• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paramount Picks Up Sonic the Hedgehog Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadHi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Transformers movies are loathed, and the only reason they make money is because they are built on a successful brand. Sonic will never reach the popularity of Transformers, and video game adaptations (especially live-action ones) tend to be flops, the only real exception being Warcraft. Paramount is not Disney; it can't coast off of company recognition either - in fact, it has the smallest market share out of all the Six Major Studios.

If they are loathed, why do they make so much money? I'm not saying popular or financially successful = good, in fact, I think Bayformers is sh*t and I've only watched 1 and 3 entirely, dropped the 2nd about an hour in or less and I was watching it online, and completely avoided 4 and 5. I'm never watching another Bayformers, or even a Bay-directed OR produced film ever again. But I digress, that money is coming from somewhere. A lot of people are going to watch those pieces of rubbish and all that cash can't be all, mostly, or even half, coming from people who hate them.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
"The film project first emerged in 2014 as a hybrid computer-animated and live-action feature film"
NOOOOOO! It's going to just be another trashy stupid Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. I think this is all an attempt to have Sonic kiss a real human woman.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
It’s going to be terrible. End of story.

It’s pretty safe to assume,if it has sonic and sega attached to it,its going to be terrible.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Watanabefan wrote:
...Does Sonic have a lot of brand recognition outside the U.S. (excepting Japan, obviously)?

Sonic has a very sizable following in Europe. Besides the widely popular Sonic the Comic back in the 90's, French companies have had a hand in every Sonic TV series (DiC produced AoStH/SatAM/Underground, Boom is a French co-production, and Sonic X's third season made its world debut in France), and UK fans have organized an (officially recognized) Sonic fan convention in London called "Summer of Sonic" which has run eight times since 2006.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Haysey wrote:
...can't we just have a good animated movie in the same style as the Sonic CD opening (and Sonic Mania trailer) rather the CG mixed live action?

...please?

Technically it's already been done, so it would be kind of redundant.

davonepresley1998 wrote:
I just assumed that the filmmakers and staff realized that it was probably going to turn out to be crud, and just cancelled the project, but apparently this is still being made for some reason.

If Hollywood figured every idea wasn't going to be successful if translated to film we'd have never got such films as Baby Geniuses, Master Of Disguise, The Golden Compass, Jupiter Ascending, etc

Sony likely figured not to go through with this after Ratchet & Clank bombed which has also imperiled the Sly Cooper film.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Satanichia wrote:
It will be brilliant. Can't wait for this flawless film to reach my eyes.

ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Haysey wrote:
...can't we just have a good animated movie in the same style as the Sonic CD opening (and Sonic Mania trailer) rather the CG mixed live action?

...please?

Technically it's already been done, so it would be kind of redundant.

davonepresley1998 wrote:
I just assumed that the filmmakers and staff realized that it was probably going to turn out to be crud, and just cancelled the project, but apparently this is still being made for some reason.

If Hollywood figured every idea wasn't going to be successful if translated to film we'd have never got such films as Baby Geniuses, Master Of Disguise, The Golden Compass, Jupiter Ascending, etc

Sony likely figured not to go through with this after Ratchet & Clank bombed which has also imperiled the Sly Cooper film.

Pretty sure that's not a movie. In fact it was 2 ova's spliced together as such
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Watanabefan wrote:
...Does Sonic have a lot of brand recognition outside the U.S. (excepting Japan, obviously)?

Sonic is surprisingly unpopular in Japan. It's often a question if the newer games even chart on their week of release. Sonic's a franchise that exists solely off of western sales, which explains why there's been more western animated adaptations than Japanese ones.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Sony Pictures had nothing to do with the Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper films. They did make the Angry Birds movie, which is getting a sequel.

I can't really explain why they dropped Sonic. They know name brands can carry awful family movies (see their first Smurfs movie hitting $500 million) and it's not like the studio that just successfully released The Emoji Movie is going to focus on quality.

MadHi wrote:
If they are loathed, why do they make so much money? I'm not saying popular or financially successful = good, in fact, I think Bayformers is sh*t and I've only watched 1 and 3 entirely, dropped the 2nd about an hour in or less and I was watching it online, and completely avoided 4 and 5. I'm never watching another Bayformers, or even a Bay-directed OR produced film ever again. But I digress, that money is coming from somewhere. A lot of people are going to watch those pieces of rubbish and all that cash can't be all, mostly, or even half, coming from people who hate them.

The Last Knight under performed commercially. It's the lowest grossing entry in the franchise. It's also the final one Bay has been involved with. Next year's movie is a Bumblebee focused spinoff from the director of Kubo and the Two Strings. Hasbro is currently developing a fully animated theatrical feature based in that universe.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:

Pretty sure that's not a movie. In fact it was 2 ova's spliced together as such

Yes I know hence why I said "technically".

Primus wrote:
and it's not like the studio that just successfully released The Emoji Movie is going to focus on quality.

Yes not before the fact (which I alluded to with those examples) movie studios don't always kill an idea for a movie before it's greenlit even when the premise is ridiculous.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
I think this is all an attempt to have Sonic kiss a real human woman.

Why? Why would they want that? Why would anybody want that?

...And doesn't Sonic already have a hedgehog girlfriend? (At least he did in the comics & cartoons I watched as a kid).
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
They've already tried it once. I haven't really played anything after Sonic Adventure 2, so I'm not sure what they did with Amy over the years.
MadHi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

The Last Knight under performed commercially. It's the lowest grossing entry in the franchise. It's also the final one Bay has been involved with. Next year's movie is a Bumblebee focused spinoff from the director of Kubo and the Two Strings. Hasbro is currently developing a fully animated theatrical feature based in that universe.

According to Wiki, it made 605.4 MILLION USD. Even if that is a couple of hundred mills from the 2nd lowest grossing one, it's still a helluva lot of money that wouldn't warrant, financially speaking, Hasbro ending the Bay universe there or Michael Bay leaving the franchise regardless of the masses opinions. Besides, we've heard that bastard, Bay, say each film was his last since the 3rd. I'll believe his done when the next film is announced and even then if he's absent, it won't guarantee he wont return after that.

I heard the new animated film is self-contained and is actually inspired by G1 designs but not set in that universe.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
According to Wiki, it made 605.4 MILLION USD. Even if that is a couple of hundred mills from the 2nd lowest grossing one, it's still a helluva lot of money that wouldn't warrant, financially speaking, Hasbro ending the Bay universe there or Michael Bay leaving the franchise regardless of the masses opinions. Besides, we've heard that bastard, Bay, say each film was his last since the 3rd. I'll believe his done when the next film is announced and even then if he's absent, it won't guarantee he wont return after that.

I said under performed, not flopped. Paramount weren't thrilled with how it did. Yes, $600 million is still a massive amount of money, which is why the Bumblebee spinoff and future sequels haven't been cancelled. However, given the gigantic drop between 4 and 5, it's clear audiences are getting tired of this particular style of Transformers movie. The movie is still only filming, but everyone involved with Bumblebee have stressed that it's nothing like the other ones lol.

MadHi wrote:
I heard the new animated film is self-contained and is actually inspired by G1 designs but not set in that universe.

I think you might be confusing Transformers: Cyberverse, the TV series that'll replace Robots in Disguise, with the animated film. We know very little about either, but the latter is supposed to be a CG-animated prequel to the current movies. Cyberverse is supposed to be some anthology series telling specific stories from the Transformers universe. So far that's been promoted with G1 designs.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
They've already tried it once. I haven't really played anything after Sonic Adventure 2, so I'm not sure what they did with Amy over the years.

They never actually made him and Amy a couple for one.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Sonic is surprisingly unpopular in Japan. It's often a question if the newer games even chart on their week of release. Sonic's a franchise that exists solely off of western sales, which explains why there's been more western animated adaptations than Japanese ones.

I'm not surprised, considering Sonic was intended to appeal to foreign audiences in the first place, compared to the more "Japanese" Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone/Zillion, and Alex Kidd.

To be fair about this, I can't see how the Sonic franchise could possibly go any further rock bottom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3