• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tatsunoko Confirms That Gatchaman's Not the Name of the Team

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Sort of like saying Team Batman? The team might be named after it's leader, Batman, even if it includes Robin, Batgirl, and so on...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
So they’re just the Science Ninja Team, led by Gatchaman. Gotcha.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
A new generation of company executives boldly go where no one has gone before "Hey, gatchaman is embarrassing! what were they thinking back then?". I fully expect that in two decades we will hear "Hey, did you know, the main character of Naruto has a real name, naruto is just his nickname!".

p.s. For those wondering after watching the picture, one red arrow says "gatchaman" and the rest of the arrows say "member".
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Because they're really named Gachaman and they're coming to a Tatsunoko Heroes game on an iOS/Android device near you! Laughing
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
So they really were "G-Force", then?

Next, we'll hear there really was a 7-Zark-7.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I always thought Gatchaman was a funny and unique name.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
My whole life was a lie Shocked
noriah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
What? So it's like Josie and the Pussycats? Gatchaman is an individual! I've gone my whole life thinking it's the name of the team, like Magiranger
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
What about Gatchaman Crowds then? All the members were called gatchaman. I know it wasn't an exact remake but still.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
They'll always be G-Force to me Smile
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:

Except they NEVER called the team G-Force in the original Japanese version!
That was a unique coinage for the team used for the first two English dubs done by Sandy Frank.

As far as this business about "Gatchaman" being G-1 specifically or the team, I think it's funny they're sort of going back on the way the term has been used in the past.

I felt it went either way in the original series. They sort of DID use "Gatchaman" colloquially for the entire team IN ADDITION to making it clear that it was G-1's/Ken's specific codename so why they're making a big deal of it now 45 years later is beyond me other than they're promoting a new series (which I don't honestly think looks that attractive but then I don't like the new secret identity/civilians designs or the CG look in particular)... I thought it was very clear the term was thrown around like that in the original series or ADV really, really mistranslated it and I just don't think there was a mistranslation there. For crying out loud, look how the term Gatchaman was used in the TITLE of the show all these years as well as the successor series, "Gatchaman Crowds"!

Answer us this, then Tatsunoko --- what the hell does "G" then mean in front of all the numeral designations of the strikeforce members? "G-Man" in US terminology means "government man." Does it really hurt your new show if it's really "G(atchaman)-1", "G(atchaman)-2," etc. instead of just G-1, G-2, etc. in the original series? Acronyms and abbreviations usually do stand for something and they're just not thrown out there for no reason at all.

The funny thing about using G-1 in the new CG series is that he wasn't even the most popular member of the original Science Ninja Team! The most popular character was G-2, Condor Joe -- at least in the Japanese version. He practically dominated the plotlines for the second half of the original series and had the major running storyline (health issues) for the second Gatchaman series.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again, first it was 'Hello Kitty', now it's Gatchaman. So after 40 years I guess they expect everyone to get it. And if you didn't we'll wait almost 50+ years to finally tell you that "the cake is a lie". In a way it's like the term 'Gatchaman' is like a title for a commander. Like Sgt, or Colonel. Or 'King'. So everyone else is the subjects. No wonder Joe was always trying to push that button arguing with Ken all the time. I guess if one day Ken graduated to another title or died then Joe would be 'Gatchaman'.

But like someone stated together they are team 'Gatchaman'.
PMDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
K.o.R wrote:

Except they NEVER called the team G-Force in the original Japanese version!
That was a unique coinage for the team used for the first two English dubs done by Sandy Frank.

Sandy Frank had nothing to do with the second English dub, known as G-Force. Turner did that one with their own writers and scripts.

For that matter, technically, Turner 's dub wasn't really the second dub. Prior to doing the G-Force series, Turner had various "creative" companies do demo dubs just to see how it would work. Some of those tests ended up on Youtube and they are awful and thankfully nothing ever came of that work.

No, I mean really awful. So bad, somebody leaked them. Go see it and cringe.

Turner got their act together and eventually coughed up the G-Force dub that everybody knows.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, we are supposed to believe. I think fans are smarter than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1