• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MEGA ANSWERMAN!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I found Pocky in New York when I was over there last summer, but when I read the ingredients I was shock at how much of it was chemical additives and colourants and how little of it was food. I passed. I love organic ramen as you can add virtually anything edible into it and it turns out delicious.

About swearing in dubs, sometimes they add swear words in just to jack up the rating to make it look like it's a more mature title to give it more street cred. I hate it when they do that.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
chaosbladeuk wrote:
I blame the explosion of Pocky to anime on Onegai/Please Teacher.
dormcat wrote:

I'm more surprised that no one mentioned it until the 21st post.

I really don't think it's relevant. Pocky was popular with anime fans before Onegai Teacher.

-t
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Although...

A friend of mine went to Hungary this last summer and brought back some crazy hippo-shaped cookies with chocolate-dot eyes, dipped in white chocolate around the waterline and stuffed with a kind of marshmallow cream that I would put up against Pocky any day.

Mmmmm, hippos!
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I tend to buy Pepero (a Korean knock-off) rather than Pocky because it's a lot cheaper at the local Korean food store, and tastes about the same. (The plain chocolate versions, at least.) I find they're a good food to keep in my desk for when I need a mid-morning pick-me-up; each stick has only 11 calories.

To tie two questions together, it interests me how most American fans I've encountered pronounce "Pocky" as though it were English ("pawkie") rather than with a more Japanese-sounding "O". That by itself isn't surprising, but the fact that I've never encountered anyone who's bothered by the fact is, a bit.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
JnxCsc wrote:
jetz wrote:
I thought the absence of Answerman last week was deliberate – I was beginning to think that Answerman columns only come every other week.

I wish I can get my hands on some pocky. I don’t think I’ve eaten some before. BUT, I have tasted Hello Panda. I still buy those Laughing

I like the second flake better. You have to give him credit for taking the initiative.

If you have a Super Walmart where you live they may carry pocky. I was walking down the candy asle of my Walmart one day and there they were, chocolate pocky! Shocked

I haven't tried them yet but I will. Plus they're only 88 cents.

In the mall near my school, there's a Japanese novelty store that sells all manner of Japanese snack food, but it's damn expensive. It's like $10-15 for a box of giant Pocky. Not worth it, IMO.
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
It's like $10-15 for a box of giant Pocky. Not worth it, IMO.

Wow. That's worse than what Suncoast charged for the giant boxes.

I consider the ultimate Japanese snack food to be Haichu/Hi-Chew. Imagine fruit flavored candy that has the texture of bubble gum. Delicious. Too bad they don't have that in the US (or Meiji-brand chocolate and melon pan).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpikesGrrl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
JnxCsc wrote:
jetz wrote:
I thought the absence of Answerman last week was deliberate – I was beginning to think that Answerman columns only come every other week.

I wish I can get my hands on some pocky. I don’t think I’ve eaten some before. BUT, I have tasted Hello Panda. I still buy those Laughing

I like the second flake better. You have to give him credit for taking the initiative.

If you have a Super Walmart where you live they may carry pocky. I was walking down the candy asle of my Walmart one day and there they were, chocolate pocky! Shocked

I haven't tried them yet but I will. Plus they're only 88 cents.

they have them at the Super Wal-Mart near were I live but they are in the Asian food section and they have both strawberry & chocolate

Mary
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Sarah Patterson's post on the anime/manga question. It was not only well argued but beautifully written.

I haven't read enough manga to have an answer on the "worst manga" issue--the least favorite in my small collection is Yotsuba&!, but that's only in comparison to the awesomeness that is Azumanga Daioh--it just didn't grab me the same way. The two volumes I have are still fun to read.
jedigriever

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Neither one. Read a book.

The answer is "music". Anime or manga? Meh.

Meh. Neither.

Meh. Anime and manga are the same. People should watch the news.

lol.. and yet they're taking the time to read and reply to an anime and manga related article in an anime and manga website.. some people have too much free time on their hands
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
mokuhazushi wrote:
I really liked Sarah Patterson's post on the anime/manga question. It was not only well argued but beautifully written.

I haven't read enough manga to have an answer on the "worst manga" issue--the least favorite in my small collection is Yotsuba&!, but that's only in comparison to the awesomeness that is Azumanga Daioh--it just didn't grab me the same way. The two volumes I have are still fun to read.

Ha, the worst manga I've actually taken the time to read is probably Death Note. I don't dislike Death Noter or anything, it's just that it's the worst of the six titles of which I've actually read a significant amount. It's up against Monster, Berserk, Hellsing, One Piece and Bokurano, so it's definitely not a "Death Note SUX!!11" deal.
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused by this "chan" and "chawn" business. All I hear is "chan", and I can only imagine it being pronounced "chawn" if it was said by somebody with an American accent. Isn't it just supposed to have an extended vowel sound?

Also, I don't think Pocky is something people bum just because it's associated to anime fandom. I fell in love with the stuff in France where they have a copy called "Mikado". (Mind you, I think chocolate covered pretzels are just as nice and I may only like this crap so much because you never find it in the UK D: D: D: ).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
That was some flake, trying to burn Zac out.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, the pronunciation nazi in me cant resist this one.
What do you mean by 'chawn'? As in, rhymes with 'shaun'? (the name?)
Because...that's really incorrect. It's like 'chaan'. If you say it fast, it almost comes out 'chun'.
I've only been studying japanese 5 years so I dont claim to be some amazing guru on it; but how to pronounce vowel sounds is the most basic of basics.
EDIT= Those flakes looked pretty fake to me. You can tell now if they just say 'naruto' in them. xD'
EDIT2=typo'd 'guru' into 'guro'. -smirk-

Last edited by championferret on Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
ruro niko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The "fansubs being protected by the first amendment" argument doesn't really work for me, and I've been studying the first amendment in most of my journalism classes for the last year or two. The only way to make that work would be to get it to fall under fair use, and I'm fairly certain fansubs don't meet those requirements.

I am interested about the question of asking permission for showings, particularly to the "general rule that nobody really cares if you show something to your anime club." I know not all clubs do this, but I also know that a lot of the clubs I was looking into when trying to restructure and improve our club do ask for permissions. They also tend to have a more set schedule where they can ask for permission for the specific dates that most companies ask for, as opposed to us where we're lucky if we know what we're showing a week in advance. This has been on my mind lately as I've taken upon more responsibility in the club. I've been wondering how necessary it would be for a nonprofit club that collects no dues or any money whatsoever related to watching the anime to actually ask permission for series.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
Although...

A friend of mine went to Hungary this last summer and brought back some crazy hippo-shaped cookies with chocolate-dot eyes, dipped in white chocolate around the waterline and stuffed with a kind of marshmallow cream that I would put up against Pocky any day.

Mmmmm, hippos!

Oh God yes, you speak of Happy Hippos, the most glorious candy/snack ever invented. It's like Koala Yummies x1000. I tried them when I went to Italy because the name amused me, and then I was blown away. They're wafer cookies filled with a milky cream together with either a hazelnut or chocolate cream, and it is amazing. Years after trying them in Italy, someone suggested I look on Amazon to see if they had any import food. I ended up ordering a case. ^^;;;

When I first started going to cons, I was kind of confused at the obsession with Pocky. My parents had bought the snack at Chinese grocery stores since I was little, so they were no big thing to me. I kind of like almond-chocolate Pepero the best, anyway when it comes to Pocky-stick-biscuit snacks. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8