• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Made in Abyss Composer Kevin Penkin

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I wonder what kind of release schedule those will be on. I'm going to be buying every one, but don't know if I should bother waiting, or dig in online now(I don't really like reading manga online, but I'll do anything for MiA lol).

According to their website, so far... Vol. 1 on 01/02, Vol. 2 on 04/24, and Vol. 3 on 07/31.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It was entirely absent or very low on most "most anticipated" lists. And only those intimately familiar with animation production or the original manga, were talking about it at all. A sleeper hit is generally something that was unexpectedly popular, which would describe Made in Abyss for a very large segment of the fandom.

That's just it: It was unknown by Joe Anime Fan overseas, but the manga already had a lot of renown in Japan and was highly anticipated. Frankly, the average CR subscriber doesn't know much and shouldn't be the litmus test unless you're specifically talking about the Western fandom.
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Is Kevin Penkin fluent in Japanese?

If he was given the first four volumes to use as source material, were they given to him untranslated or translated? Or did he just look at the pictures to get a feeling for the material?

It doesn't seem likely that he would just look at the pictures. So he is either Japanese literate or there's already a fully translated copy of the work floating around. Or is fansubs the answer...

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%40kevinpenkin&l=ja&src=typd
He tweets in Japanese too (and very natural one), so I think it's safe to say he has high level Japanese language ability.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
@EmperorBrandon Dang.... Crying or Very sad

aereus wrote:

That's just it: It was unknown by Joe Anime Fan overseas, but the manga already had a lot of renown in Japan and was highly anticipated. Frankly, the average CR subscriber doesn't know much and shouldn't be the litmus test unless you're specifically talking about the Western fandom.

I don't actually remember seeing anyone call it a sleeper hit in this thread, to be honest, but if they did, they probably were speaking about the Western Fandom. That being said, personally, I'd call it a sleeper hit everywhere, including(maybe even especially) Japan. When I said it was absent or low on anticipated lists, I was referring to JP lists as well. As far as notable Western lists, it is not on ANN's poll(I would not classify ANN users as your average Joe Anime Fan overseas) but it also doesn't show up on any of the Japanese "Most Anticipated" lists that I've seen. These, for example. I wouldn't call readers of Anime specific JP sites and magazines Average Joe Anime Fans either.

To be honest, after looking at over a dozen Summer's Most Anticipated Anime polls, only one of them has Made in Abyss even in the Top 10(A Western poll, at that). And it's on a technicality, because it's only at #8 with, specifically, men. The combined poll kicks it out as well. So, yeah, I would call Made in Abyss pretty much the poster child definition of a sleeper hit. We'll see how big of a hit it actually becomes, but it's certainly gone from non-existent in almost every fan's eyes, to at least critically regarded as the best thing of the season.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
Great interview. And his soundtrack for this really was fantastic.

relyat08 wrote:
I've always been curious to learn how much input composers have over the specific scenes where their music eventually plays during a film/anime/show. I imagine it depends quite a lot, but it's interesting how little information they have sometimes when creating a piece of music. Especially since specific location of the music often plays as much a role in its effectiveness as the track itself.

Yeah, I love all the details he was able to give us a little peak at in the interview.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2