• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's My-Hime, My-Otome Home Video Releases Slated for January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
Hell yes.

angelmcazares wrote:
It is good to finally have a release date for Kabaneri. It is a gorgeous looking show that should benefit with a dub.

This.
Can't wait to re-watch this on blu-ray with a dub.

pajmo9 wrote:
The Hime/Otome serieses and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress will finally be mine on Blu-ray.

I guess it would be too much to ask to finally get a dub for My-Otome 0~S.ifr~.

Same, will be picking these up right away.

Yeah, it would be awesome if they'd dub these ones that didn't get them since so much of the franchise was, but it sadly kind of seems unlikely.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
but the real question is how will they pull off releasing the OVAs? while hime and otome was definitely dubbed by Bandai back in 2004, their OVAs wasn't. does this mean their gonna do what sentai did with infinite stratos' OVA and leave it sub only?

Zwei was dubbed. Just 0.Sifr wasn't.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I've been waiting for this My Hime series reissue, especially since I cracked a DVD trying to get it out of Bandai's Anime Legend pack.

Ah, so this happened to you too? It never happened to me (though I did have a VERY hard time taking one of them out, I think it was Disc 6) but I remember this being a big discussion on the old AnimeOnDVD/Mania forums since it happened with other people there (pretty sure it was in the same thread about the set having fixed copies of the first few volumes).

Quote:
I'm just not sure it needs to be on Blu Ray. I love the score, both audio tracks are good/great... I like Blue Water Studios.... and the production design is fun but it's very much a SD project of its time and I don't how well it will hold up under scrutiny.

IIRC, the Japanese Blu-ray Boxes for both Hime & Otome were in HD, not upscaled, so it should be good. They also had the English dub & subs included (except on the Otome OVAs which was weird in Zwei's case since that did get dubbed) so we shouldn't have to worry about another Code Geass R2 situation happening.

EDIT: My-HiME Blu-ray screencaps found here.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Glad that this is getting a BD release. I still have my old ones. Maybe eventually I'll upgrade the older copies at the library since everything is being upgraded little by little. Glad to see that "Kabaneri" is getting a release. I may grab this on a blind buy if I don't get a chance to watch it.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
It's about time that we're getting these. It's been quite a while since Funimation "rescued" them (it's not much of a rescue when it's not released).

These are great series, and it'll be great for them to be finally released in the US on Blu-ray.

I'd have thought that they'd dub S.Ifr while they were at it given that Funimation normally dubs stuff and there's all of two characters in it who were in the main series (and thus, they wouldn't have a big problem with lots of characters being recast and annoying the fans), and it's not much to dub - but since they don't seem to have said anything about that, I guess that we're just getting the subs - which isn't ideal, but oh well. I prefer to have a dub, but I'm fine with subs too. Either way, it'll be great to have it on Blu-ray.

LOL. I own the Bandai releases for everything, but I don't think that I ever opened the one for S.Ifr, because it was DVD-only, and there were fansubs of the JP Blu-rays, so that's what I actually watched.

It's too bad that they never continued with the storyline that they seemed to be starting with S.Ifr, but I guess that it didn't do well enough in Japan to merit it. It stands quite well on its own though without the continuation. I've rewatched S.Ifr far more than the rest.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
But sure, one's a present day fantasy, the other's an alternate world, future fantasy and definitely not a retelling at all. That's a given, any other speculation as to how they're connected is unproven for some reason.

Yeah, but which one's the "yuri one", that's what people really want to know!

Otome is the "Yuri one"!!!!!!

Otome is the blatantly yuri one. Hime still had yuri elements to it especially with a certain couple. They were just blatant about them in Otome. Honestly though I feel Hime had the better story and character development.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Otome is the blatantly yuri one. Hime still had yuri elements to it especially with a certain couple. They were just blatant about them in Otome. Honestly though I feel Hime had the better story and character development.

In spite of its racier elements, Otome felt to me like it was aimed at a younger audience than Hime was (certainly, Hime was much darker, and Otome's main characters were less mature). And in some respects, I think that Hime did have a better story as a result, but ultimately, I found that I enjoyed Otome more in spite of that. Hime gets dark enough starting in the middle or so that I have a hard time rewatching it, whereas Otome is a lot of fun to rewatch, much as I'd have prefered more mature leads. Certainly, if they were to expand on one of the two series, I'd want more Otome rather than more Hime.

I do find it kind of funny though that in spite of how dark it gets, Hime has spoiler[pretty much no negative consequences in the end, since everyone who dies is restored], whereas even though Otome doesn't have those dark elements, spoiler[the bad stuff that happens tends to stick; its characters who die don't come back to life].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2