• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Summer 2017 Season

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Kind of weird seeing Sakura Quest in 2nd place, to be honest. Loved the show myself, but it was one of those inconsistent things that a lot of people seemed kind of "meh" on for most of its run.
Overall pretty solid season, as far as I'm concerned. Still going to have to give Princess Principal another go at some point. I don't know why the writing just didn't work for me. I am not usually a fan of most camp, but the way that this is described as "campy" doesn't seem like any of the stuff that I actually had an issue with, like pretty much all of the drama in episode 6(awkwardly, the episode that many tout as their favorite..) and the episode with the spoiler[girl who commits suicide].
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Seems like Rage of Bahamut tanked with the audience similarly to how it tanked with the reviewer. No surprise there, and also no surprise that Made in Abyss held the top cumulative spot the whole season.
Crunky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
This system seems heavily biased towards shows with small viewerbases versus ones with larger ones. Most people dropped Sakura Quest before the end of the Spring season yet it shot up with its last episode same thing with Re:Creators.
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
No surprise there, and also no surprise that Made in Abyss held the top cumulative spot the whole season.

Which goes to show how weak this season was.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:

That's just your opinion. Most would describe Made in Abyss groundbreaking, no matter what season or year it had aired...
Crunky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Crunky wrote:

That's just your opinion. Most would describe Made in Abyss groundbreaking, no matter what season or year it had aired...

A show that does nothing unique or significant is considered groundbreaking now? This industry is going to shambles Rolling Eyes
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Crunky wrote:

A show that does nothing unique or significant is considered groundbreaking now? This industry is going to shambles Rolling Eyes

I suppose you were looking for more harem shows, isekai, imouto, or giant robot shows? Or maybe some more Nobunaga or American Prohibition period shows??? How about a few more European medieval fantasies?
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
The more I look at these rankings the more I think it's obvious shows with smaller viewerbase have a huge advantage.

It would be cool to know how many different people on average voted for each show. Would put things in a better perspective.
Crunky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Crunky wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Crunky wrote:

I suppose you were looking for more harem shows, isekai, imouto, or giant robot shows? Or maybe some more Nobunaga or American Prohibition period shows??? How about a few more European medieval fantasies?

But yes a dark fantasy manga adaptation is the most groundbreaking thing to happen in anime in a season.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Crunky wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Crunky wrote:

But yes a dark fantasy manga adaptation is the most groundbreaking thing to happen in anime in a season.

It sure is Very Happy
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Quest's position in the cumulative rankings does seem to have benefited from it being a pretty volatile season week to week. Indeed Made in Abyss is the only show that seems to maintained a consistently high ranking. It also ended on a high note, whereas most of the other shows competing for top spot seem to have gone down in their final weeks.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
This system seems heavily biased towards shows with small viewerbases versus ones with larger ones. Most people dropped Sakura Quest before the end of the Spring season yet it shot up with its last episode same thing with Re:Creators.

First of all, where are you getting this viewerbase info?

Also, Sakura quest and RE:Creators both "shot up" in their last episode? If you look at the chart, they both WENT DOWN. Re:Creators in particular is interesting: episode 16 was a huge drop, which dropped further in the week between episode 16/17 when nothing aired, then it charged back up till it reached the top spot for episode 19, then it crashed back down to the 6th rank by the ending.

You could *maybe* argue a bunch of people stopped watching it after episode 16, which helped it rise to the top spot in 19... but that doesn't matter, because it still dropped down at the end and after the final episode, completely contrary to what you claimed.

Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Crunky wrote:

Allow me to get this off my chest. The industry is doing just fine and isn't going anywhere. Made in Abyss certainly is significant in that many who have watched it has clearly affected them in a big way. Even if it wasn't completely unique, that's not always a bad thing. Originality will not always guarantee success not will it always result in a quality product. That is not opinion, it's fact. What it seems like you're doing here is giving the show unnecessary hate that doesn't deserve it simply because it wasn't to your taste. It's not for everyone (Nothing will ever be liked by everybody ever), but your statements here will not change what the show is or has done, and that is a show that excels in storytelling and brought many people joy.

Anyway, I'm slightly surprised to see Sakura Quest rank 2nd. I enjoyed it, but didn't suspect it to have that much presence here in the rankings simply for the possibility that not many people watch shows like it. But it was an enjoyable show, at least, and that's what sticks with people.
Crunky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Crunky wrote:

First of all, where are you getting this viewerbase info?

Also, Sakura quest and RE:Creators both "shot up" in their last episode? If you look at the chart, they both WENT DOWN. Re:Creators in particular is interesting: episode 16 was a huge drop, which dropped further in the week between episode 16/17 when nothing aired, then it charged back up till it reached the top spot for episode 19, then it crashed back down to the 6th rank by the ending.

You could *maybe* argue a bunch of people stopped watching it after episode 16, which helped it rise to the top spot in 19... but that doesn't matter, because it still dropped down at the end and after the final episode, completely contrary to what you claimed.

The cumulative ranking had Sakura Quest and ReCreators move up to 2# and 3# respectively despite being out of the top 10 through most of the season abd tge community score never reflects the ranking. What tge hell are you talking about?
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Well Crunky you're welcome to tell us what kind of show IS groundbreaking and unique.

Personally I thought Made in Abyss was about as well made as anime can get. Heck the first episode alone, the way it let the viewer learn of the world and characters through natural dialogue and scenery instead of a narrative voice-over dumping a bucket of exposition on the viewer's head like 95% of fantasy anime does made me want to cry with happiness.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:

The cumulative ranking had Sakura Quest and ReCreators move up to 2# and 3# respectively despite being out of the top 10 through most of the season abd tge community score never reflects the ranking. What tge hell are you talking about?

Here's the cumulative score for Re:Creators and Sakura Quest. They were literally NEVER out of the top 10 at any point this season.

Also, even in the cumulative, Re: Creators still dropped last episode, and neither show moved much at all for the past few episodes before in the cumulative rankings. The last 4 episodes were stable for both of them.

And community score never reflects the rankings? These rankings are BASED on the ANN community scores. Can I ask what YOU are talking about?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3