• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Night is Short, Walk On Girl

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
THIS MAN IS A GOD!
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Good to know it's as every bit as visual stunning and witty as Tatami Galaxy but doesn't have mile a minute dialogue that forces you to rewind the video over and over again to catch everything that was said.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
If I were to guess, maybe the principals only "really live" at night and the story follows a year of "nights out" which might also be metaphorical of their emotional states (?). Can't wait to see what the truth is...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Zeino: Well, I think the appeal of that is you miss the dialogue, and you want to buy it on home video. At least in Japan, anyway. Wink
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Personally the "dense dialogue" was one of my favorite parts of Tatami Galaxy, but I guess that's not for everyone.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to seeing this and hopefully owning it as well. I wouldn't mind backing another Anime Limited Kickstarter for this like I did for Mind Game.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
This sounds fantastic. I love The Eccentric Family, and the source material was written by the same novelist, so if/when I get a chance to watch it, I want to keep my eyes peeled for Tanuki or other Eccentrics in Kyoto! Wink

I've had trouble watching the Tatami Galaxy because of the sheer amount of dialogue--I feel like I have to pause every scene to keep up. I've been holding out hope for a dub (*sigh*) or a way to watch it at half speed (there's probably a way through streaming...)
I'm glad to hear the movie is newbie-friendly. Really hope it gets a streaming and/or physical release.
noriah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I've been holding out hope for a dub (*sigh*) or a way to watch it at half speed

VLC media player can play DVD or PC media files faster or slower without pitch shifting. There are some other video players with the same feature. I've used it to watch a ton of shonen/shojo at 1.5-2x and I'm quite satisfied with the results. Music does get a bit compromised, because the rhythm is changed, so I typically revert to 1x when the bgm is especially good or if the plot centers on music, but it works well in most cases.

After doing it a few times, I was surprised at how little the original effect of watching the show was impacted by changing the speed. Many shojo/shonen repeat a lot and there are a few shows where if I watch them at normal speed for an episode, I can feel myself drifting off or wishing they'd just get on with it instead of retreading the same dialogue,
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Who has the licensed this in English? And is there any plans of a theatrical run/immediate DVD release?
Can't wait to watch! Great review!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I know there is a small theatrical run in England right now, and I believe it has been shown at Film Festivals in Ottawa and Glasgow already as well. Not much hope for a North American license considering that FUNimation has just sat on the Tatami Galaxy license for years without a disc release and Mind Game, Yuasa's other film, never got a disc release either.

So pretty safe to say we'll be relying on the UK and/or Australia once again. Anime Limited I don't believe have announced that they have the license, but I'm 99.99% sure they will get it, even if it takes another Kickstarter.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
This sounds fantastic. I love The Eccentric Family, and the source material was written by the same novelist, so if/when I get a chance to watch it, I want to keep my eyes peeled for Tanuki or other Eccentrics in Kyoto! Wink

I felt like the review gave all the credit to Yuasa and the Science Saru gang and none at all to Tomihiko Morimi who wrote the original story.

I had to go look it up in the middle of watching it because the Eccentric Family shout-outs (Kyoto setting, triple-decker magic bus, Denki Bran liquor, Shimogamo, darumas, among others) were becoming so frequent I knew there had to be a connection. Smile

At any rate, this is my favorite of Yuasa's projects, as it's probably his most accessible (for which I again credit Morimi). I've never been able to make it through Tatami Galaxy (not for lack of trying) because of the exhausting dialog. This movie was much more relatable, and I liked how neatly all its themes came together (which in itself was one of the themes).
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I've had trouble watching the Tatami Galaxy because of the sheer amount of dialogue--I feel like I have to pause every scene to keep up. I've been holding out hope for a dub (*sigh*) or a way to watch it at half speed (there's probably a way through streaming...)
I'm glad to hear the movie is newbie-friendly. Really hope it gets a streaming and/or physical release.

Just deal with it my dude. Show's more than worth it.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Having finally seen it, I just want to state that Night is Short better than The Tatami Galaxy and may quite possibly be Yuasa's magnum opus. (Well it's either this or Ping Pong.)
OmegaE50

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
I actually saw this movie last night with my brother He's about to leave for college and said he's been wanting to see this movie for a while It was so much fun but I have not actually seen Tatami Galaxy Sense at the time it came out I have no interest in watching it But after seeing this movie I think I'll give it a try Very Happy
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
Really was great. You have a bonzo story, the surrealist director, an adventurous animation staff, but for all that "avant-garde" pedigree it was still utterly whimsical and accessable.

The only thing I didn't really like was its somewhat gross and passive celebration of binge drinking. There were no discernible drawbacks to what should be considered lethal amounts of alcohol consumption (yes, I know- it was exaggeration). Some people got red-faced for awhile but our heroine's reaction was always "Mmmm booze GOOD!" and ran on to her next adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1