to all those defending it, remember that when you say the same things as Crunky for a different show, your point will be viewed as the same way.There is absolutely no correct way to make a show emotionally charged but trying to convince someone that their emotions were cheap and that yours is the right response goes nowhere.

Yea, but you are not in a story where you see the apparently dead cat on the side of the road, feel all sad over it, and then suddenly some hand of God writer from beyond the fourth wall decides that, due to previously unknown magic, the cat is actually not dead. The cat then springs to life and walks away unharmed, making the extraction of your emotions into a cheap trick like the writer was just playing with you for a moment. That is the type of thing I am talking about when I say bad examples of manipulation.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I see a lot of people claiming there aren't enough chapters for another adaptation. People seem to forget that the chapters are not equal length because this was not published in a comic magazine but instead online. There are 6 volumes that have been released that are all approximately the same length. The manga ended 2 chapters into volume 4, almost exactly half way through the current available material. There is fully enough material (after about 2-3 more chapters) for another season.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Ergzay wrote:
I see a lot of people claiming there aren't enough chapters for another adaptation. People seem to forget that the chapters are not equal length because this was not published in a comic magazine but instead online. There are 6 volumes that have been released that are all approximately the same length. The manga ended 2 chapters into volume 4, almost exactly half way through the current available material. There is fully enough material (after about 2-3 more chapters) for another season.

I imagine you haven't read the manga then. They can't really use any of the vol 6 chapters yet unless they wanna stop dead in the middle of the current story arc. So with only about 1.7 volumes to work with (since first season ended in early vol 4), I don't really see how they could pull off a proper season without stretching the material out beyond reason.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:

I imagine you haven't read the manga then. They can't really use any of the vol 6 chapters yet unless they wanna stop dead in the middle of the current story arc. So with only about 1.7 volumes to work with (since first season ended in early vol 4), I don't really see how they could pull off a proper season without stretching the material out beyond reason.

@Ergzay basically what Ragdollomega said,plus you realize the author release a chapter when he gets around to it?

Made in Abyss's author releases new chapters when they get around to it,they're really into 'Splatoon' along and their main job is as an illustrator.

Now in a recent tweet he gave out the standard 'if Made in Abyss sales go well'..yadda yadda yadda season 2.And announcing ch 43's probable release date-sometime between Oct and Nov,a mere two months after chapter 42 was released.(He is rocking now.almost 5 chapters released this year...maybe)
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:
They can't really use any of the vol 6 chapters yet unless they wanna stop dead in the middle of the current story arc.

The purpose of a one-cours-at-a-time adaptation of an ongoing manga or light novel is to convince people to start reading the source material, so they typically end by teasing the next arc. The manga (extremely broad and predictable, but spoiler tagged for safety)spoiler[has currently only finished introducing us to the setting and new characters for the next arc, but then the latest chapter ended on a cliffhanger with the revelation of what appears to be the next major threat]. That would actually make it the most conventional point to end the next season at, even if there were already more chapters out.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:

The purpose of a one-cours-at-a-time adaptation of an ongoing manga or light novel is to convince people to start reading the source material, so they typically end by teasing the next arc. The manga (extremely broad and predictable, but spoiler tagged for safety)spoiler[has currently only finished introducing us to the setting and new characters for the next arc, but then the latest chapter ended on a cliffhanger with the revelation of what appears to be the next major threat]. That would actually make it the most conventional point to end the next season at, even if there were already more chapters out.

I dunno, would adapting a whole volume into an arc be just "teasing"? Plus most of these kinds of teasers I've seen are usually just a quick nod at what's to come at the conclusion of whatever story arc ended. Not establishing the next major setting and introducing most of the major new characters for the following arc.

Edit: If they only adapted the arc after what was covered this season, they would likely end it at spoiler[when they're getting on the elevator or when they're getting off of it.]
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Made in Abyss's author releases new chapters when they get around to it,they're really into 'Splatoon' along and their main job is as an illustrator.

Got any more info? Unless he's got Kantoku-level skills in that area, I have to seriously question his choice of main occupation...
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
@Ragdollomega - I agree that most shows only briefly touch on the next stage of the story, but they tend to be written in a way that makes that very easy to do, whereas the transitions in MiA are much longer. Although there was a self-contained subplot, the last few episodes of what we have so far was also part of the buildup to the next arc, so they'd be ending on a similar note.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
@Ragdollomega - I agree that most shows only briefly touch on the next stage of the story, but they tend to be written in a way that makes that very easy to do, whereas the transitions in MiA are much longer. Although there was a self-contained subplot, the last few episodes of what we have so far was also part of the buildup to the next arc, so they'd be ending on a similar note.

Fair enough, though there isn't any mini-conclusion that could be used yet unlike the spoiler[mitty mercy murder]. That could very well change with the release of the next couple chapters though.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

Got any more info? Unless he's got Kantoku-level skills in that area, I have to seriously question his choice of main occupation...

His Twitter posts-
https://twitter.com/tukushiA

https://twitter.com/tukushiA/status/914963675277967360

(though he may have dropped being full time illustrator)
(( he seems to be one relaxed dude))
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 29 of 29