• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - The Ancient Magus' Bride

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Old man buys underaged girl to make her his wife.

Uh, so, why isn't everyone screaming that this show should burn? Laughing

I know it's a lot less skeevy in execution but I wouldn't be surprised if some people were turned off by that description.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
Old man buys underaged girl to make her his wife.

I know it's a lot less skeevy in execution but I wouldn't be surprised if some people were turned off by that description.

Tbh, I avoided the manga a long time due to that bit of the plot summary, though I wasn't about to go around complaining about it having only read a plot summary. I don't remember what made me give it a try despite that, and was pleasantly surprised it wasn't of the sort of genre that kind of plot summary led me to believe it was.

As far as I read, the whole wife thing was pretty irrelevant, though. Still, I kind of wish they'd not gone there at all. Or, if it turns out it is relevant after all, there's still a chance I'd change my positive opinion of it, depending on how that plays out.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Anime shows have a pretty decent track record of not being completely horrible about wife husbandry when they are 100% honest about husbandry being an element of the show's premise.

In fact, whenever people have gotten up in arms about wife husbandry in anime or manga, it has usually been caused by the author not being entirely up front about husbandry being a part of the series - I can think of one particular title (spoiler[Usagi Drop]) that was extremely well-regarded until its latter half, when, following a time skip, the main character's adopted daughter became his love interest.
Calico

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although Cartaphilus looks like just a child, he is what the magi call the "Wandering Jew." No one knows his true form or motives. He merely acts according to his whimsy.

I'm not surprised when people of a one culture accidentally misrepresent a culture not their own, because no one's perfect. But I wish that the author would have at least put the effort into googling the context before using an anti-Semitic story like that.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
FYI: Silky is the spelling used in the embedded YouTube video, the Cast section, and also the manga, but the Characters section says Sikly instead.
Saidah Gilbert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
It sounds interesting so I may watch it. However,do you have to watch the OVA first?
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Saidah Gilbert wrote:
It sounds interesting so I may watch it. However,do you have to watch the OVA first?

No. In fact, don't watch the OVA first, because the OVA takes place sometime later in the series. Or at least the parts of the OVA in the present. After chapter 18 in the manga, according to ANN
Saidah Gilbert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Saidah Gilbert wrote:

No. In fact, don't watch the OVA first, because the OVA takes place sometime later in the series. Or at least the parts of the OVA in the present. After chapter 18 in the manga, according to ANN

Thanks for the reply.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for this to air.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the whole "I bought a wife" thing really puts me off but other than that its' a great series.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
I've been reading the manga and it's a lovely series! Don't let the whole "old man buys a wife" thing turn you off. It's NOTHING like a skeevy harem series. In fact, Elias and Chise's relationship is quite wholesome and platonic. As for the character described as a "wandering Jew" , it's a comment made in passing and so far, there's hardly anything Jewish about the character. If fact, he looks like a certain alchemist from another popular series. But I see his hair appears to be silver, in the manga, I assumed it was blonde. And actually, there is more than one "immortal" wandering character in the series. So I hope people will check out the series, because it really is a good story but I think the way it's often described turns people off. But it's not what you think, really!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1