• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MEGA ANSWERMAN!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baisengan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Worst manga... do doujinshi count?

Because I found this Slayers scat doujinshi once. I don't think I need to go any further into detail, other than, perhaps, saying that Naga's "fudge factory" was an important plot point.

oh god...that's just wrong...
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
I'd say that was an OK column.

I should probably be glad that we got as many as two language-related questions; these always grab my interest, but on the other hand, they always make me want to join in on the discussion. Embarassed

Your answer on the "chan" issue was perfect, Mr Zac, and I think you handled the swearing one pretty well too. Personally, I cringe every time I see a swear word dropped into a subtitle, mostly because fansubbers seem to tend to dump them in there just because they think it's cool while they're actually ruining a dramatic moment. Nevertheless, I fortunately have the option of ignoring such subtitles, as most of the time I understand what's being said anyway. It still annoys me a little, though.

Oh, and I didn't read most of the Answerfan section this time, mostly because I think it's a "meh" question. Wink
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
minakichan wrote:
Ughhh, Pocky is SO overrated. There are so many better cheapo Asian snacks, like mocha cappuchino chocolate flute wafers and Hello Panda. But no, everyone goes for the Pocky. And the ramen. Disgusting.

Personally, I prefer those chocolate-filled koala bear cookie things, whatever they're called.

OMG I LOVE THOSE. Not a huge fan of the strawberry or cheesecake ones, but seriously. Awesome.

One of my Japanese professors when I was studying in Japanese said that if you found a koala with eyebrows in there, it was good luck. The one with the eyebrows has a sad face and is holding a sign that says "gomen." It's adorable.

About the column...all I really have to say is that I find it incredibly stupid that anyone would consider the first amendment at all valid in the whole fansub debate.

Cain Highwind wrote:
[quote=Zac]1. The proper way to pronounce that suffix is "chawn"(although I think "chän" is probably a better representation of the phonetic spelling), like you're hearing in those dubs and con videos. People are used to saying "Chan" like "Charlie Chan" or "Jackie Chan" and so the word gets mispronounced. Also, I'm not sure about your Japanese listening comprehension skills but I've never heard the suffix pronounced "Chan" like "Jackie Chan" in a Japanese language track.

Thanks for answering my questions Anime smile

Yeah I know a lot of A's in Japanese are supposed to be pronounced like "Ah" Otherwise we'd have titles like "Wanma". But, I guess I'm just going nuts because a lot of "Chans" seem to sound like that to me. Oh well, mystery solved, thanks again.[/quote]

Actually, 'ah' is the only way the character A is pronounced in Japanese. Razz

About the swearing in dubs...the person used Samurai Champloo as an example, but I have to ask if he watched it on TV or DVD, because to my recollection, it wasn't that clean of a dub. I know they jiwajiwaed over some swearing on the adult swim broadcast. Regardless, Mugen comes across as just aggressive as his Japanese counterpart in English even if he doesn't swear as much. It's more about tone than the actual words anyway.

Last edited by Cowboy Cadenza on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quote
Pocky is cool, more like Marie's biscuit cookies so the basic cookie isn't really sweet like a lot of American stuff can be, so the frosting being sweet makes a nice compliment. Koala Yummies are good, but being more frosting than cookie, it's more like a candy than a cookie. The Asian (Vietnamese?)shop by me had a competing brand of filled bear cookies (Pandas? I forget now since it's been a year) that was a bit more to my liking as they weren't as sickeningly sweet,but I really prefer the strawberry Pocky blend. However, getting bent over cookies is really too much. It's like calling for death to all who hate chocolate chip cookies.
Plus there's so many flavors with Pockey. I didn't pick up the Green Tea ones when they had them at Mitsuwa & I haven't seen them since. Strawberry is a pretty good sweet/bland combination. The Milk was different. Chocolate doesn't do anything for me & I don't really like dark chocolate, so I've never tried the Men's Pocky.

Hey, ramen's not a bad cheap dinner.

As for the swears, I'd argue mufurc's insistance on F's & S's. Those are the swears of kids & arguably less educated vs better educated. I favor Hell's Bells & damnation myself. And Puppies fudge. How do we know some of these characters wouldn't translate to the British swear system & someone should be saying bloody hell? Why does everyone have to use the same swears? I've seen the same word translated everywhere from the swearing extreme (bastard) to mild (idiot) & it does really affect the characters. In Japan the swears are different-why do they have to be brought down to the lowest common denominator? Why can't we see some variety to it? Because the scriptwriter isn't versatile enough to come up with stuff outside the standard 5 or so?
Trust me, when Japan wants to drop the f-bomb, one usually hears "F^^^" in the Japanese dialogue so they have incorporated our word into their language so if you don't hear it, they don't mean that. If you're dealing with an alternate world or aliens, why can't they go the old Battlestar Galactica route & make their own the censors can't tell if they're bad or not? The Galactica people bragged about that one back when the first series aired-the censors couldn't censor their swears.

In its way, adding swears is mucking with the translation & just as bad as any other translation errors. It's pretty evident in Japanese they took care to make Goku, ChiChi & Ox King speak somewhat more rustic than Vegeta & Bulma--more country folk vs city folk.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Zac wrote:
Personally, I prefer those chocolate-filled koala bear cookie things, whatever they're called.

Could it be Koala Yummies?! Those ARE awesome.

Though unfortunately they changed the English name back to the Japanese name, "Koala's March." Guess someone told the Japanese what a candy-ass name Koala Yummies is (even though it's much more appropriate than Koala's March). Oh well.

My gf loves those things herself, and strawberry pocky. I guess know whose house she's staying at right now. She's also a Ramune junkie. I myself prefer those little soda candies. That or the high chews (right name?). They remind me of a Japanese Starburst or Now and Later. As for pocky, I like it but saying pocky is the best Japanese candy or best tasting snack is like saying chocolate chip cookies are the best cookies period. They also are the easiest to find in America so that no doubt helps out their popularity.

baisengan wrote:
i can't believe people think that fansubs are protected by the 1st amendment...

Hey, up until not that long ago people thought the Earth was flat. Those people did unfortunately breed. So here we are with the flakes. I personally think the gene pool could use a little chlorine myself.

I also must say I must just be old or not hip because I have not once understood the hype behind saying "meh." As if the constant ummmssss and uuuhhhhhhssss weren't enough now we have meh's. Soon we won't speak coherently at all but just make grunting noises as we devolve back to cave people.
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:53 am Reply with quote
I blame the explosion of Pocky to anime on Onegai/Please Teacher. The worse manga? D.N. Angel - I'm not too sure who it's suppose to be aimed at but as a 23 yr male, I'm pretty sure this isn't for me >>
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:06 am Reply with quote
The whole Chan thing suprised me. I would have described it as being pronounced chan like Jakie Chan. I just assumed that the "a" sounded more soft because it was spoken in Japanese with a Japanese accent. I never really considered those to be different pronounciations.

Pocky is okay. Its a good snacking food since its not messy or sticky if you hold it on the end. You don't have to keep reaching for the bag every few seconds like with chips. I guess this probably isn't why most people like it though.

psycho 101 wrote:
baisengan wrote:
i can't believe people think that fansubs are protected by the 1st amendment...

Hey, up until not that long ago people thought the Earth was flat. Those people did unfortunately breed. So here we are with the flakes. I personally think the gene pool could use a little chlorine myself.

Well I can at least understand that. Look around...it looks flat. Where people get into some delusional idea that the first ammendment protects pretty much any activity, I have no idea.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:27 am Reply with quote
I thought the absence of Answerman last week was deliberate – I was beginning to think that Answerman columns only come every other week.

I wish I can get my hands on some pocky. I don’t think I’ve eaten some before. BUT, I have tasted Hello Panda. I still buy those Laughing

I like the second flake better. You have to give him credit for taking the initiative.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:46 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

The person asking about swearing in English dubs should watch more English dubs on DVD and less on TV...I've never seen a fansub with more f-bombs than ADV's Gantz dub, to name one example.

They should try the Cyber City Oedo or Angel Cop dubs. Oh, 90's anime dubs and your mounds and mounds of f-bombs, where have you gone?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote
chaosbladeuk wrote:
I blame the explosion of Pocky to anime on Onegai/Please Teacher.

I'm more surprised that no one mentioned it until the 21st post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JnxCsc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:06 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I thought the absence of Answerman last week was deliberate – I was beginning to think that Answerman columns only come every other week.

I wish I can get my hands on some pocky. I don’t think I’ve eaten some before. BUT, I have tasted Hello Panda. I still buy those Laughing

I like the second flake better. You have to give him credit for taking the initiative.

If you have a Super Walmart where you live they may carry pocky. I was walking down the candy asle of my Walmart one day and there they were, chocolate pocky! Shocked

I haven't tried them yet but I will. Plus they're only 88 cents.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
Hello Panda, Hello Panda. It's still one of my favorites.

Choosing out of the three most commonly available Japanese snacks around here (Pocky, Hello Panda and Yan Yan), Pocky easily ranks last, while Hello Panda and Yan Yan are in a tie taste-wise. Hello Panda wins for me, since it's a lot less messy than Yan Yan. Anime hyper

But the Pocky situation here has really improved. Around 2002, it's a tough proposition to look for even a single box of the stuff, while now, it's practically in most major supermarkets, although there are usually only two or three flavors that are available... Anime cry
01N10A01N

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
JnxCsc wrote:

If you have a Super Walmart where you live they may carry pocky. I was walking down the candy asle of my Walmart one day and there they were, chocolate pocky! Shocked

I haven't tried them yet but I will. Plus they're only 88 cents.

I don't live in what you would call a very "Urban" area and they are also available at Super WalMart (Next to the La Choy). In fact every supermarket within 15 miles of where I live (all 4 of them), except Save-A-Lot carries Pocky for about $1.00 a box.

I prefer the strawberry variety to the chocolate. Imagine a sesame stick dipped in chocolate or strawberry yogurt and that is Pocky. Although they don't stand out as a great snack they are oddly addictive.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
LavenderAna wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
What are those little chocolate cones with ridges called? The ones that are half strawberry-chocolate and half regular chocolate? Anyway, those are my favorites.

You mean Caplico? I agree, those are the best Very Happy

I just found it. They're called Apollo Chocolate, which I thought was a brand name or something. I don't think I've heard of Caplico, but it looks good. I want to try some of those Koala Yummies... those look really good! Anime smallmouth
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:

Thanks for answering my questions Anime smile

Yeah I know a lot of A's in Japanese are supposed to be pronounced like "Ah" Otherwise we'd have titles like "Wanma". But, I guess I'm just going nuts because a lot of "Chans" seem to sound like that to me. Oh well, mystery solved, thanks again.

I thought so too when I first started watching fansubs, but after I watched for awhile I decided that I was "expecting" to hear the american "a". Consequently, I heard chan instead of chawn.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8