• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Ghoul:re Manga Gets Anime in 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
Cool I'm definitely looking forward to this! Then again I'm one of the few people who just doesn't care if an anime follows the source material exactly.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote
Just to confirm, this is season 3 (the sequel to root) correct? If so cant wait.
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Cool I'm definitely looking forward to this! Then again I'm one of the few people who just doesn't care if an anime follows the source material exactly.

I also don't mind if anime don't follow the source material exactly, just so long as it's decent. The first FMA anime is an example of that. That isn't the case here. The majority of the changes from the last season weren't justified and never really went anywhere which begs the question as to why they did it at all. It's pretty clear that the studio didn't expect the series to become as popular as it did, which is why their handling of it was so haphazard. But the biggest problem as I mentioned before is that it's fundamentally impossible to adapt :Re as a continuation to Root A. Especially after the last episode of that season. Too many central plot points that are essential to :Re have either been done away with, killed off, or haven't been properly mentioned. The ending of Route A was basically anime original. How they'll tackle this problem is anyone's guess, but the only logical route they can take at this point would be to completely disregard the events that took place last time. But this is studio pierrot we're talking about. They're not exactly known for making the best decisions.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Just to confirm, this is season 3 (the sequel to root) correct? If so cant wait.

We know it's season 3, but we're not sure if it's the sequel to Root A cause Root went anime original and screwed up a lot of character development and some of the plot.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
Please imagine this -

All in one season:
Attack on Titan S3
My Hero Academia S3
A Certain Magical Index S3
Sword Art Online S3
Code Geass S3: Revival of Lelouch
Tokyo Ghoul: Re

(+Other sequels: FLCL 2 & 3, Encouragement of Climb S3, B-Project S2, Saiki Kusou S2, Full Metal Panic IV)

Doubt this will actually happen, but still!

You forgot:
One-Punch Man 2
Knights of Sidonia 3
Drifters 2
Mekakucity Reload
Steins;Gate 0
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
Prepare for another manga-ruining anime. I wish I wasn’t pessimistic, but the studio already gave the finger to the manga continuity, which everyone knows is superior in this case, so them suddenly adapting the manga again is going to be a doozy. At least it might not be overly preachy and inactive like Root A, I guess.
MsVitchDa2nd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Prepare for another manga-ruining anime. I wish I wasn’t pessimistic, but the studio already gave the finger to the manga continuity, which everyone knows is superior in this case, so them suddenly adapting the manga again is going to be a doozy. At least it might not be overly preachy and inactive like Root A, I guess.

you're making it sound like this manga doesnt deserve an anime, u do realize it'll help boost the sales right.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
Sigh here ann go with the fake news agia......oh oh snap actual reliable sources, well ill be damned.

What language are you speaking?
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
andyos wrote:
This is pure speculation, but Blue Exorcist Kyoto Arc set a precedent for 'rewinding' an anime back to where it diverged from the source manga and starting again fresh from that point. So one option would be to present this as a direct sequel to the first Ghoul anime season, carrying on from its last episode, and ignore Root A.

Impossible, they never finished the OG manga in the first place. We also missing a ton of characters and the final arc of the OG manga. Its impossible to go from Root A to RE since theres no way to know what happened between the two.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:
My question is how they're even capable of adapting this, given the fact that they cut out so much content in the last season that was essential to this one. Are they just gonna ignore Root A and just adapt the manga for what it is?

One way to do it is to add in the necessary context into this adaptation itself. Of course, that requires a writer who understands what needs to be told to make a story comprehensible and can refrain from assuming the viewer knows as much as the writer does.

ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
andyos wrote:
This is pure speculation, but Blue Exorcist Kyoto Arc set a precedent for 'rewinding' an anime back to where it diverged from the source manga and starting again fresh from that point. So one option would be to present this as a direct sequel to the first Ghoul anime season, carrying on from its last episode, and ignore Root A.

Kuroshitsuji did that as well. Honestly, given how hard it would be to set up :Re from Root A, I'd say that they will probably do that.

Oh, did they cut out so much that it'd be that difficult? If that's the case, I'm okay with a "rewind" then.

FackuIkari wrote:
First: how?

Second: why?

Third: Seriously, HOW?

Tokyo Ghoul was a success and executives wanted more. That's the "why." As for the "how," well, as the old saying goes, where there's a will, there's a way.

Random Name wrote:

I don't care either. I did not like Tokyo Ghoul Root A though, and because I haven't read the manga, what I don't like about Root A is wholly based on what I saw in the anime.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
andyos wrote:

Kuroshitsuji did that as well. Honestly, given how hard it would be to set up :Re from Root A, I'd say that they will probably do that.

They need to do that ! Because Root A was botched beyond comprehension and well they need to not repeat their mistakes again.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I caught the final episode of Root A on Adult Swim Saturday and boy did it not make a lick of sense at the tail end of it. Like the last part of it has Ken walking with his friend's dead body for an agonizing amount of time and then getting approached by the CCG people and then it just ends apparently.

And I'm been trying to watch some of it on Adult Swim though most of is pretty awful looking, part of it was the dub for it was pretty atrocious by Funimation standards and yes some of it was I only caught episodes of Root A which I have heard is worse than the first season which I haven't seen.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
If anyone want's to watch the :re adaptation then I advise them to read the last 7 volumes of the part 1 TG first otherwise they'll be completely lost. Viz just released the last volume of part 1 a few months ago.
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I can dig this. This series has been a frustrating experience for me. I loved the first season and thought the final episode was one of the best anime episodes I've ever seen. Then of course root A happened, which was just a complete mess. That kind of soured me on the series for a bit until I picked up the manga. I love Sui Ishida's art, but it can be hard to follow sometimes. Combine that with a huge cast of characters and sometimes I found myself lost as to what was going on. All that being said, this is still a great series overall and I look forward to another season (especially if they do overwrite root A since I didn't even finish it).
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited. I didn't watch TG, but I did read the manga. Which reminds me I should catch up with TG: Re. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4