• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, September 25-October 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes, glad to see Trails of Cold Steel 3 doing so well! I cannot wait to play this game in English, please get this game, XSeed! Now that 1 and 2 are on Steam, they're hopefully improving sales for them (vs PS3 and Vita before, but maybe on PSN for PS4 would help too?)
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Yes, glad to see Trails of Cold Steel 3 doing so well! I cannot wait to play this game in English, please get this game, XSeed! Now that 1 and 2 are on Steam, they're hopefully improving sales for them (vs PS3 and Vita before, but maybe on PSN for PS4 would help too?)

It has too be localized....as far as im concerned its on par with the Persona series as the best jrpg series active atm.

may take some time with the amount of dialog it has, but I see no reason why they wouldn't release it over here.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is, I kind of got it initially because a friend said it reminded him of Persona a bit and I did need something to tide me over. But I wasn't expecting it to be the only other recent JRPG series to stand toe to toe with Persona just in general. So if anyone else out there has beaten Persona 5 and needs another fix of RPG with great story and characters, grab this (either on PS3, Vita, or Steam now).

I'm more concerned if Cold Steel 1 and 2 sold well enough to justify bringing over 3, since PS3 was kind of on its way out when it got released over here (and Vita has never been that popular in the US), but now that it's on steam, that kind of changes things a bit. But with 1 and 2, they were released here pretty close together (with a special edition box meant to hold both parts) so I'm guessing they had them together in the license deal from the get go.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Fire Emblem Musou has average sales, if it flops, I would be surprised.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Cold Steel has been one of X-Seeds best releases recently. If they don't release CS3, it's going to be because the PC ports of CS1 and CS2 didn't sell well. Trails in the Sky's finally done so I'm hoping Azure and Zero will get localized one day.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
The funny thing is, I kind of got it initially because a friend said it reminded him of Persona a bit and I did need something to tide me over. But I wasn't expecting it to be the only other recent JRPG series to stand toe to toe with Persona just in general. So if anyone else out there has beaten Persona 5 and needs another fix of RPG with great story and characters, grab this (either on PS3, Vita, or Steam now).

I'm more concerned if Cold Steel 1 and 2 sold well enough to justify bringing over 3, since PS3 was kind of on its way out when it got released over here (and Vita has never been that popular in the US), but now that it's on steam, that kind of changes things a bit. But with 1 and 2, they were released here pretty close together (with a special edition box meant to hold both parts) so I'm guessing they had them together in the license deal from the get go.

I was exactly the same with getting into it because a friend told me it had similarities to Persona. I loved both Cold Steel games, and just recently went through the In the Sky games. Those were, imo, arguably better than Cold Steel too.

Great to see it doing well. I'm pretty confident it will come over here, it's just a matter of time. The stories take so many twists and turns that it's really important to not be spoiled, and I worry that spoilers are going to float around pretty heavily so I don't want it to be too long before I get to play it. That said, it's obviously more important that they do a good job with everything in it, so if it takes 2 or 3 years I guess that's just how long I'll have to wait. Ah, the constraints of being an avid fan of foreign media with little working knowledge of the home language...
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I hope cold steel 3 comes out in the US faster then the last 2 games spoiler[also can't wait for cold steel 4 and hopefully we get a Magical Alisa spin off game]
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
People tend to see something at #1 and assume it did well. That's not always the case. Cold Steel 2 sold 150,000 units first week across Vita and PS3. CS3 dropped about half of the game's audience. This is the lowest mainline Kiseki debut since the series originally ditched PCs in 2007. Falcom made a big mistake abandoning handhelds.

Also, Steamspy sales figures for Cold Steel are incredibly unimpressive. That audience tends to only buy late ports if they're priced like a pack of gum, become a meme or have massive hype behind them. Falcom's low end, narrative heavy RPGs don't exactly lend themselves to any of that. But don't worry, the performance of CS&2 on PC is irrelevant to CS3 getting localized. The first two games were already successful on Vita and PS3 in the west.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
Those total numbers for Fire Emblem Warriors is about 10K lower than Hyrule Warriors' debut. I wonder they'll consider that a success regardless.

theNightster wrote:
I hope cold steel 3 comes out in the US faster then the last 2 games spoiler[also can't wait for cold steel 4 and hopefully we get a Magical Alisa spin off game]

Aren't they done with the Cold Steel stuff with this 3rd game? I'm hoping they start doing a new game in the Calvard region.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
A bit surprising that FIFA 18 is No. 2 on the chart, despite little fanfare...
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Those total numbers for Fire Emblem Warriors is about 10K lower than Hyrule Warriors' debut. I wonder they'll consider that a success regardless.

theNightster wrote:

Aren't they done with the Cold Steel stuff with this 3rd game? I'm hoping they start doing a new game in the Calvard region.
you have to see the ending to understand spoiler[game 3 got split into two and the game ends with a teaser for "sen no kiseki the final saga"]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1